Kim

SFD Reviews by Ka-Bloomies (May contain Spoilers)

Yes, I finally got to see Sympathy for Delicious yesterday! I was able to order it yesterday through Comcast and watched it yesterday afternoon and it was well worth the wait.

SFD was a wonderful movie and I thought Orlando did an outstanding job playing a tough-as-nails Rock Star with an attitude. You can literally feel him coming through the screen, that is how powerful his performance was. I loved watching him on the stage and I did hear him singing and he was really good. :w00t:

The story of course centers around Dean O'Dwyer (Delicious D) who is paralyzed and struggling on skid row and I thought Chris Thornton did a fantastic job, he really drew me into what was happening to him. And he was getting exploited on all ends, not just by The Stain and his Rock Band but also by Father Joe played by Mark Ruffalo who also did a wonderful job playing this part. Mark also did a great job with his directorial debut, he really made you feel like you were a part of the story, drawing you into the different locations, from skid row, to the Stain's hideout to the concert stage and at the end. Speaking of the ending, I thought that was very good and I loved the song they chose for the end, talk about happy and very surprised when I started hearing "I Started A Joke" sung by the Bee Gees! And when I thought about it, the song made sense and they couldn't have picked a better song. So talk about a dream come true for me, having both Orlando and the Bee Gees featured in the same movie! :cheer2: Also you will recognize one of the homeless people that Dean heals, he is played by Robert Wisdom who played Zoe Saldana's Father in Haven. :thumbsup:

Well, hopefully you will also get the chance to see this movie because I highly recommend it. :2thumbs:

GREAT JOB MARK, CHRIS AND ORLANDO! :hug:

Kim

I watched this two days ago, and I still can't figure out how to write a proper review. Was Orlando great as The Stain? Without a doubt. I don't think I would want him in my house. Vulgar, crude, egotistical and totally sexy, and no, I still wouldn't want that person in my home.

The movie was amazing and the pain and bitterness of Delicious D was difficult to witness. As I saw the characters evolve and come to the "healing they need", it left me feeling hopeful for all of them.

It is by turns painful, funny, shocking, but finally satisfying. I hope everyone gets to see it.

Well, I caved in and saw the movie on Time Warner on Demand yesterday. And I must say it was very good. :cheer2: While grittier and edgier than movies I usually like, it was well-done. Mark Ruffalo did a great job with his directorial debut and I agree with Kim that he made you feel like you were part of the story. He also surrounded himself with a good group of actors and they all turned in fine perfomances.

Orlando was just great as the Stain. Yes, he was a despicable character and probably the cruelest character Orlando has played so far. Still he was also sexy as all get :hott: and I agree with Serendipity that I wouldn't invite him to my home, but I might take the invitation to his hotel room. :naughty: It's great to see Orlando taking risks and growing as an actor.

Still this was Christopher Thorton's movie. He gave an excellant performance and really brought in nuances to his character. Even when Dean was acting like a jerk, you still felt for him and wanted things to work out for him in the end. I know Hollywood isn't always fair to disabled actors, but hopefully Thorton will continue to get some good roles in the future.

The only complaints I would have is there were a couple plot holes or at least unanswered questions near the end that should have been addressed. But it is still a movie I would reccommend.

Whew, it’s been a long haul since I’ve seen Orlando in a screen role. (The New York I Love You role was cute, but fleeting.) Yesterday SFD finally made it to a screen near me. (my pc)

The Stain was flashy and colorful and a nasty piece of work. I found Orlando to be believable and convincingly not-nice – except to look at in full rock regalia and posturing. The costumes were great (except for the suit -which looked silly), the attitudes were sneeringly arrogant, the singing was not bad, the Northern accent fit the concept well. So… I have to say I thought he did pretty well as an obnoxious rocker. He’s always had that sneer down pat.

I liked the film, as well; thought the story was intriguing with lots of food for thought. In addition to Orlando, the cast was stocked with some of the best acting talent around. Chris Thornton is an accomplished actor – I’ve only seen him before in an episode of Brothers and Sisters on TV – who carried the lead role well. Juliette Lewis was her usual terrific self, portraying the tender-hearted, doomed junkie, Ariel. Laura Linney wasn’t in it enough, but when she was she was great. I think it’s a good first directing effort for Mark Ruffalo, and am glad they got it to the screen. The world has too many movies made for teenaged boys these days, too many 3D cartoons, too many overblown action-for-it's-own-sake flicks. Nice to see a story with a thoughtful plot that’s got some meat to it and is different. SFD reminded me a bit of Haven, which was also a rough story told well on a budget. Because they have to be concise, those films are sometimes better told than long, elaborate, overdone ones.

At first I thought, “Oh no, another dark film!” Dark as in so many night and club scenes that you simply can’t see anything that’s going on. So I cranked up the brightness on the monitor and that helped. I had to expect the language to be crass considering the club/street settings of the story, and it was. I liked that the subtleties were allowed to unfold without being shoved in your face or painstakingly explained. By the end, the point had been clearly made that “you get the healing you need” and it may not be the result or arrive the way you’d expect. The ending seemed a little rushed, but even with some chopping, the tale was fully told. Definitely a thumbs-up for me. I’m looking forward to watching this one again – to pick up any details I missed (and to take another look at my handsome lad as this swaggering cock-of-the-walk, jerk of a character).

Bring on the cop, the doc and the duke! I love this guy onscreen. (Why are you not surprised?)

Nin

Just watched SFD all the way through. I'm really impressed with the film; it's very well done. :clap: I like how the story is told more in a snapshot sort of way. Very, very effective. Mark Ruffalo should be proud of his first directorial effort. And Chris Thornton is amazing. I especially love how the film does not shy away from stating some very harsh truths and asking some very difficult questions. And the ending is very right. Just what it should be.

Orlando as the The Stain? He's too pretty to totally pull off the tough punker, but I certainly cannot imagine James Franco doing it (he was originally cast, was he not?) - he's too pretty, too. But I thought he was great, nonetheless, even though I, too, would not personally want to have anything to do with The Stain. What a great acting challenge for him, to be this different from any of his other roles. And his singing was just fine!!

I didn't mind the language because it was totally real. This is exactly how these people would talk. After a while, there's so much of the :censor: word that it almost becomes comical. :teehee: And since I rarely hear a northern England accent (unless I am watching an LOTR film or anything with Sean Bean in it), I found Orlando's pronunciation kind of charming, exotic almost.

Haven't watched SFD with the commentary yet, too much RL, but plan to do so next weekend.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth! :judges:

I just received my copy of SFD! I ordered it from Target on line. They don't seem to have it at the store, or any local stores for that matter. Target seemed to have the best price, their shipping cost was really low and it arrived before the estimated delivery date.

Check it out!

Aliza

OK, I'm back with my review. Yes, I've finally seen Sympathy for Delicious. I mean it when I say FINALLY! It seems like, since Pirates 3 anyway, it takes forever to see Orlando's new movies (at least for me). I am determined though. :oh: I WILL see all of them and I WILL purchase a copy of the DVDs when available and funds allow. What can I say? I'm a devoted fan of The Pretty. :sigh:

*** SPOILERS AHEAD, FAIR WARNING ***

Now, my thoughts. It was a sad, depressing story. There wasn't enough of Orlando as The Stain. Not nearly enough. In addition, I thought I had a potty mouth, but after watching this movie I'm beginning to question that. Talk about strong language. :O It fit the storyline, though.

The Stain's opinion of D changed as the story unfolded. First he seemed indifferent to him, then he didn't trust him, then he was all for him. Heck, it was his idea for D to join the band! Then he lied about him on the stand, after swearing to tell the truth, I'm assuming.

The Stain was crude and rude and sexy as :censor:, but of course that's our darling. He's sexy without even trying. :hott: I would have liked to hear him sing more. Mostly it was "talk singing" when the band was performing. I have a feeling Orlando has a beautiful singing voice. Maybe he will do a musical. . . someday?

As I said earlier, the story was sad and depressing. I don't know if I would have seen it if Orlando had not been in it. But for a depressing, dark tale, they told it well. Mark Ruffalo did an exceptional job as both the priest and the director. I thought Juliette Lewis and Laura Linney were pretty great also. I didn't consider there would be a death of a major character, so that surprised me.

The ending confused me a bit. OK, D's out of prison. Now what's he going to do? He has no car, no job, no income. He got an unexpected (unexplainable) break, of sorts, but still. He has a very uncertain future ahead of him. I am glad that he helped that guy after swearing that he wouldn't though. Maybe that's what turned the tide in his favour?

That's all I have to say, I guess.

- Pam -

Thanks for sharing your review of SFD. I had many of the same feelings about the movie as you.

Delicious D is a very unlikeable character when you first meet him, and is possibly even more self centered than The Stain. I think at the end it was not his body that was healed, but his soul. I found it kind of hard sympathize with him even then. I also wondered where he was going at the end of the movie. Left in the middle of nowhere with no money and nowhere to go.

Were you able to listen to the cast commentary? It had a lot more to say about the characters and how the movie was filmed.