Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Review: Backstage

Backstage has published a review of SFD. Here's what the reviewer had to say after the plot synopsis:

<snip>

Enter an entirely different storyline revolving around a grungy rock band that, again, capitalizes on Dean's ability to heal but turns it into a carnival side act. This time, Dean profits, but his soul founders. Ruffalo was able to attract his "You Can Count on Me" co-star Laura Linney as the band's scheming manager, Orlando Bloom as the egotistical lead singer called The Stain, and Juliette Lewis as, predictably, a drugged-up band member. Just typing that sentence makes me relive the pretension of this storyline and its dialogue. So much of it is preposterous that it feels like a different movie from the first act. Also appearing is Noah Emmerich as a paraplegic who refuses to give up hope that he can walk again.

What makes this film so compelling is Thornton, who is mesmerizing. Though Thornton has written a fantastic and complicated part for himself, he failed to do the same for most of his supporting players, who don't have nearly enough to work withthe exceptions being Emmerich and Ruffalo. Thornton had years to work on this script while he and Ruffalo, who co-produced the film with Thornton, shopped the project around for a decade. Why it never dawned on them to flesh out the rest of the characters is a mystery.

Without giving away the ending, I love how Thornton and Ruffalo wrapped the film up. I look forward to whatever Thornton does next, as a writer, but especially as an actor. I just hope his next script is stronger.

<snip>

Plenty of words for Christopher Thornton, nothing for the supporting players other than they hadn't been given much to work with. Now where's that review that called Orlando Bloom a Rock God?!