HeySailor

2010 New Yorker Festival

The Brooklyn Vegan is reporting:
o After a sneak-preview screening of "Sympathy for Delicious," which won the U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Prize at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, Rebecca Mead will talk with the film's creative team and co-stars, Mark Ruffalo and Christopher Thornton.
More information will be available at The New Yorker Festival site.

I promise I will report in after I see the film on Oct. 2nd. I wish I had tickets for the Werner Herzog talk before SfD. He's amazing.

Well, I could go see Paul "Pee Wee" Reubens at 7:00. Naw.

Hey, there's still tickets available for SfD. I think the Jake Gyllenhaal event, just added, mind you, is stealing some thunder. pbbb.gif

Now, whoo hoo! cheer2.gif Off to NYC with Spanky and Sandy! I am so excited I haven't had a gals night out in ages and MOMA too! Yippee! Though Pam and Barbara, can you put a little bail money aside, just in case. teehee.gif

Thanks Spanky for asking me! See you bright and early!

drinks_wine.gifgetdown.gif

Off to NYC with Spanky and Sandy! I am so excited I haven't had a gals night out in ages and MOMA too! Yippee! Though Pam and Barbara, can you put a little bail money aside, just in case.

Glenna, just so you're not looking :search: for two people. . . Spanky and Sandy are the same person. :teehee: Are you sure you haven't been hitting the hooch a little early? :wine:

- Pam -

Nope, Pam, glenna isn't seeing double. She has met both the Sandys: the sarcastic, late night goofball who hangs out here, and the responsible, teaching at three different colleges Sandy who drinks less, goes to bed early and prefers Johnny Depp over Orlando. Glad the non-board Sandy wants to see SfD although I am expecting the comments, oh damn, am I.

Worry not, sensible Sandy will keep us out of trouble. Then again one time she did assault a security guard at a NYC concert so hmm, oh my. :P

Sympathy for Delicious Screening Oct 2, 2010

How do you top off a grand day filled with museums, Mexican food, margaritas and fun?

By seeing Sympathy for Delicious at 10:00 PM, of course.

Glenna arrived at Spanky’s Cluttered House of Horrors at 10:00AM, met the bunnies then we cruised up to NYC. She was treated to my custom swear like a sailor turnpike skills.

We started the day by visiting The American Folk Art Museum to view extremely unsettling work by Henry Darger plus other “outsider” artists. Next a quick lunch, then on the Museum of Modern Art. Thank God Professor Sandy D. helped describe unusual photo processes during our walk through the photo exhibits. We tried to enjoy a Matisse exhibition but the crowds made it difficult. We escaped to the sculpture garden.

Still, viewing out there art seemed fitting for what we planned to view on screen.

Next came a ten block detour to a Japanese bookstore then a hair raising push through Times Square’s human sea. We definitely were NOT thinking clearly when we walked down 42nd street.

But we arrived safe and sound at our goal, a small hole in the wall place called the Lime Jungle. Good, cheap Mexican food and potent, cheap Margaritas. We talked, ate and drank until it was time to walk (slowly) to the Director Guild’s Theater. It was a beautiful, clear night, just perfect conditions to act silly, stare at the bright lights and read plaques on historic buildings. At 9:20, 45 minutes before the movie’s start, an impressive line occupied the sidewalk.

Time to wait. We amused ourselves by watching a busload of tourists unload across the street. It looked like a Monty Python stunt; they unloaded so slowly we swore they ran around and got back on again.

At last we shuffled in and hastened to left side fourth row seats. Not a sold-out event but well attended. Always a pleasure to watch a movie with a dedicated crowd that truly cared.

And what a movie. I agree with the Ka-Bloomies who attended the San Francisco showing. What a powerful film. Hard, rough and often punishing. Once the applause died down, we all said the same thing: “That was amazing.”

Even professor Sandy, she often a harsh critic, felt impressed. “That movie was a hundred times better than ‘Crazy Heart.’” I wanted her to tell Mark R. that news but she felt too silly.

The story basics: paraplegic homeless DJ “Delicious” Dean O’Dwyer (Chris Thornton) feels frustrated and furious at his position in life. Father Joe (Mark Ruffalo) tries to guide Dean away from living on Skid Row but Dean refuses. One morning Dean notices one of his compatriots is suffering; he touches him to see if his friend has a fever. An odd sensation slashes through Dean’s senses.

When Father Joe sees the formerly near death homeless man walking along the street in a clear-minded and healthy condition, he returns to Dean with many questions.

But Dean wants to return to his true love, making music. He attends a DJ competition in a dive where Ariel (Juliette Lewis) watches the DJs.

A frustrated Dean stops when he realizes the table is set too high for him. Ariel attempts to help lower the table. They both are thrown out of the bar. But she knows Dean’s talents and extends an invite to audition for Burn the Diphthongs.

The audition is a disaster. Deranged diva frontman the Stain regards Dean with less than affection. The insulted Dean succeeds in alienating everyone except Ariel, who assures him she still wants him in the band.

Back on Skid Row Dean’s healing abilities create miracles and tension. Father Joe sees Dean as a way of healing and procuring funding for a state of the art homeless shelter, while the unable to heal himself Dean feels used, especially when he discovers how much money Father Joe procures in donations.

Dean experiences a spiritual meltdown. He returns to show the band that rejected him exactly why, aside from his scratch skills, he should be in the band.

Calculating, cunning Stain sees Dean as their ticket into the big time.

And there I stop since the movie twists and turns far and away from what might be a normal path. The remaining story is fantastical, fantastic and fabulous and if I go on spoilers will emerge. Some reviewers thought the last third of the film the weakest. I say they need to stop acting pretentious and remember how to connect to a film.

All the acting felt sound. Chris Thornton as Delicious D was astounding. In the after film discussion Chris explained he found too many roles offered him, especially those on TV, to be too one dimensional: “I always ask where is the monologue where the character complains about his injury, I know it’s there.” He wrote himself one dynamic role, even if it took ten years to come to the screen.

Mark Ruffalo joked: “I agreed to play Father Joe all the while thinking I’d duck out at the last minute and give the role to Ethan Hawke (who was in the audience). But on the day I wanted to do it two other leads dropped out so my idea wasn’t a good one.” His decision to keep the Father Joe role was smart. Mark played the character in minor key cadences, exploding where necessary. He did confess he was hard on himself as a director.

What abut the band? Juliette Lewis’s Ariel worked on so many different levels, she outrageous, sad, and heartbreaking. Her hard humor combined with drug-addled moral compass added extra depth to the film.

The Stain? The few reviewers who felt Orlando over acted has never attended a band’s bitter rehearsal or after show when egos peak in ugly style. Orlando channeled the Stain’s insecurities into cruel pettiness, into delusions of grunge grandeur. The Stain wants to be the adored one, the one and only loved star. The controlling singer thinks he uses Dean yet when the Stain realizes his so-called “side show freak” is the true star, his jealousy explodes into self-destructive fury. He tries to destroy what he encouraged despite the risk of financial ruin. The film needed more of the lead-up to the explosion. But in the scenes developing the disaster, Orlando’s acting was perfect. His portrayal as a selfish, preening psycho told me he needs to walk on the dark side in his roles. An foul angel coated in arsenic, the contrast of his beautiful face laughing and sneering while hiding a rotten soul worked in a far more than cliché manner.

The only character that struck a sour note was Laura Linney as manager Nina, not because of her acting, but because of her cartoonish dialog. She really was reduced to a rock and roll caricature.

Damn, I am rambling!

Highpoints of the after film discussion:

1) Mark told us he is in talks with a company called Maya Entertainment for limited distribution. People asked, “why limited?” Mark shrugged in resignation and claimed, “It’s tough out there.” Sad. Or, as Ariel might say “fucking sad, fuck wad.”

http://maya-entertainment.com/

2) Chris revealed he wrote the Stain’s character thinking Mark would play him.

3) The banter between the two was priceless. The discussion turned to hiring actors with disabilities. Mark talked about having one deaf ear from his brain tumor surgery. Chris arched his brow and claimed, “That doesn’t really count.”

4) Due to the profanity and religious shadings they thoughts the folks at the Windrider Festival might be offended. They were happy to say everyone appreciated how the film did not pander but instead remained rough yet real. All I know if one uses the film’s F-bomb factor as a drinking game then passing out might occur in a half hour.

5) Juliette Lewis was their rock and roll touchstone. She rejected all the initial songs.

6) The film contained lots of improvisation. Mark saw what developed and told his actors to go with it.

7) Mark Ruffalo is far more handsome in person that he is on screen. Go figure. I was surprised.

8) As we left the theater, Ethan Hawke descended from the balcony so his fans blocked traffic. We pushed past him. Once on the sidewalk we all marveled at his petite stature.

We arrived home by 2:30AM. Instead of staying over Glenna elected to drive home. She’s off on vacation on Monday so she wanted to sleep in her own bed.

So a fun day, a great film and we have plans for more museum adventures.

A blathering Spanky

The whole day was great, my feet and legs are still hurting from all the walking! What a beautiful day too!

I learned more about art and photography on Saturday than in the whole of my life. And Spanky and Sandy, I made the boys listen to my wealth of knowledge and showed them all that we saw on the websites. (Both agree that Henry Darger is nuts!) They dutifully listened and then went back to the soccer game. :teehee:

There was nobody on the road at 3:00 a.m. and I breezed home. (I am a little old to be getting in at 4:00 a.m. though!) Thanks again to my wonderful friends, you guys are the best!

glenna

Sorry we walked you so much! As you could see we're too cheap to cab it. My feet felt ready to fall off.

Prof Sandy had a great time since she had a willing victim. She's quite happy to conduct more Ka-Bloomie art museum tours. And seeing Orlando as the Stain completely revised her opinion of him as an actor. :thumbsup:

It was a great 16.5 hour day! :grouphug: