Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Iconic LOTR Bridge destroyed

To see the accompanying picture, check out the original news article. It looks nasty:

Torrential rain, heavy winds and melting snow over the weekend has caused chaos in the South Island, including wiping-out an iconic bridge used in Lord of the Rings. The 110-year-old bridge used by director Peter Jackson in his Lord of the Rings trilogy was partially destroyed today after it was hit by a falling tree.

Property owners Colin and Rosie Bevan said they were devastated as the bridge had just been restored.

The bridge was used in the scene in which Smeagol kills Deagol in a fight over the Ring. It was also used in the scene in which Galadriel and the elves farewelled the companions at Lothlorien.

The couple said it was a major attraction for many tourists who enjoyed having their photographs taken on it.

Replacing it would cost around $35,000. The historic Fernside property also lost four other trees and the roof of the main house was damaged when copper sheets were lifted by the winds, it owners said.

Environment Canterbury's South Canterbury flood controller Graham Sullivan said the Rangitata River reached 1657 cubic metres per second at 10.30am.

Mr Sullivan said the heavy rainfall in the Southern Alps, combined with snow melt and an already wet catchment was responsible for the high levels of the rivers.

That does look nasty, I can't get over the destruction. I do remember seeing it in the Lothlorien scene but the first one with Smeagol I can't remember seeing it in that scene. I guess I will keep a closer eye out for it when I watch ROTK again.

Thank you Jill for letting us know. :)

Kim

I hadn't realized that it was the same bridge used in both those scenes either! More proof that I need to be a RInger and go on one of those tours of New Zealand. :lol:

Of all the rotten luck for those people. Not only was the bridge recently restored but the tree fell and crushed the entire length of the bridge. It couldn't have fall crosswise - no, that would be too easy to fix!

Oh, what a pity! And such bad timing! It could not have happened so the bridge COULD have been restored?!

Napasha

Very Sad, maybe some good samaritans will pony up the repair funds, that's just good for tourism.

g

Thanks Jill for bringing this to us and it so sad and I hope someone can step up and restore it back.

would it be great if the LOTR's cast helped out?

reeceehorses :leg:

Maybe some bright soul could create a charity event to raise money to rebuild the bridge. I'm certain that the enormous worldwide community of LOTR fans would love to chip in.

Sign in to follow this