More Pirate movies have been mentioned in the POTC4 thread but I think it's time for its own thread. The actual script for POTC5 was delivered to Disney over the weekend. A release date has not been set. :yankchain: From THR:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides doesn't his U.S. theaters until May 20. But screenwriter Terry Rossio has just turned in his script for a planned fifth installment in Disney's most lucrative film franchise.Rossio tells THR that the still-untitled script -- his first penned without Ted Elliot, who collaborated on the first four Pirates scripts -- was delivered to Disney this past weekend. It's the initial step in putting together the key creative pieces for another Pirates film. Disney would like another installment, given the $3 billion in worldwide grosses for the first three films and the likely huge returns for the fourth movie, the first to be released in 3D.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer has said he's in to make a fifth Pirates. And sources say Disney has made overtures to Rob Marshall, who took over directing duties on Pirates 4 from Gore Verbinski, who helmed the first three pictures, to return for another go-round (though no deal is in place for Marshall).

But they key question mark is star Johnny Depp. Will he sign on for a fifth installment in the franchise?

In an interview published in the current issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine, Depp says he hasn't seen the new Rossio screenplay but he isn't opposed to reprising his iconic Jack Sparrow character yet again.

"It boils down to story, script and filmmaker," Depp tells THR. But the actor isn't clamoring to jump back into the puffy shirt until a little time has passed after Pirates 4. He didn't relish the brutal schedule that saw him making Pirates 2 and Pirates 3 back-to-back in order to meet studio-mandated release dates in summer 2006 and 2007, respectively.

"It's not something where I would say, 'Let's shoot it next month to get it out by Christmas 2012,'" he says. "We should hold off for a bit. They should be special, just like they are special to me."<snip>

It's a good thing Johnny Depp isn't in a hurry to film POTC5. That'll give Terry and Ted plenty of time to tweek the script. Afterall, every good movie needs a great story at the center.

Thanks for posting, Jill. I would definitely like to see some space between 4 and 5. But if they make it and Johnny reprises Cap'n Jack, I will come.

If I may say, Orlando once joked about doing Pirates until they were all wrinkled and walking with canes and such. I have a feeling that this is going to be a reality when you consider the fact that Johnny will be 50 in two years! :teehee:

Despite a strong first instalment in the ongoing Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, the last movie, and the two movies before it, failed to live up to the expectations of fans. We know the regular co-writer for the movies Terry Russio turned in a draft of the script for the fifth movie quite a while ago, and it was recently rumoured that Johnny Depp would be payed $90m to shoot two additional Pirates movies back-to-back, as he is taking on less big budget roles. Well, Caribbean Business PR revealed that Disney have chosen Puerto Rico as the main filming location for Pirates of the Caribbean 5, and it could begin filming as soon as November.However, Moviefone reached out to Disney's reps to ask them whether the movie would be filming on the island, and they said that the report was inaccurate and the flick was still in development. But they offered this cryptic hint towards the film's plot…

"Will Turner's story might not be finished…"

:timeout: Whoa, that response from Disney is making my timbers shiver. How can they just throw that phrase out there??! Please finish polishing the script soon.

Source and ComingSoon

Well, that got the old heart rate up!! and I agree how can they be so cavalier about that? Oh I love me some Mr. Turner. :ghostship:

I was not at all impressed with Pirates #4. However, if Will's story is continued -- well, that's a different matter entirely.

SQUEE!! I am happy for Jack in any form but throw in Cap'n Turner and all that much more better. I'm with you gmolster! :cheer2:

PotC 4 was nice - but nothing more - and something(/one) was definitely missing! A no. 5 with Captain Turner returned and (maybe) rescued from the Flying Dutchman to lead a happy life and/or another adventure with Elizabeth and his son :sigh: - I'd be the first to queue for that movie!

Crossing my fingers!

:wave:

Raven

I was not at all impressed with Pirates #4. However, if Will's story is continued -- well, that's a different matter entirely.

I am with you Barbara, #4 didn't do anything for me and I missed Will a lot, it just didn't have that same magic and I missed the camaraderie between Orlando & Johnny, so if Orlando does come back and reprises his role of Will Turner I will definitely be there front row and center! :w00t:

I read about the rumor that Orlando might be returning yesterday on Google but I wasn't going to get my hopes up until I heard more, so after reading that quote from Disney my hopes have definitely gone up a notch or two.

Oh please, please, please let this be true about Orlando coming back for POTC5! :cheer2:

Kim

The fourth POTC was good, but I definitely missed Orlando in that film. They had a new young couple, the boy and the mermaid, to TRY to take the place of Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann (Turner), but I think they missed the mark. Sorry.

I already knew there would be two more POTC films, Johnny said as much in some interview awhile back. He also said that he wanted to space them out a bit to gather interest and so he'd have time to work on some other projects.

However, I had NO idea that we hadn't seen the end of Captain William Turner!!! :yahoo: I am SO excited at that wonderful news! :cheer2: Now I'm beyond anxious for the next film to be in the theatres. :lookie:

Thanks for the wonderful update, Jill. :highfive:

- Pam -

I might be the only one here who's first recation to this news was "NOOO!". My second reaction was "Why?". Why do the studios insist on these everlasting franchises? Have they run out of ideas?

I remember at the end of Pirates 3 Orlando was saying that that was the end of his participation in Pirates. I wonder whether he's changed his mind. I do wish to see Orlando in many films in the future, don't get me wrong, not just reprising the same role ad infinitum.

I am reminded of the saying about "going to the well too often." TPTB need to be really careful. Audience burn out is a possibility. I would support the return of Will Turner to a POTC 5. I think there's more to his story, and would love to see what has transpired for the Dutchman's captain.

I am in two minds about this. I can see why they would want him back if Orlando could be persuaded to do it. I can also see that you can have too much of a good thing and successful films usually stop at 3 or 4 in the series. I think only Star Wars did more?

On the other hand, the only films of Orlando's since POTC3 that I have been able to see were Three Musketeers and New York I love you. If Disney make another Pirate film at least I will be able to see him in it.

We will just have to wait and see as usual. :hmmm:

T.

I wasn't interested in seeing Pirates 4 without Will in the cast. I expect I'll feel the same if 5 and 6 ever eventuate. However, if the Captain of 'The Dutchman' is resurrected, as it were, I'll be there with bells on. I have no doubt Orlando would choose to reprise the role only if script, etc., were good.

POTC 4 for was good, but I missed Orlando in it. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that Captain Turner will return in the next Pirates movie.

Thank you so much Jill for the wonderful news. :hug: I hope this rumor is true.

I can't comment on POTC4 since I haven't actually seen it but I think another adventure could be possible if the story makes sense. With a great script, it would be very tempting to revisit the story of young Will Turner. I know there's been a lot of discussion trying to make sense of his fate at the end of POTC3 - this could provide clarification. With Captain Jack constantly cheating death, their paths are bound to cross eventually.

Yo- ho, get the old crew together again.

News out today - because of (officially) 'script issues' (and unofficially the dismal box office numbers of Disney's The Lone Ranger), POTC5 will be delayed past the summer of 2015. The article also mentioned co-star names for the first time:

ojStill too early to know of any cameos but at least the project is still moving forward.slowly.

At this point the only interest I'd have in POTC 5 and 6 would be if Orlando was cast in the film. I wasn't all that excited about #4 -- enjoyed the first three much more -- especially the first two.

My thoughts exactly, Barbara. I understand that Captain Jack is an iconic character, but he really needs his foil in Will Turner to be at his best. Wthout him, the fourth film fell flat for me. I can't see any further installments being much better.

To me, it was more of a matter of no Ted and Terry's writing nor Gore's directing as it was no Will. Without all those players, I ain't interested.

Agreed, Jan. The trio behind the scenes was just as important as the trio of Orlando, Keira, and Johnny was onscreen.

I can't help wondering what we/they would do if they wrote a script with Will in it and Orlando refused to do it!

T.

I have no idea if or when PotC 5 & 6 (?) will happen at all or not.

All this back and forth makes me dizzy and the longer it takes, the more lack of interest I have, sorry to say.

I am a huge fan of PotC for many years now and the first 3 movies (parts) were a closed chapter in itself.

But when PotC 4 came out, I wasn´t really up to watch it really.

I did it anyway and honestly - it was a waste of money in my eyes. :oh:

Really missed the old crew and most of all I miss(ed) Will Turner. :(

And I was not the only one, who did.

In fact many of the Johnny Depp fan community had to admit, that something was missing there

and lots of them wanted to have the whelp back on board.

I am with Welshwoman here.

- it´s just that gut feeling that I have -

Well, I would be more than happy, if I was wrong and Orlando would say yes to it, if he was asked to return after all.

As Will would have said: " No cause is lost, but if there is but one fool left to fight for it."

*Chinny*

I would love it if Orlando came back for pirates 5 and pirates 6 to reprise the role of Will Turner. I really enjoyed watching Pirates 1, 2,and 3. I did not care for pirates 4 because Orlando and Kiera and the rest of the crew were not in it. I am hoping that they will ask Orlando to return in Pirates. I hope the rumours are true regarding Orlando returning for the next Pirate movies. Does anyone else think he will be back?

Very doubtful, as he has moved on. Also, as of March 18th, POTC 5 has yet to be given the green light by Disney CEO Bob Iger.

Closing. :)