Sign in to follow this  
mayfrayn

12 posts in this topic

Stephen K Amos has been duped into believing he met notoriously secretive graffiti artist Banksy.

The comedian was invited to a lavish dinner party hosted by Joan Collins, where he was told the elusive guerrilla artist would be revealing himself in public for the first time.

The entire event was filmed, and was intended to be sold to broadcasters on the strength of Banksy’s appearance. At the Oxfordshire country house where the dinner party was being hosted, Amos said: ‘If Banksy’s here, I’m getting some art. That’s my mortgage!’

However, the man introduced as Banksy was, in fact, a bit-part actor called Bryan Lawrence.

Collins, too, was unaware of the duplicity, dreamt up by colourful entrepreneur Ivan Massow, a former adviser to William Hague, as were fellow guests Tamara Beckwith and Ann Mitchell, a stage actress.

The scam was only uncovered when Massow, who made and lost a fortune selling insurance targeted at gay men, went to The Mail on Sunday with his story. The newspaper investigated further, and revealed the truth.

After he was exposed, Massow, a former head of London's Institute of Contemporary Art, said: ‘To pull off what was such a massive art fraud would have been really quite spectacular. I wanted to investigate the nature of what’s real and what’s not real.

‘I knew it would be spotted eventually, as I had put lots of clues in the film, like the fact that the chef was actress Helen Lederer and the waitress was Orlando Bloom’s sister Sam.’

The film of the event, Banksy's Coming For Dinner, will be released on DVD and online next month and is billed as ‘a study of our crazed adoration of celebrity and society’s overwhelming need to consume.’

Production notes from the film say: 'The guests have arrived and are assembled in one of the reception rooms, making small talk over cocktails with Joan, an incredibly gracious hostess, the centre of attention. The group dynamic changes with the arrival of Banksy and the balance of power tilts towards him.’

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2009/05/03/8._and_banksy?rss

2r6l351.jpg

:hmmm:

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm very curious though. It might be very interesting but it might be too English to make sense to me.

Thanks for bringing it over, Mayfrayn. Sam seems to find herself the most intriguing projects.

Aliza

Thanks Mayfrayn!

Sounds intriquing and very twisty turny! (?) Sam is good a turning up the unusual, isn't she?

Thanks again!

glenna

Thanks for this info, mayfrayn.

Reading the article, I couldn't make heads or tails about what was going on but then after watching the trailer on youtube it started making more sense. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this film, there's this feeling of English eccentricity or off the wall craziness, whichever you prefer, that I find appealing.

This is a great find, Mayfrayn. :heart: Thanks for sharing it. I went to the official website and they have the cutest photo of Sam, plus her bio.

banksysamantha.jpg

Samantha Bloom

Samantha Bloom is a British actress who trained at Guildhall School of Music and Drama. After a successful run at Edinburgh she is currently touring with her one women show A Cloud in Trousers in which she plays love forelorn poet Vladimir Mayakovsky. She can be seen at the Komedia during the Brighton Festival and at Wilton's Music Hall in July.

Sam has acted in theatre productions and films including Rabbit Fever in 2006, Love and Other Disasters (also in 2006), Cashback (as Mrs Booth in 2006) and Pride & Prejudice (in 2005, playing Rosings Governess).

Bloom’s theatre roles have included The Skin Game, The Kiss of the Spiderwoman, The Comedy of Errors (as the Abbess), Oedipus (as Chorus Leader), Ghetto (as Judith), Miranda, Richard II, The Memory of Water, An Italian Straw Hat, Measure For Measure (as Juliet) and Afore Night Come (as Mrs Trevis). She also appeared in the Roots Manuva music video in 2005.

http://www.banksyscomingfordinner.com/cast.php#samantha

There is also a Hi-res version of the trailer, info on the release, how to buy the Dvd, a contest to go to the opening and meet the cast, etc.

banksysam.jpg

Screen cap from http://www.banksyscomingfordinner.com/trailer.php

I must admit I had never heard of Banksy, but I looked him up at Wikipedia and now have SOME idea of what this is about. :wacko:

Thanks for the extra information and clarification Patty, and thanks for letting us know Mayfrayn. I am definitely intrigued by this.

:heart: Sweets

I went " :heart::wub: " when I saw the name Banksy!

Then I found out more when I read it :)

Banksy is great, funny they chose him for that.

The director is wearing a shirt with a print of one of his works!!

Thanks to Orlando's sister Sam I have now heard about it!

Anyone interested in Banksy can look at my pictures thread (buzzelphotos), I have taken a lot of pictures of his works in London.

Some of them are destroyed now. :(

Thanks for more information, Mayfrayn! :hug:

Just so you know, hon, you forgot the o in the url. I just copy pasted it. :wink2:

Thanks for more information, Mayfrayn! :hug:

Just so you know, hon, you forgot the o in the url. I just copy pasted it. :wink2:

Thanks honey, I'll correct it immediately!

:hug:

Sign in to follow this