From MTV, an interviewer asked Peter Jackson about applying 3D technology to LOTR:

<snip>It would seem like a no-brainer, then, to green-light a re-release of the most critically and commercially popular movie trilogy of all time, wouldn't it? Um, not so fast. "Nothing has changed, really," sighed Oscar-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson when we caught up with him recently, discussing a 3-D re-release of his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy that would undoubtedly thrill its millions of fans. Back in July, Jackson and fellow visionary James Cameron spoke about how Hollywood should use moviegoers' love of newfangled, high-quality 3-D to revisit its greatest blockbusters. But while Cameron is in the process of preparing "Titanic" for a re-release, and George Lucas is doing the same with the "Star Wars" movies, the epic adventures of Middle-earth are stuck in a head-scratching funk.

"There's a process of dimensionalization, where you can take a movie and turn it into 3-D," Jackson explained of how a filmmaker can revisit a 2-D film and give it a state-of-the-art third-dimensional element. "And I would love to do that to 'The Lord of the Rings.' "

Jackson — whose latest film "The Lovely Bones" hits theaters this weekend — is simultaneously hard at work on "The Hobbit," two films that will return moviegoers to the land of elves, dwarves and monsters of all shapes and sizes. Recently, he told us that he has completed work on the first script and is halfway through the second, with plans for "Pan's Labyrinth" filmmaker Guillermo del Toro to take over directing duties while he produces. So, wouldn't it seem like the perfect time for a "LOTR" re-release that would whet the appetites of fans, much like the "Toy Story" series did recently?

"There are no plans to do that as of yet," explained Jackson, adding that if the process were going to be green-lit, now would be an ideal time since the window of opportunity is closing for a 3-D re-release to occur before the "Hobbit" films. "It would take two to three years to do [the transfer of the 'Rings' films into 3-D]; I'd rather do it sooner rather than later."

Ultimately, the decision rests with the studio that took over New Line Cinema in 2008 and currently oversees all things "Rings"-related.

"Warner Bros. would have to agree to fund [a 3-D re-release], and I'm not sure what their feeling is towards it," Jackson explained, saying he's ready to go whenever the studio is. "It's a question of money."

Somebody needs to ask Warner Bros. and soon. I want to have the 3D boxed set on the shelf right next to the uber-doober special edition, the EE, the Theatrical edition and the cartoon The Hobbit.

Oh I definitely would love to see LOTR ins 3D just as long as it is the EE because there is a lot more of Legolas in the EE than in the original! Imagine having Legolas right there in front of you aiming his bow right at you! :hott: Just the thought of it is making heart go into palpitations! :faint:

Thank you Jill for bringing this over! :snoopy:

Kim :leg:

Add me to the list of people who would gobble this up! Thanks for the news, HS!

And, I agree with you, Kim - the EE would be amazing to see in 3-D. *swoon*

They are talking about releasing them back into theatres, right? Not simply releasing a 3D DVD/BlueRay version?

Thanks for the info HS. It would be great if they could eventually release the LOTR movies in 3D. I hope they can find the time and money to do it.

Oh I definitely would love to see LOTR ins 3D just as long as it is the EE because there is a lot more of Legolas in the EE than in the original! Imagine having Legolas right there in front of you aiming his bow right at you! :hott: Just the thought of it is making heart go into palpitations! :faint:

Thank you Jill for bringing this over! :snoopy:

Kim

I agree Kim. How about those scenes where he is running toward the camara or the famous skateboard down the stairs at Helm's Deep? It will look like he's coming straight toward us. :w00t::faint: If they do the 3D versions of LoTR, I better bring an oxygen tank.

You and me both Marilyn! I just watched my EE DVD of The Two Towers last night so I saw that famous scene with Legolas going down those stairs at Helms' Deep! I get all excited whenever that part comes on, so I can imagine how I would be if I saw it in 3D! I get the same way when he takes down the Oliphaunt in ROTK! :faint:

Kim :leg:

Oh my! I never considered how it would be to have a lumbering oliphaunt heading my way. Awesome. Where's that pre-order button?

:jacked: I wonder if PJ ever fleetingly considered Smell-o-rama? :lol: Yes, I admit I saw John Waters Polyester in Odorama. If not in the theaters, scratch and sniff cards could be included in the DVD packaging. Clean forest smells, flowers in Lothlorien, cave smells in Moria, food cooking in The Shire, sulfur gas in Mordor, dirty ranger/cleaned up ranger. LOTR was a delight to the eyes and ears but the poor nose was completely ignored.

Jill, you are too funny! :lol: If PJ did do that with LOTR I never would want to leave Middle Earth! :leg: Just thinking about it I can almost smell the lembas baking. :gingerbreadman:

Kim

With the success of the 3D version of Avatar, converting LOTR to 3D is looking more likely according to The Times Online:

<snip>

Retro-fitting a screen classic with 3-D imagery could take as little as four months, using software to manipulate a digital copy of the film.

Peter Jackson, director of The Lord of the Rings, said last spring that he wanted to reissue the trilogy in 3-D if Avatar persuaded enough cinemas to put in new 3-D projectors. Last week technicians at Weta, the production company that had worked on the trilogy, said they had experimented with 3-D battle scenes and proclaimed them to be "gob-smacking".

The Lord of the Rings is expected to be re-released after Jackson has finished producing the two-part version of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit over the next two years. This would mean that a 3-D version of The Fellowship of the Ring, the first part of the trilogy, could be in cinemas by Christmas 2012.

It may be beaten to the screen by a revamped version of Star Wars. George Lucas, the director, spent $13m filming the original in 1976, added special effects in 1997 and 2004, and will now spend another $10m to change it into a 3-D spectacular.

"George cannot leave it alone," said an associate. "He is salivating at the opportunity to play with it again. This time the Death Star is really going to explode all over the audience and leave them gasping."

<snip>

I still think they should include odorama or smell-o-vision for a truly unique viewing experience!

:write: Ple-e-ese Peter, if you are going to all that trouble, just do the full length version and ignore the 'theatrical' cut.

T.

:write: Ple-e-ese Peter, if you are going to all that trouble, just do the full length version and ignore the 'theatrical' cut.

T.

I doubt that studio would detour from their tried-and-true cash cow formula. They've stuck with the script with the Blu-Ray (theatrical version first) and they'll do the same thing with the 3D. And when they've released both versions in all of different formats, they'll repeat the process and move on to the super-duper-uber version that incorporates all of the extra footage that we haven't seen yet.

The real test will be to hold out for the final and best version. I think I can live without the high def Blu-Ray for awhile but I'll have a harder time holding out for the longer expanded 3D version. By the time they've run out of footage to release, it'll be time for an anniversary edition with new interviews and tweeked special effects (Greedo drew his gun first!). :lol:

So, what I'm reading is that by my 70th birthday, I'll be able to see the Extended hi-def, 3D version of 'The Lord of the Rings' in theaters? Let's hope my eyesight and other parts hold out that long. :rofl:

T.

I would like to second that motion and I hope he does go straight to the EE version because I will not watch the theatrical cut no matter how many dimensions there is because of all the scenes they cut out of Legolas! :leg:

I just read your posts Jill and Adrianne, so I guess I will hold out as well. :thumbs:

Kim

Lord of the Rings in 3D? WOW! A 3D Prince Legolas! And the other men don't look bad either!

I would like to second that motion and I hope he does go straight to the EE version because I will not watch the theatrical cut no matter how many dimensions there is because of all the scenes they cut out of Legolas! :leg:

I just read your posts Jill and Adrianne, so I guess I will hold out as well. :thumbs:

I couldn't agree more. To handle the 3dversion that way would be a blatant grab for money, and I'd be in my dotage before I got to see the uber uber version. By that time too, there will probably be another dimension we can watch it in, and the nonsense will start all over again!

This would be more than amazing! I really hope that Peter can make this happen! :yahoo: