Jules

The Cross: Concept Art

Concept art for Gattaca director Andrew Niccol's next dystopian project, The Cross.

If this is authentic, it looks pretty cool! There are more at the link above, but here are a few from Row Three:

<Images removed; see Patty's post here>

Synopsis of the film below:

Since bringing us the trend setting GATTACA back in 1997, writer/director Andrew Niccol has shied away from hermetic science fiction, deciding instead to keep it light with films like S1m0ne or The Truman Show. Now however, all that's about to change as Niccol heads back to dark, symbolic scifi with The Cross - a film that pits larger than life characters (with names like "Castro" and "Guideon") in almost mythological scale conflict.

When we reported on the project almost a year ago, there wasn't much to go on but the thought of a new scifi project from Niccol was almost enough. Almost. Now we're excited to be able to share some early concept art from designer Jean-Vincent Puzos (Tykho Moon, 10,000 BC). It shows the "small" film to have great scope and we can't help but wonder if Niccol will finally take his place rightful place alongside genre heavyweights like Danhy Boyle, and Chris Nolan.

Synopsis:

Mylar (Bloom) and his younger brother Castro come to a town to cross the border in search of a better life. The two travelers, full of hope, all too quickly realize that their journey leads them to an inescapable world full of doom. The enigmatic border is strictly enforced under the command of a guard, Guideon, who prohibits anyone from ever leaving. Castro doesn’t make it alive past two weeks, but Mylar defies all odds and becomes the first to successfully cross the border. And he also becomes the first to come back… all for the love of a woman, Vera. Mylar must now devise a plan not only to set himself free, but all of his fellow citizens as well. But perhaps crossing the border is not the answer. Perhaps the key lies in altering the border and whatever it may represent…

The Cross already stars a stellar cast of Orlando Bloom, Vincent Cassel, John Goodman and Olga Kurylenko. It's currently in-production in Australia with a 2010 release date attached. After you see the artwork after the break, I think you'll see why we here at QE are excited about this one.

ETA: found another one with bigger concept images:

Row Three

Few filmmakers make an entrance the way Andrew Niccol did. Gattaca may not have broken box office records but the film was widely loved and for me, remains one of the most beautiful and favourite films about the near-future.

Niccol hasn’t exactly been slipping but his offerings since that 1997 classic have been few. I found S1m0ne a miss but loved Lord of War and yet, I found myself hoping that perhaps Niccol would return to sci-fi. My hopes were lifted when earlier in the year it was announced that he was working on a new project, a sci-fi project titled The Cross about “a man seeking to cross a mysterious border, something no one else has achieved.” Vague stuff but intriguing none the less.

The film starts Orlando Bloom in the lead as the man on the run and the fantastic Vincent Cassel as the guard every foiling his plans. Olga Kurylenko also stars in the film likely as some sort of love interest. The original announcement of the project was very vague but our good friends at Quiet Earth have uncovered both an expanded synopsis for the film and some concept art.

First up, what’s it about?

Mylar (Bloom) and his younger brother Castro come to a town to cross the border in search of a better life. The two travelers, full of hope, all too quickly realize that their journey leads them to an inescapable world full of doom. The enigmatic border is strictly enforced under the command of a guard, Guideon, who prohibits anyone from ever leaving. Castro doesn’t make it alive past two weeks, but Mylar defies all odds and becomes the first to successfully cross the border. And he also becomes the first to come back… all for the love of a woman, Vera. Mylar must now devise a plan not only to set himself free, but all of his fellow citizens as well. But perhaps crossing the border is not the answer. Perhaps the key lies in altering the border and whatever it may represent…

If it sounded promising before, it sounds even better now and taking a look at these images, I can’t help but get all giddy.

Edited by Jan

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jules. This is wonderful to see, and the plot is so different from anything Orlando has done. It's really happening, isn't it? :cheer2:

His character's name is Mylar ??? :huh: As in mylar balloons?!? :lol:

Thanks for the art and news, Jules! I know we have a long time to wait, but I'm reeeeally looking forward to this!

Jan, I had a similar reaction to the name! Erm, maybe it will be pronounced differently? Hopefully? :lol:

Thank you so much for all of this, Jules. The conceptual art is amazing! Like Jan said, it will be quite a while, but I'm really excited about this film.

Maybe it'll be pronounced 'meee-lahr'. :lol:

They could have spelled it 'Melar', but then it would come out like 'meh-lahr'.

:tomato:

How about like "miller"? *sigh* I think I went through this with Balian... :lol:

Dang, I sure hope once they start shooting that we'll get a pronunciation for the name. :teehee:

Thanks, Jules, the pictures are magnificent!

I can feel it, that slight tingling in my fingers (and no, I have not participated in a drinking game) and the smile, that creeps onto my face, and of course the stomach, jumping up and down.

This is going to be big, this is going to be so exciting, and if I could time travel into the future, I would be at the movie theatres right at this very moment to see it!

I love SF, and a scifi movie with Orlando in it is the best piece of news I have read in months.

Thanks for the info and pictures, Jules! :cheer2: If we're excited now, what will we be like when the film is released? :lol:

Thanks Jules, that is fascinating! That bridge in the second and third pix seems to have a guard standing on it, so perhaps that is the border. Mylar is not the only doubtful pronunciation - Gideon with a 'u' in it?

Did you notice - "It's currently in-production " - do you think it really has started?

T.

Alright!

Forgive me, ladies but forget 'New York, I Love You'; forget 'Sympathy for Delicious'; forget 'Main Street'. With the exception that Orlando is in each one, none of them has really grabbed my excitement glands. But this, THIS has wrapped its hands around them and squeezed them for all they are worth. I have been catapulted into the excitement stratosphere with this news.

Thank you Jules!

As for the question over the name 'Mylar', it could be a matter of which syllable gets the accent. It could be MY-lar instead of my-Lar. We'll see.

This is so exciting and now I really can't wait to see this movie! :cheer2: The concept art is fabulous and the storyline sounds awesome! So now we know what Orlando's name is, Mylar, that is different. :throb:

I also noticed the in-production comment, I wonder if that is why we haven't heard from or seen Orlando for a while, maybe he is already there!

Thank you Jules for bringing over all the exciting information! :hug:

Kim

Hooray! We're on our way.

Perhaps the name Mylar (however you pronounce it) is symbolic, as are the other names. This is a character who has an affinity for border crossings, perhaps he can see across it in a way that no one else can, a la mylar's curious properties of passing light and not passing light.

Anyway, we'll find out someday.

Happy!

Aliza

Did someone say production photos?

This is good news and while not normally my genre, I will see it because the man is in it! And if nothing else, it gives us a set of names to discuss! :teehee:

Thanks for the update!

glenna

Thanks for this Jules, I'm excited now. It's sooo good to have some solid news and information on a film our man is in instead of just whispered snippets that turn out to not be true. :sigh:

Orlando in a pain and suffering role? A role where he is roughed up by his dangerous quest?

Fabulous!

That one synopsis really spilled the proverbial beans! :huh:

Thanks, Jules!

Spanky, couldn't have said it better myself. I love science fiction and this one sounds really good. I love the name. Its unusual. Judging from the conceptional art, The Cross has moved to the top of my list of must see for next year.

Thanks, Jules

This looks very dark SF and I am not necessarily a fan of Gattaca, but I have high hopes. And will take a box of tissues! No doubt I will cry my eyes out!

Napasha

I hate to throw water on this concept art, but I am not sure it is really for The Cross. The site, www.quietearth.us, which is the source for everyone else's reporting, is no longer up. The original link does not work anymore. I noticed in a comment there on the first day that someone said the artwork was unattributed use of the work of Rudolf Herczog. I looked him up, and at his website, www.rochr.com, you can see that at least one of those pictures is taken directly from his site: http://www.rochr.com/Guardians.html, watermark and all.

Now, the quietearth website appears to be legit, i.e., there is a huge cache for it, but they did not cite a source. I really hope I am wrong, as I love the look of these, but I have a sinking feeling.

ETA: The site is back up now.

Thanks, Patty - Jules and I had checked out the rochr website before these went up. And I saw the comment/note at Quiet Earth from someone, in broken English, referring to rochr.

There is one drawing that is indeed from rochr (and it even looks different from the rest), it is the one with the obvious watermark in the lower right corner - and it comes up in the flash presentation at the front of his website. I never put that one up in the Gallerie. :)

The rest, we'll just have to trust that they are from the correct artist for this project; he has quite an extensive resume (on IMDb), including The Cross. He doesn't appear to have his own website.

I am probably just being paranoid. I want this to happen so much and these pictures are so tantalizing. :paperbag2:

Regardless if the concept art is the real deal or not I am and will remain excited about this project for Orlando. I, too, love science fiction and a sci-fi with him would be amazing. We've been waiting a while for something like this for him. I have confidence it will happen and that it will be fantastic!

I'll be honest, I don't care about the concept art as long as the film itself is a full on project. But thanks guys for being so diligent in confirming the information that's put up on the board. You guys are awesome!