Re-opening this thread as according to this article, there's a possibility that Orlando will reprise his role as Will Turner in POTC5.

Daily Mail

Orlando Bloom says he's 'in discussions' about returning to Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 - mainly because of Johnny Depp

Orlando Bloom has revealed he may join Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush in the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie - Dead Men Tell No Tales.
The British actor played Blacksmith-turned pirate Will Turner in the first three installments of the swashbuckling franchise but wasn’t a part of the fourth movie, 2011’s On Stranger Tides.
But now the Hollywood heartthrob has hinted he may well take up the cutlass once more in Dead Men Tell No Tales, which is heavily tipped to be filmed in Australia.
The 37-year-old revealed he had been considering reprising his role alongside Depp and Rush.
'There have certainly been some discussions about it and I’m open to it,' he said during a discussion panel at Oz Comic Con over the weekend.
'That whole experience working with Johnny (Depp) and (director) Gore (Verbinski) was really amazing for me.'
Bloom, who was appearing at Oz Comic-Con in Brisbane, said he was tempted by the opportunity to again work with his great mate and fellow actor Depp who nominated for an Oscar in the iconic role of Captain Jack Sparrow.
'I had a great time working with Johnny, one of the reasons I jumped at the opportunity (to be in the first Pirates) was because Johnny was involved.
'I was such a massive fan of Johnny Depp growing up so to get up close and personal to Johnny and see how he worked as an actor was just a massive gift.'
But Bloom, who has just finished treading the boards in Romeo and Juliette on Broadway, said his acting commitments, particularly future theatre roles, would revolve around the location of his son with Miranda Kerr, three-year-old Flynn.
'My son is going to be going to school in California so I guess I could do some theatre in downtown LA but it doesn’t have the same ‘je ne sais quoi’ as London or New York,' he said.
Dead Men Tell No Tales is a step closer to being filmed in Australia after the federal government approved a $US20 million tax break for the Hollywood production.
Mexico and South Africa is also being considered but the Daily Mail exclusively revealed last month that a pair of studio representatives had toured the Gold Coast’s Village Roadshow studios and Sydney's Fox Studios.
Lord Of The Rings star Bloom is the main drawcard at Oz Comic-Con which moves to Sydney’s Exhibition Centre next weekend.
<snip>

For me POTC 5 and 6 would be a stretch. I enjoyed the first 3 Pirates' films, but not the 4th. In the 4th film Jack Sparrow was little more than a caricature (again, my opinion). However, should Orlando reprise his Will Turner role, I would no doubt head to my local cinema to catch the film -- what can I tell you? It's the power of Orlando.

Thanks, Rene, for the article.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I don't know that I would want him to portray Will again, but it is his decision. And of course I would go see it if he did.

I am so hoping this doesn't happen. Without Gore directing and Ted & Terry's writing, it may be a ship trainwreck on the big screen. It will, IMHO, destroy Orlando's credibility, which is shaky as it is with all the naysayers. May be another case of, "why do bad movies happen to good actors?"

But yeah, of course I'll go see it if Orlando's in it. Gotta support our man!

Thank you, Rene. :)

I will definitely go see POTC5 if Orlando is back as Will Turner! :)

Thank you Rene for posting the update. :hug:

Kim

IGN

ORLANDO BLOOM SAYS PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5 MAY BE A SOFT REBOOT

Orlando Bloom has revealed Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales may act as a soft reboot for the franchise.

Speaking to IGN to promote The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Bloom explained he's still in talks to return. Though he hasn't signed on the dotted line just yet, the potential plot is intriguing him.

"I’m not entirely sure that [i'll be back] just yet, but there are talks," he said. "Basically they want to reboot the whole franchise, I think, and do something with me and the relationship with my son.

"I’m of course Davey Jones now, so I’m down the bottom of the ocean. It might be kind of fun to do something where I’m rumbling round the bottom of the ocean, because I won’t look anything like me. [Gestures to face] Get all gnarly."

We currently know that Johnny Depp will be reprising his role as Captain Jack Sparrow, though the rest of the cast is a little less clear. Geoffrey Rush is rumoured to be back as Barbossa, while the Javier Bardem is the front-runner to play new villain Captain Brand, a ghost bent on revenge against Sparrow, who he blames for the murder of his brother.

Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (Kon-Tiki) will direct Pirates 5, which is set to shoot in Australia in early 2015 for a July 2017 release.

A franchise reboot intrigues and interests me. Orlando as Davey Jones would get me on board again. If #5 ends up being similar to #4, I'll pass, thank you.

According to this article from Variety, Orlando will reprise his role as Will Turner!

‘Pirates of the Caribbean 5′ Begins Production in Australia

“G’Days” and “Ahoys” were probably exchanged aplenty today on the set of Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” which has commenced production in Queensland, Australia.

The fifth film in the franchise brings Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem down under for plenty of swashbuckling. Shooting will take place both on location in Queensland and in the Village Roadshow Studios on the Gold Coast.

Depp returns to the role of Captain Jack Sparrow, who in this film will be targeted by the villainous Captain Salazar (Bardem) as Sparrow searches for Poseidon’s trident in hopes of fending off “deadly ghost pirates,” per a press release from the studio.

Orlando Bloom returns to the series to shiver more timbers after skipping the fourth installment, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.” Bloom will reprise his role as Will Turner, and Turner’s relationship with his son (played by newcomer Brenton Thwaites) is rumored to loom large in the plot of “Dead Men Tell No Tales.”

Jerry Bruckheimer is again producing, with Espen Sandberg and Joachim Rønning (the team behind “Kon-Tiki”) directing a script by Jeff Nathanson (“Catch Me If You Can”).

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” is slated to bow in theaters July 7, 2017.

Here's the plot summary:

Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil's Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea...including him. Captain Jack's only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.

I was not looking forward to another Pirates and figured I'd just skip it. I found #4 very disappointing. However, my thinking on the 5th installment has changed with Orlando back on board as Will Turner. Great news!! Thanks for bringing this our way,Rene.

OMG! :w00t: So its official! :yahoo: Orlando is back as Will Turner! I also like the part about Turner's son, I can't wait to see what they do with that. :)

I was literally done with POTC just like Barbara but now that Will is back, I am back as well.

Thank you so much Rene for the heads up! :hug:

Kim

I had read yesterday that Orlando was not going to be in this one, but if they have already cast Will's son, then I guess he'll be in it. I love Javier Bardem, but have grown tired of Captain Jack and Johnny Depp in general. Not looking forward to seeing this film, but will likely see it anyway, only for Orlando's sake.

I realized something yesterday after I read about Orlando coming back as Will Turner. When POTC5 comes out in theaters in 2017, Orlando will be 40! :w00t: And I think of how young he was when he first played Will Turner, he was only 25 or 26 years old. We have watched Orlando grow right before our eyes. :wub:

Then I thought of the storyline for Will and how he had to be at sea for ten years, well 2017 will make it exactly ten years because the last time Orlando played Will was in 2007. So the new one does go along with Will's storyline and it would make sense for Will to be coming back and getting to see him interacting with his son.

Kim

Thanks, Kim, for bringing Will Turner's (and Orlando's) timeline to our attention.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this. Now that it is confirmed that Orlando is back, I am happy to see Will again as I do love the character. :sigh: But I do agree with those that said Pirates 4 was bad. And, his friendship with Johnny aside, I think Orlando deserves better than to be a sidekick to the Captain Jack show as I have a feeling this movie will once again be All About Captain Jack. :rolleyes:

As for Will being the next Davy Jones, that could be interesting and give Orlando some good scenes to play. But the writers need to give Will a reason for looking so gnarly. In AWE, both Tia Dahlma and Will implied that it wasn't because Davy Jones was Captain of the Flying Dutchman that he became gnarly but because Davy Jones became evil and corrupted the purpose of his job that he became "tentacly". And as we saw in the ten years later coda, Will looked his normal gorgeous self, :hott: so being underwater for ten years didn't change him. But something could happen between AWE and Pirates 5 (especially when you consider who is Not going to be in this movie) that could change and harden Will.

Kim- Good analysis with the timeline. I looked up Brenton Thwaites on IMDB and he is 25 and will turn 26 in August, probably still shooting or wrapping up the movie so he will be the same age as Orlando when he started POTC. And this is the first movie in which Orlando played a father and while Henry will be considerably ollder and it's a different relationship, I bet Orlando will use his own experiences and feelings as a father when playing Will.

Thanks Marilyn for letting us know what Will's son's name will be and I like the name, Henry. :)

It will be interesting to see Will as a villain and you are probably right, something must happen with Elizabeth to turn him to the evil side.

Kim

If it's a good script, I'm sure we'll enjoy it. I love the 'little' films he does, but it will be nice to see one in the theatre, finally. And I still have a thing for that Will Turner. :heart:

And Javiar Bardem makes such a great bad guy - the character in the last Bond film still gives me the heebie jeebies!

The first POTC movie was the reason I became a fan of Orlando and Will is still my favorite character, so I am so happy with this news! Plus, I was so devastated about how they ended Will's storyline in At World's End!

Any news on Keira? I hope she's in this too!

Gold Coast Bulletin

Orlando Bloom is set to step into the spotlight on the Gold Coast set of Pirates of the Caribbean

IT’S bye Johnny and hello Orlando Bloom as a new Hollywood heavyweight steps into the spotlight on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales on the Gold Coast.

Pirates 5 directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg are preparing to film a huge set piece at the massive outdoor water tank at Village Roadshow Studios later this week.

The scene, expected to be filmed at night, will see The Flying Dutchman – a ghost ship that made its first appearance in Dead Man’s Chest under the command of the fictional captain Davy Jones – rear up and rise from the sea.

A legendary vessel that can never make port, The Flying Dutchman is doomed to sail the oceans forever. It was last captained by Bloom’s character, Will Turner, at the end of the last Pirates film, At World’s End.

Images posted on Facebook last week show orders for wetsuits from Mermaid Beach business Rubber Jungle Wetsuits for both Bloom and castmate Geoffrey Rush.

The order for Bloom is tagged: “Just another name. All the Hollywood A list here. Keeping the talent warm.”

Fishermen and divers at the Gold Coast Seaway yesterday afternoon could have been forgiven for thinking they’d just seen The Black Pearl return from a day’s filming on the high seas.

However the ghostly looking single-mast ship, which returned to port about 1.30pm was no match for Captain Jack Sparrow’s infamous 32-cannon, 165ft East Indiaman galleon.

Instead, it was the former Bundaberg-berthed replica of a 1897 Scottish trawler once known as The Rainbow Gypsy, now sailing the seas in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales as The Dying Gull.

Nicknamed “The Bondi Cigar” by Pirates 5 crew, The Dying Gull is the sinking ship from which Johnny Depp’s character Captain Jack Sparrow emerged at the start of the first movie in the series, The Curse of the Black Pearl.

The Rainbow Gypsy’s transformation into the ghostly hulk is testament to the skills of local construction crews, whose craftsmanship has been roundly praised by all involved on the massive Pirates 5 shoot.

Workers have built intricately detailed pirate ships on giant gimbal at two large outdoor studios at Helensvale, painstakingly replicating vessels featured in the four previous Pirates films and creating new, never-before-seen ships to join the fray in Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Other scenes have been filmed on ships’ decks recreated indoors at Village Roadshow Studios.

Up to 12 different ships will be used in the latest instalment of the franchise.

The Dying Gull is expected to feature in scenes to be filmed at a new outdoor set at Doug Jennings Park.

Orlando's presence in this film will bring me back. I'm sick of Johnny Depp's antics as Sparrow. I could barely tolerate the 4th film in the franchise. Glad to read that Geoffrey Rush and Javier Bardem will return. I can tolerate Sparrow knowing the others will be present. Thanks, Rene, for bringing us the word.

At last, we know for sure he's in the film! :lol: Barbara, I didn't even bother with #4, I heard enough about it to decide I wasn't interested (never mind the fact that there was no Will Turner involved!).

Just hope Johnny doesn't end up in prison for 'smuggling' his little yorkies into Oz. :rolleyes:

I just caught up with Johnny's doggie adventures. Time will tell on that one.

That is exciting news that Orlando is definitely coming back for POTC5! :yahoo:

Barbara and Jan, I agree with every thing you said about POTC4 and about Sparrow's antics. I did see POTC4 but I only saw it through Netflix and haven't seen it since because there was no Will Turner.

I also know all about Johnny's Yorkies, so we shall see what will happen on that front.

Thank you very much Rene for this exciting news! :hug:

Kim

Yeah! So happy to hear that Orlando is shooting his scenes. :cheer: Time will tell if POTC5 will be that good, but at least it'll be one up on POTC4 now that it has Capt. Turner.

I highly doubt Johnny will go to jail over his dogs, but he likely will pay a heavy fine. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the last movie Johnny makes in Australia.

Disney confirmed Orlando's return for POTC5 at D23 Expo today:

/Film

Orlando Bloom Officially Confirmed for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ [D23 Expo 2015]

2017’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales will be Captain Jack’s first new adventure in six years. But Will Turner has him beat: As officially announced today, Orlando Bloom will reprise his role for the first time since 2007’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.

The Pirates 5 Orlando Bloom news doesn’t come as a huge surprise, as it’s been rumored and reported for months. However, he wasn’t publicly confirmed until D23 today.

Also returning to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales from previous installments are Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa, Kevin R. McNally as Joshamee Gibbs, and Stephen Graham as Scrum. New to the franchise are Javier Bardem as Captain Salazar, Brenton Thwaites, Kaya Scodelario, David Wenham, and Golshifteh Farahani.

Shooting on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales began in February and wrapped in July under directors Espen Sandberg and Joachim Rønning (Kon-Tiki). The production process hit a few snags due to injuries and Australia’s biosecurity laws, but as of now is set to sail into theaters July 7, 2017.