Jan

Tribeca Film Festival

CBS News New York reports that tickets go on sale tomorrow to the general public (I'm sure the Tribeca website has the same info):

The Tribeca Film Festival is back.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork

Special pre-sale ticket offers begin today (general public ticket sales begin next week) for the 10th annual festival, which includes 12 days of film premieres, panel discussions, free events and star-studded red carpets.

The year’s event, scheduled to begin April 20, will debut 93 films from all over the world and feature celebrities like Ryan Philippe, Ozzy Osbourne, Orlando Bloom, Abigail Breslin and Will Ferrell. Additionally, films produced by stars like Kelly Ripa, Sean Penn and Kevin Spacey will be shown.

Aside from the film showings, Tribeca Film Festival also hosts several free events. The Tribeca Drive-In has become a New York City tradition. This year, Fame, The Muppets Take Manhattan and When The Drum Is Beating will all be shown at the World Financial Center Plaza.

Tickets aren’t needed for other public events like the Family Festival Street Fair and Tribeca ESPN Sports Day.

To purchase tickets and for more information, click here or call 866-941-FEST (3378).

Ticket Information

Call Center operating hours are as follows:

March 7 to April 15: Monday to Friday, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm

April 16 to May 1: 7 days a week, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm

May 2 to May 6: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm

Phone: (646) 502-5296

Toll Free: (866) 941-FEST (3378)

Locations:

Tribeca Cinemas Ticket Window

54 Varick Street (at Laight Street)

Hours: 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm (Monday-Friday)

11:00 am – 6:00 pm (Saturday and Sunday)

Chelsea Clearview Cinemas

260 West 23rd Street (between 7th and 8th Avenue)

Tuesday, April 12 – Wednesday, April 20

Hours: 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm (seven days a week)

*Merchandise sold at this location from April 21-May 1

AMC Village VII

(66 3rd Avenue (at 11th Street)

Tuesday, April 12 – Wednesday, April 20

Hours: 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm (seven days a week)

Can't wait to see if any ka-Bloomies are able to go!

A couple of tweets from The Good Doctor:

thegooddrmovie

there might be an extra screening added to the schedule, check the @TribecaFilmFest website for updates!

7 hours ago

Feels good to land early at JFK with the news that we are sold out!

22 hours ago

An extra screening has been added.

Fri Apr 22, 9.30PM BMCC Tribeca PAC

Sun, Apr 24, 3.30PM SVA Theater 1 Silas

Tue, Apr 26, 9.00PM AMC Loews Village 7 - 1

Sat, Apr 30, 3.00PM AMC Loews Village 7 - 1

Sun, May 01, 2.30PM SVA Theater 2 Beatrice

Tribeca Film Festival

An extra screening has been added.

Sun, May 01, 2.30PM SVA Theater 2 Beatrice

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

:cheer2:

I just purchased two tix for May 1st without informing the sleeping Proff Sandy. Hope we didn't already have plans! :blink:

And once more: thank you!

There's mention of TGD in today's Variety, buried in the article, "Big Players Eye More Low-Budget Fare." At the end:

<snip>

All this means more attention is being paid to potentially fertile ground like Tribeca than ever.

In fact, for all the studios' willingness to pick up nonstar project [sic], pics with name talent attached still hold the inside track for distribution. Other films at Tribeca with the potential for a wide release include "The Good Doctor," a psychological thriller starring Orlando Bloom,

<snip>

Where are the reviews? First-person accounts? The word-of-mouth buzz?

Forgive me for this ramble fest; I wanted to write while my impressions were fresh.

I’ll always remember a review from the local Philadelphia paper regarding Orlando’s acting in Kingdom of Heaven. It was the ugly review that compared the movie to a donut and dubbed Orlando as the hole in the center.

Damn, the review pissed me off.

In The Good Doctor, if Orlando’s acting faltered, the donut would not exist. I swear he is in every frame of the strange, intense movie.

The TFF’s description is a little misleading. Dr. Martin Blake doesn’t have hidden insecurities, he’s a proper secret lunatic, one of those quiet, desperate off-date men whom other people suspect and avoid. He’s a man who gives others the twitches. No one eats lunch with Blake, the nurses distrust him, he lives in a stark, cheerless, space, has no friends and spends entirely too much time staring at the ocean raging near his sterile, concrete apartment.

I won’t spoil the reason why Blake stares at the ocean.

Did I mention this is a black comedy? It is the type of film which provokes the audience into uneasy laughter and just as quickly makes them murmur in shock. The Good Doctor is a hushed, introverted film, extremely European in nature, which means when the major shocks hit, they feel like earthquakes in the quiet. And there are three major shocks. I don’t want to spoil anything.

Worst of all the deeper Blake falls into his wicked intentions, the more his star rises. Sick, right?

What? Do I hear people asking about Orlando’s acting? He did a great job. Think back to Elizabethtown’s initial moments. Got it? Remember how he kept saying, “I’m fine?” (which he utters in The Good Doctor more than once). Imagine such sad, controlled, desperate intensity spread over an entire movie.

In The Good Doctor the camera is relentless in training in on close-ups. I’ve always thought Orlando’s main acting strength comes from his emotive eyes. In this movie his eyes deserve an Oscar.

Let’s put it this way; I could have easily seen a young Ralph Fiennes capturing Martin Blake’s pathetic desperation. Yes, if this film was trotted out back in, say, 1995, Ralph would have been in line for the passionate role.

Orlando wisely produced and starred in this movie. Quite a smart move. Even when The Good Doctor scores distribution, the film seems destined to languish on the art house circuit. I hope I’m wrong.

But Orlando’s superior performance should kick the donut-hole people directly in the ass.

Randoms:

Sold out crowd for the fifth screening

The dude next to me exclaimed, “That was really intense!”

The movie needed a little more backstory about why Blake was so odd.

My Whine: On the way into NYC the brakes failed on our train. They made us exit in Newark and wait for the next train. Luckily I had built in time for lunch in NYC so we made it to the film on time. After the film, the potent margaritas flowed at the Trailer Park Café!