HeySailor

Orlando named UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador

From Reuters:

NEW YORK, Oct. 12 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Actor Orlando Bloom was appointed a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador today, in recognition of his commitment to the rights of children around the world.

"Advocacy from UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors helps build momentum to improve the lives of children around the world," said UNICEF Executive Director, Ann M. Veneman. "We are proud to have Orlando Bloom as one of the strong voices for vulnerable children."

Mr. Bloom has already seen the work UNICEF is doing in Nepal, Russia, and Sarajevo. And he is committed to supporting UNICEF's efforts. "I look forward to working with UNICEF as they continue to make the world a better place for children," he said.

Mr. Bloom said he wants to be an active Ambassador for the children's organization. He will follow in the footsteps of such luminaries as Audrey Hepburn, Danny Kaye, Shakira, Sir Roger Moore, David Beckham, Jackie Chan, Mia Farrow, Vanessa Redgrave and many others. These ambassadors devote their time to raising awareness of UNICEF, and influencing global policy on behalf of children around the world.

Mr. Bloom has supported UNICEF's work since 2007, when he first visited schools in the remote western districts of Kaski and Chitwan, two of the poorest areas of Nepal. He was able to see how UNICEF's water and sanitation programmes benefit local families. In Nepal, Orlando spoke about the importance of education; and when asked by the children, he agreed to perform a small role in their local school radio production.

Mr. Bloom went to Nepal again in June 2008 to see how UNICEF and its partners are working to provide clean water for children and families. He has also visited the Krasnoselsky centre in Moscow, a shelter for children from economically vulnerable families.

Mr. Bloom said, "UNICEF doesn't just deliver humanitarian aid, which is what they are known for all over the world. They also educate and provide tools which help women and children face challenges specific to their own lives. I responded to how UNICEF works as much as I did to the work itself. I look forward to learning more and to supporting UNICEF any way I can."

To celebrate 20 years of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, Orlando Bloom will, this week, record a Public Service Announcement (PSA) for UNICEF on the importance of clean and accessible drinking water. The PSA can be watched on: http://www.unicef.org/rightsite/364_374.htm

What can I say? Whatta guy! :blush: I'm just so proud to be a fan and this is one of the many reasons why. Edited by Jan

Thanks, Jill, you beat me to it!

This is great news and wonderful what Orlando contributes!

This has been in the works for quite a while, as we had a heads-up, what, a couple of years ago?

Congrats to Orlando. It's so richly deserved.

Yes, I believe we had first heard rumblings about this in Seattle at FlingCon, when we got the phone messages.

This is wonderful news all around. Congratulations to Orlando on this recognition!

Thanks, Jill.

So it's official, Orlando is UNICEF's Goodwill Ambassador! :heart: I am so happy and so proud of Orlando and this is the main reason why I love him so much, it's because of how much he cares about the world around him and wanting to help those in need, especially children. :throb::throb:

Congratulations Orlando and I know you will make a great Goodwill Ambassador. :iheart:

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful news Jill. :hug:

Kim

Bravo and it's about time! He is the best!

Just made my donation!

glenna :HOHaloweenCat:

This is a wonderful news.

We all know how much Orlando cares about children's rights and many other good causes, he really has a great heart, and he will be a wonderful ambassador.

Congratulations Orlando!!! :2thumbs:

What can I say? Whatta guy! :blush: I'm just so proud to be a fan and this is one of the many reasons why.

My feelings exactly, Jill. I've said it before. He's simply a good man. Without fanfare, without hoopla, he quietly goes about doing good works. Even his naysayers can do nothing to refute that.

What good news for the children of the world.

Thanks, Jill.

Fantastic news on this dreary Monday morning. We all know this is a cause so close to his heart and he will be a wonderful ambassador. Thanks for this news, Jill. :hug:

I've said it before. He's simply a good man. Without fanfare, without hoopla, he quietly goes about doing good works. Even his naysayers can do nothing to refute that. What good news for the children of the world.

Adrianne, you took the words right out of my mouth. He's one special guy.

Thanks for this news Jill.

:HOHaloweenCat:

Thanks, Jill, for posting. Wonderful news and richly deserved by Orlando. They couldn't have chosen a more caring, dedicated guy.

Barbara

What else can be said but Orlando ,you so :punk: rock! It is yet another reason why we love this man soo much.

thanks Jill! :hug:

reeceehorses :2thumbs:

I just fell in love with Orlando for the upteenth time. He richly deserves this honor. Thank you for sharing.

What a special honor! Way to go, Orlando! :cheer2:

Thanks, Jill, for posting.

Thanks for the video clip, Jan. I just love that he's been given an official title now. :wub:

Awww. :wub: That's our Orlando! They couldn't have chosen a better person for the job. Thank you for the clip, Jan.

This has been in the works for quite a while, as we had a heads-up, what, a couple of years ago?

Congrats to Orlando. It's so richly deserved.

Yeah, it was at least two years ago.

Congratulations to him, and to UNICEF for choosing such a worthy representative.

Wonderful news! But not surprising. No, not at all. As Suzie said, "That's our Orlando!"

Thanks for the video, Jan!

It is great to hear the official announcement from UNICEF of Orlando being named Goodwill Ambassador! :throb:

Thank you so much Jan for bringing over the video announcement! :hug:

Kim

How wonderful. Congratulations to Orlando.

And big thanks for the video Jan.