Sunstar

The Good Doctor

According to The Movie Insider, Orlando will be starring in The Good Doctor. He is also listed as one of the producers.

When Dr. Martin Ploeck, who has spent his life looking for respect, meets an 18-year-old patient named Diane, admitted for a kidney infection, he gets a much-needed boost of self-esteem. However, when her health starts improving, Martin fears losing her, so he begins tampering with her treatment, keeping Diane sick and in the hospital right next to him.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the heads up, Sunstar. A new movie is always exciting. Just wish we'd start seeing some of the canned ones! lol.gif

Whether Orlando is truly involved or not remains to be seen but to support it, he is listed on this casting notice as playing the doctor Martin Ploeck. The casting for The Good Doctor is in progress. Don't read on if you don't want to know anything about the characters. SPOILERS AHOY!

Dr. Martin Ploeck is mentioned as being a resident.

The stinkers wouldn't let me right-click-save so I'll be typing it all in momentarily.

ETA: Spoilers contained in the casting information below:

Role # 1 - Diane - 18 y/o female. She's in the hospital with a kidney infection. Diane gets close with martin, and has no idea that he is altering her treatment so she has to stay in the hospital longer.

Role #2 - Dr. Waylans - 35-50 y/o Causasian male - Martins uperior. He questions Martin's motivation for becoming a doctor. He later grows to respect him.

Role #3 - Dan - 22-32 Causasian male with Medium, athletic, thin body type. He's a resident like Martin. He's attractive and confident and successful in most everything he does.

Role #4 - Theresa - 39-49 y/o female. She is an intolerant, snobby nurse. She's been a nurse for close to 20 years. She doesn't get along with Martin.

Role #5 - Mike- 29-41 y/o male Body builder body type. He's a big man, an orderlly at the hospital with a chip on his shoulder.

Role #6 - Rich - 18-23 male with medium, athletic, body builder body type. 18 year old. Diane's attractive arrogant boyfriend.

Role #7 - Cop -23-45 male. He is investigating Mike's death. He questions Martin.

The director is listed on the casting notice - Irishman Lance Daly. Which might explain the twitpic of Orlando in the Dublin airport back on November 6th.

Not sure how reliable this is, but here goes: National Ledger

THE BIG-SCREEN SCENE: Casting is under way for supporting players, including the young leading lady, in "The Good Doctor," the film that will have Orlando Bloom playing a medico desperately seeking respect -- and finding it when he treats a pretty 18-year-old kidney patient. His attachment grows so strong, he starts messing with her treatment to keep her sick enough to stay with him in the hospital. Bad doctor!

There's an interview with Lance Daly on View about his film Kisses, and in his answer to the last question he confirms that he is working with Orlando, although he doesn't mention The Good Doctor. There's no date on the article but I read it sometime towards the end of 2009.

What's your next project?

LD: Hard to tell. I'm working on a paranoia thriller called The Day I Tried to Live with Orlando Bloom, and I've got a script called I Scream Love about murderous jealousy between young lovers which is coming along quite well. Hopefully one of these will go soon.

The Good Doctor will be filmed in California according to this article about film incentives:

<snip>Patty Long, line producer on "The Good Doctor" added, "To my surprise and delight, our independent film is staying in Los Angeles to shoot principal photography due to California's new production incentive program. The California incentive actually beat numbers from other incentive programs around the country; plus we get to tap into a large, experienced cast and crew base. I am thrilled to be able to stay home and work."<snip>

No definitive start date, but Orlando confirmed in an interview yesterday that it is going ahead (cross posted from SfD pictures - full interview here)

From Just Jared

Orlando also confirmed to JustJared.com that he’s soon going to start shooting the new movie, The Good Doctor. “Except he’s not a good doctor — at all!” he laughed. Check out the movie synopsis on IMDB!.

Backstage

The following listings are not casting notices but instead reflect the best general information available about current casting assignments. Do your homework and use them wisely. Do not phone or visit casting directors' offices. Unless otherwise instructed, all contact with casting directors should be through the mail. Blind mass mailings are not recommended. An asterisk (*) denotes a changed listing.

* NEW The Good Doctor (Thriller). Orlando Bloom stars as Dr. Martin Ploeck, a disturbed man who's spent a lifetime looking for attention and recognition and finally finds it when he saves a teenage patient. When he realizes that with the patient's release, the focus on his talents will be gone, he goes to twisted lengths to ensure that doesn't happen. Casting: Jeanne McCarthy and Nicole Abellera, Jeanne McCarthy Casting, 1750 Ocean Park Blvd., Ste. 208, Santa Monica, CA 90405. Shoots in early February.

:cool_beans:

Officially official!! From Hollywood Reporter:

Orlando Bloom to star in 'Good Doctor'

Indie drama is described as a Hitchcockian thriller

By Borys Kit

Orlando Bloom is toplining "The Good Doctor," an indie drama to which Michael Pena, Troy Garity, Courtney Ford, Taraji P. Henson, Rob Morrow and J.K. Simmons are in negotiations to co-star.

Bloom also is producing the Lance Daly-directed pic while his Viddywell Prods. producing partner Sharon Miller exec produces. Jonathan King and Dan Etheridge also are producing.

The script from John Enbom ("Veronica Mars"), described as a Hitchcockian thriller, centers on a frustrated doctor looking to impress his superiors and colleagues. When his 18-year-old patient, admitted for a kidney infection, provides him with the esteem he so craves, the doctor tampers with her treatment so that she'll have to stay at the hospital with him.

Pena will play an orderly who discovers the doctor's budding relationship and blackmails him for prescription painkillers. Garity is a successful, self-assured doctor, a counterpoint to Bloom. Ford is a woman who has eyes for Bloom's character.

Production is to start this week in Los Angeles. Leonid Lebedev is exec producing while Julia Lebedev acts as co-producer. Nicholas Chartier of Voltage Pictures is handling foreign sales. "Doctor" will make house calls at the European Film Market, which opens next week in Berlin.

Bloom, repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment, continues to raise his indie film profile. He was at Sundance for Mark Ruffalo's "Sympathy for Delicious" and has wrapped production on "Main Street." He also recently starred in the West End production of "In Celebration" in London.

I'm soooo excited! :cool_beans:

His production company is 'Viddywell Productions'? :lmao2:

European Showcase

** warning: plot description contained, which differs from what we've read so far **

Among the box-fresh projects on offer to tempt international buyers at this year’s European Film Market (Feb 11-21) are projects directed by Steven Soderbergh, Tom Hanks and Francois Ozon, as well as interesting new titles set to star Orlando Bloom, Uma Thurman, Emily Blunt and Catherine Deneuve

As the industry gears up for the first major international market of 2010, there is a sense among the US contingent that the EFM could represent the start of an upswing.

Foreign buyers and US sales agents were on the ground in modest numbers at Sundance, and the deals and conversations that ensued will inform a portion of business in Berlin, besides the usual raft of new work.

Summit International arrives with Larry Crowne, which reunites the Charlie Wilson’s War team of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Hanks wrote and will direct the comedy about a man who reinvents himself. Production is set to kick off in April.

Voltage Pictures introduces The Good Doctor starring Orlando Bloom, director Lance Daly’s follow-up to his Irish drama Kisses. Bloom plays a resident doctor who is blackmailed by an intern after he accidentally kills a patient. Principal photography starts in early February.

Here's a more detailed synopsis from Voltage Pictures.

A young doctor falls for a beautiful 18-year-old patient of his. Unfortunately the feeling is not mutual but he is now obsessed, so he contaminates her prescription keeping her just sick enough to leave her in his care. They form a close bond, but events spiral out of control until one day he takes it too far and the girl dies. Devastated and paranoid, he seemingly gets away with it, only to become caught in the blackmailing web of a spying intern with an addiction to prescription pills. Backed into a corner, the Good Doctor has no choice but to cover his tracks by any means necessary. . .

Cute little tweet from Taraji Henson today:

On the set trying to convince cutie pie Orlando Bloom to join us in Twitterville. I need your help!! I'll let him see your tweets.

:lol:

Sarah Lancaster - Variety

Sarah Lancaster ("Chuck") has nabbed a role in the indie "The Good Doctor" with Orlando Bloom, Troy Garity, and Michael Pena. Lancaster will play Garity's girlfriend and the daughter of one of the doctors. She continues to be a series regular on the Peacock's "Chuck."

Oh and to put in a plug for Twitter, my library actually uses Twitter to push out research, events, new publications, etc. to our followers. We've been able to put the Twitter feed onto our library website, so that updates show and our website always have relatively fresh material.

Night filming tomorrow night: Filming Locations

The Good Doctor is scheduled to shoot at 403 W 12th St, Los Angeles tomorrow, 3/06/10 overnight, from 6:00 P.M. – 6:00 A.M.

From Twitter/thegooddrmovie

@RayKeough anticipating some tears tmrw. Wearing waterproof mascara for sure!

about 4 hours ago via Twitterrific in reply to RayKeough

It's raining in LA but our director looks like he's headed to the beach in his Hawaiian print! #gooddrmovie

about 6 hours ago via Twitterrific

Last day of shooting for The Good Doctor! Wish us luck! #gooddrmovie

about 10 hours ago via Twitterrific

Thanks, Sunstar. And one more:

# That's a wrap! about 1 hours ago via Twitterrific

thegooddoctormovie

Filming is done, apparently!

A brief mention of The Good Doctor from Rob Morrow (loved him in Northern Exposure!)

Rob Morrow Gets Emotional

Will you be fine with the occasional film role, or might you jump right back into series television?

I just finished ‘The Good Doctor,’ a really cool movie that Orlando Bloom is producing and starring in. It’s just a very different way of working – I spent six hours on a one-page scene, and to be able to take that time to pursue excellence is a real luxury. I’ve given up trying to predict what will be. There are a lot of options for me, and TV is a good job for a family guy like me. That said, I’d love to find a series on cable that allowed me to do less episodes a year. Or maybe I’ll do a play, or a movie… or nothing!

Interview with Taraji P. Henson where she talks about working with Orlando:

The Good Doctor (2010)—“Nurse Theresa”

AVC: You’re in that with Orlando Bloom.

TPH: I just finished that. Oh God, is he yummy. He’s a sweetie-pie. He. Is. A. Sweetie. Pie. And I felt bad because my character really didn’t like him. So I would be really stern and mean with him and down to business, and then they’d yell “Cut!” and we’d be yack-yack-yack-yack. But I was horrible to him.

AVC: What drew you to it?

TPH: The script and Lance Daly. I saw his other film, Kisses, and I just knew I wanted to work with him as a director. And of course Orlando Bloom. And the producers wrote me the most endearing love letter, basically, asking me to be in the movie. It was actually a love letter.

Interesting little tidbit on why The Good Doctor was filmed in and around Los Angeles. From the L.A. Times:

Stars align to keep filming close to home

Tom Hanks, Adam Sandler, Orlando Bloom and others have been or will be shooting on Southern California streets.

Some Hollywood star power is lighting up local film production.

<snip>

And "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Orlando Bloom recently wrapped his independently produced feature film, "The Good Doctor," a low-budget suspense drama about a young doctor played by Bloom who develops an infatuation with a patient played by Riley Keough.

Bloom and his co-producers spent five weeks filming around Los Angeles, including scenes from the Venice Pier, a house in Van Nuys and the now-defunct Century City Doctors Hospital.

Though "The Good Doctor" is set in L.A., the production might have shot in North Carolina or Georgia were it not for California's new film incentives, said Jonathan King, a producer on the film. The film has a budget of less $10 million and received a approval for a $1.1-million tax credit, according to the California Film Commission.

"We very much wanted to be here so everybody could sleep in our own beds," said King, who also worked on the DreamWorks films "Dreamgirls" and "The Soloist," both of which filmed locally. "The incentives put us over the top."

That knocks off a nice chunk of the overhead!

From an article at Irish Central. :)

Irish film director Lance Daly is making his name with The Good Doctor, his forthcoming new feature with Hollywood A-lister Orlando Bloom.

<snip>

Sure enough new proposals flooded in with stars attached to them. But the one that most caught Daly's attention was The Good Doctor, an Alfred Hitchcock-like thriller about a frustrated doctor who's desperately eager to impress his colleagues.

When a young female patient gives him all the praise and attention he's been craving, Orlando Bloom's unscrupulous doctor messes around with her treatment so she has to spend more time in the hospital with him. It's a shocking premise, and the word is that Bloom is sensational in the role.

Adds Daly, "Each day Bloom's doctor keeps the girl just sick enough to leave her in his care. They form a close bond, but events spiral out of control. Soon he has no choice but to cover his tracks by any means necessary. . ." That's the kind of high stakes set up Daly excels at.

From Movie Web

<snip>

And the amazing thing is, you've already finished your next film. Right?

Lance Daly: Yeah. (Laughs) I finished a film called The Good Doctor. We finished shooting it in March. We'll finish all of the editing, and sound and music, in September. Hopefully it will come out in the States early next year. But it is an American film. We shot it in Los Angeles. Orlando Bloom is the lead. He is from England, but we had a great American cast. This was a really great ensemble, and it was interesting to work with an American crew for the first time. I'm sure that will be out here sometime next year. It's a suspense thriller.

Did you continue this idea of mixing fantasy with reality in the film?

Lance Daly: Actually, yes. A little bit. Its about an eccentric young doctor who lives in his own world half the time. He lives in his own head. There is a fantasy element. I like to think that it has my finger prints on it. It feels like the same voice. Lets see, after it's finished, if that voice is still there.

Lance Daly is promoting his first film, KISSES, which opens at the Angelika in NYC. Here's a Good Doctor-related snippet of an interview at TribecaFilm.com:

<snip>Tribeca: Your next film is The Good Doctor, with Orlando Bloom. Is that a bigger budget movie?

LD: Well, it’s an independent movie, but it had probably 3 or 4 times the budget of Kisses. We shot it in LA, and finished in March, and post-production will be finished by September.

Tribeca: How was the leap to LA?

LD: I just went there for the three months of filming. The crews were brilliant there—like a well-oiled machine, so it was nice. It’s interesting—it’s the first film I directed that I didn’t write, so there’s a bigger level of collaboration, a different process.

Tribeca: When can we see it? Are you taking it to Festivals?

LD: I don’t know. [smiles] I’m just the director. But I imagine so—it’s not overly commercial, and I think it’s artfully rendered by all involved. And it’s a real revelation—as an actor, I think Orlando does something that’s really standout. It’s totally different to what anyone thinks of him, so I think that’s the sort of things that will be interesting in festivals.<snip>

:clap:

From Boston Herald

With his full beard and long red hair, 'Kisses' writer-director Lance Daly could pass for an overgrown leprechaun.

But with 'Kisses,' his award-winning Dublin-set movie about a pair of runaway kids, the 30-something filmmaker has emerged as an unlikely summertime Cinderella, one who's graduated to directing Orlando Bloom in Hollywood.

"Orlando liked 'Kisses' and asked me to direct 'The Good Doctor,' " Daly said in an interview at Manhattan's Oscilloscope Laboratories, the company distributing 'Kisses.'

<snip>

"The Good Doctor," which Daly just finished, "is a Hitchcock-style suspense thriller about a young doctor who gets caught up in all matter of medical misadventure on his way to the top. It seemed like a nice move from 'Kisses.' "’ ”

How did Hollywood compare to Dublin?

"Yeah, it's more money, but actually in L.A. there's a machine there to eat that money. It didn't feel different; it all balances out."”

The Good Doctor has a page over at the Voltage Pictures website. Not much content there yet but the tagline is 'Your life is in his hands. Trust him.' The Good Doctor is listed as being in post-production and Voltage will have a presence at the Toronto Film Festival in September and at the AFM (American Film Market) in November, looking for buyers for all of their offerings, including TGD.