Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

The Hobbit: TV and Magazine Alerts

I thought I'd start a catch-all thread for the various publications that have major Hobbit stories, rather than a gazillion separate threads - at least until they start showing some Elf.

Empire magazine (UK) will be the first to have The Hobbit featured on the cover. The August issue - which comes out June 30th, go figure - will feature a 'younger' Gandalf on front. A small version is posted on their website. Empire was actually on the NZ set so expect some new pictures and perhaps a little tidbit or two.

Was Ian McKellen born to play the part of Gandalf or am I just twitterpated? Good grief! I love that picture on the cover. That is exactly how I've always imagined Gandalf to look. If I could find that picture in a nice stand alone photo I would have it framed for my 'Lord of the Rings' collection.

And is it just me or does Mr. Freeman as Bilbo look a twee bit like a combination of Dom (Merry) and Billy (Pippen)? When I saw the stills in the 'Entertainment Weekly' article I thought Martin really looked like Billy as Pippen especially in the picture with Peter Jackson at the table in Bag End.

Thanks, Jill. Nice idea. Now we know exactly where to go to salivate.

Was Ian McKellen born to play the part of Gandalf or am I just twitterpated?

Definitely born to play Gandalf. Definitely. I remember my reaction when I first saw Gandalf on screen - "That's Gandalf. That's really Gandalf!" He was exactly as I had always pictured him. Oh, I am so looking forward to this!

Thanks for starting this, HS!

Empire Magazine, December 2012

The December issue of Empire hits shelves tomorrow, and there are five 3D lenticular covers to collect. Check them out here.

Subscribers will get their own exclusive cover, along with one of the lenticular covers.

Exclusive: Hobbit Running Time Revealed

Empire's Ultimate Hobbit : The Unexpected Journey issue – complete with five 3D lenticular covers to collect – arrives on shelves tomorrow, Thursday October 25, and with it a whole host of Hobbit exclusives. Not least of which is the run time for Peter Jackson's upcoming film. Those who have been fearing that the change from two films to three would result in less Bombur for your buck, fear no more: it's still an epic length.

“It’s looking like it’s going to be about ten minutes shorter than Fellowship was," explains Jackson. "So it’s going to be officially our shortest Middle-earth yet. I mean, Fellowship was just under three hours and this is about 2 hours 40 minutes at the moment.”

The "at the moment" refers to the fact that the credits hadn't yet been added and not all effects shots finalised when we spoke to Jackson, but it's going to be close.

Finally, if you're curious about what to expect from all 160-odd minutes of Hobbity goodness, take a look at the extended scroll poster, the Lego sets and the full trailer below. Then again, you could just read Tolkien's book and make an educated guess.

The new issue of Empire will hit news stands tomorrow, October 25, as well as the iTunes store in the UK and US. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey hits cinemas on December 14, with two further films following on December 13, 2013 (The Desolation Of Smaug) and July 18, 2014 (There And Back Again).

I was in B&N Monday and picked up the September issue they still had on the shelf, but I guess I'll have to make another trip.

Thanks!

Aliza

I can't wait :cheer2: to see the first movie and hope for at least a peek at our Legolas :leg: .

I don't know what magazines I'm going to buy. There will probably be several to choose from. Which ones will have an exclusive interview with Leggy? :teehee:

- Pam -

This was great fun. Thanks for the find.

Actually, Barbara, I've had that for about a MONTH now. :blink: I've just been too sick :achoo: to come in here and post it. I FINALLY feel better now.

I'm glad you liked it. I hope everyone enjoys this link. I really did think it was interesting. :shiny:

- Pam -

Pam, sorry to hear you've been so sick. I hope you are fully on the road to recovery. I really enjoyed all the Hobbit info.

Sign in to follow this