LoriV

6 posts in this topic

Sonia sent along a link to her new website and is inviting everyone for a visit!

Sonia Copeland Bloom

The books are doing very well, with rumours swirling that they may become animated films! She'll be appearing on ITV's Daybreak (Breakfast TV) on Thursday. She's arranging for this clip to go on the website shortly after it airs--so those of us over this side of the pond need not worry!

Any feedback on the site is most welcome!

Kent Online carried a story about Sonia's TV appearance promoting her new butterfly book.

<snip>

Her son Orlando, who is in New Zealand filming, has sponsored the newest book, which is backing efforts to save the UK’s threatened butterflies.Crystal, the Small Miracle, mixes fact and fiction in the life story of a butterfly from a tiny egg. It is published by wildlife charity Butterfly Conservation.

Bloom, 34, who became a father earlier this year, said:“The story of Crystal, the Small Miracle, written by my mother for children everywhere, reflects her own love of butterflies as well as her passion for children to be educated about the insect world in general.”

The book is dedicated to Flynn, Bloom’s son with his Australian model wife Miranda Kerr.

<snip>

Thanks, Jill. :)

Here's a similar article from Butterfly Conservation:

ctsm001.jpg

Bloom Backs Butterflies

Hollywood star Orlando Bloom has backed efforts to save the UK's threatened butterflies by sponsoring a book aimed at helping children engage with the natural world.

Bloom, 34, who has recently become a father, has sponsored Crystal, the Small Miracle, a children's book about butterflies.

The Lord of the Rings actor, who is currently in New Zealand filming The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, said: "Butterflies are powerful symbols of the beauty and vulnerability of nature."

Crystal, the Small Miracle, mixes fact and fiction to chart the life story of a butterfly from tiny egg to fully formed butterfly.

The "faction" book was written by Orlando's mother, the celebrated author Sonia Copeland Bloom and is published by wildlife charity Butterfly Conservation.

Orlando, who is married to Australian model Miranda Kerr, added: "I am delighted to back Butterfly Conservation and their efforts to ensure that these wonderful insects are conserved for future generations to enjoy.

"The story of Crystal, the Small Miracle, written by my mother for children everywhere, reflects her own love of butterflies as well as her passion for children to be educated about the insect world in general."

Sonia Copeland Bloom, from Canterbury, Kent, explained: "The transformation of caterpillar to chrysalis and then butterfly is one of nature's greatest miracles.

"After witnessing it myself, I wanted children everywhere to share this incredible experience.

"Too many adults do not appreciate insects and are unnecessarily scared of them and their children can be affected by this. Young children usually love little creatures - until they are put off them."

Dr Martin Warren, Chief Executive of Butterfly Conservation added: "Sadly butterflies and moths are declining rapidly in the UK and around the world. They need our help like never before.

"I hope that Sonia's appealing story can stimulate a love of butterflies that will inspire young people to care about their future. The world needs butterflies and butterflies need us to take care of that world."

Buy your copy of Crystal the Small Miracle from Butterfly Conservation's shop.

Sonia Bloom is also the author of the children's book series Tales and Truths about Garden Minibeasts which aims to spark a new interest in insects and garden creatures. More information is available on www.soniacopelandbloom.com

From Your Canterbury:

Orlando Bloom’s mum visits star’s former school

It’s not every day the mum of an A-list Hollywood actor pops into school to talk to a class of starstruck pupils

It’s even less likely that she should come armed with a collection of stick insects, caterpillars and other creepy-crawlies other parents might shy away from.

But that’s exactly what happened when Sonia Copeland Bloom – mother of Three Musketeers heartthrob Orlando Bloom – returned to her son’s old school of St Edmund’s, Canterbury, to give a talk about the importance of protecting nature’s smallest creatures.

“There are huge numbers of children who go out into the world knowing nothing about nature because they’re too tied up in their mobile phones and computer games,” she said.

“We’re in danger of forgetting the importance of being outside and knowing about insects, but they received a lovely reaction from the pupils at St Edmund’s. They were fascinated by them, if not a little worried about some of the bigger ones, so it was a very rewarding experience.”

Ms Copeland Bloom has written a series of children’s books about insects entitled ‘Tales and Truths About Garden Minibeasts’, which features such characters as Basil the Beetle and Eddie the Earthworm.

The former University of Kent information officer revealed she had also written a book especially for her nine-month-old grandson Flynn, whose mother is Orlando Bloom’s Australian model wife Miranda Kerr.

Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean star Bloom, 34, last returned to Canterbury in July last year when he was gifted an honorary degree from the University of Kent.

“Orlando’s been very busy in Los Angeles and most recently in New Zealand, where he’s been filming The Hobbit,” said Ms Copeland Bloom.

“He certainly has a lot of affection for Canterbury and when he’s returned in the past he’s visited all the places he knew so well growing up. He does keep in touch with a lot of the friends he had at St Edmund’s, as they are the most important to him in a way because they knew him before he was famous and he treasures them.

“It’s very difficult not seeing him very often, especially now he’s given me a beautiful, gorgeous grandson. But I’ve written a book for Flynn and have told Orlando I’m happy to go and see them all at the drop of a hat.

“I don’t want Flynn to grow up without a lot of influence from his granny.”

Visit www.soniacopelandbloom.com for more information.

Another gem from Sonia (via Lori, of course!) - a review of her Garden Minibeasts books.

A4_PSmithers_Leaf.jpg