Sign in to follow this  
Patty

The beginning of it all:

Upon looking at my Tolkien calendar, I see that today is the 73rd anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit. In the midst of sweating out the waiting for the movie, I wanted to take a moment to remember the book that began it ALL: Middle Earth, Hobbits, and all of the the rest of Tolkien's incredible universe.

J.R.R. Tolkien's artwork for the original dust jacket.

thehobbitcover.jpg

And, one of my favorite passages, along with one artist's interpretation of it. I do so want to see this scene in the movie.

“I have always understood,” said Bilbo in a frightened squeak, “that dragons were softer underneath, especially in the region of the -- er -- chest; but doubtless one so fortified has thought of that.”

The dragon stopped short in his boasting. “Your information is antiquated,” he snapped. “I am armoured above and below with iron scales and hard gems. No blade can pierce me.”

“I might have guessed it,” said Bilbo. “Truly there can nowhere be found the equal of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable. What magnificence to possess a waistcoat of fine diamonds!”

“Yes, it is rare and wonderful, indeed,” said Smaug absurdly pleased. He did not know that the hobbit had already caught a glimpse of his peculiar under-covering on his previous visit, and was itching for a closer view for reasons of his own. The dragon rolled over. “Look!” he said. “What do you say to that?”

“Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!” exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: “Old fool! Why there is a large patch in the hollow of his left breast as bare as a snail out of its shell!”

After he had seen that Mr Baggins' one idea was to get away. “Well, I really must not detain Your Magnificence any longer,” he said, “or keep you from much needed rest. Ponies take some catching, I believe, after a long start. And so do burglars,” he added as a parting short, as he darted back and fled up the tunnel.

Chapter IIX: Inside Information

thehobbit01jpeg.png

Thanks so much, Patty!

You can keep your fancy ales,
You can drink them by the flagon,

The only brew for the brave and true,
Comes from the Green Dragon.

Now, let's raise our pints to the genius of Master Tolkien! :beer:

Here, here!! :cheers: :flower: Thank you, Patty and Fleur. My original copy goes back to the 60's. A timeless tale, as is the trilogy. :judges:

I grew up with this story, imagining hobbits would live right across the river and that I could actually meet them if I was lucky. :)

Thanks Patty for sharing that with us!

:beer: ,

Anni

Ahhh, how I love 'The Hobbit' yet I did not know that yesterday was the anniversary of said delight. Thank you so much, Patty, for the sweet reminder. Bilbo's confrontation with Smaug is classic. One of my favorite lines from 'The Hobbit' is quoted below my siggie.

A couple of years ago I read this book to my grandson. We read a couple of chapters every night before he went to bed. We had a grand old time following Bilbo and the dwarves on their adventures. He is eager for the movie and I hope that he will not be disappointed.

:beer: To Bilbo, to Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Kili, Fili, Bombar, Ori, Dori, Nori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur and Bofur, to Gandalf, who engineered the adventure in the first place and of course to the Master Mind of Middle-earth and all that it so lovingly embraces.

Salute.

Sign in to follow this