:timeout: Ever-so-slightly Off Topic. I had thought there was a thread somewhere but a search didn't find it for me.

Now that GDT and PJ have announced that The Hobbit will be a two-parter entirely from The Hobbit and will not include material to bridge the gap to LOTR, you might want to take a gander at this new chapter in that gap. At least year 3009 T.A. is covered. :lol:

The Hunt for Gollum is a 40 minute fan-made video with remarkable production values and a look-alike cast. The first trailer starts with a closeup of Strider's head, with his ear to the ground. If it weren't for the different chin, you'd think it was Viggo under the dirt! All made by fanatic volunteers for something like 3000 British Pounds. Check out their trailer at the website! The video is being distributed free on the internet this upcoming Sunday, May 3rd and shown simultaneously at Sci-Fi London. To steer clear of the Tolkein estate and copyright laws, this labor of love will provide no commercial gain for anyone. The blog has interesting posts (to me at least) chronicling their progress and the degree of participation from around the world. It's hard to believe but it was just a year ago, Orcs were seen running rampant in Epping Forest (England); I remember seeing the photos in the Chicago Tribune. This is one heck of a home movie to look forward to before The Hobbit in a few years!

OK, I'm babling now. Time for bed.

Thanks, HS for the link. The trailer was amazing. I'm looking forward to the entire film next Sunday.

Debbi

Thanks, Jill! In the latest trailer we get to see Legolas. :leg:

I'm splitting this into its own topic. :)

Oh my gosh. This is amazing; I watched the trailer and literally had chills. I don't know if its the really well done filming or detailed costumes or great look-alikes or the fact that its just so exciting (and kind of nostalgically special) to see something Lord of the Rings-esque happening again or some combination therein, but I am gobsmacked. Thanks so much for sharing this with us, HS. :hug:

:heart: Sweets

Hard to believe this is a fan-made movie. I just watched the trailer, thanks to Faye, and the production values are stunning! The look-alikes (and voices) are amazing, too. Because at first I didn't know what I was watching, I thought that Gandalf was actually being played by Ian McKellen. Then I realized that Aragorn wasn't Viggo (though looking a lot like him) and realized they were all look-alikes. Looks very cool, though! I like the info about it being all not-for-profit and made by volunteers.

How cool is that?! Thanks HS for the link to the website. I have watched the trailers and am immensely impressed by the atmosphere, the voices (me too, heard Gandalf and though it was Sir Ian), the actors and costumes and of the professionality of this fan made movie. Really great. I'll certainly will be watching this movie online!

Wow, that's pretty amazing! So Jill, you saw pics in the Chicago Tribune, I live 10 minutes away from Epping Forest and I haven't heard a thing about it! :lol:

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The Hunt for Gollum is a 40 minute fan-made video with remarkable production values and a look-alike cast. >snip< This is one heck of a home movie!
You said it, baby! Please excuse me while I pick up my chin off the floor.

I think big name filmmakers should notice this, there is an immense talent and determination behind this. A labor of love, indeed.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This seems to be a quality production. I looked at the cast notes and Max Bracey looks such a natural elf (although I do not think he is meant to be Legolas) that you wonder why he was not in Lord of the Rings. It is hard to realise how long ago that was made now.

T.

Thank you very much Jill for the link to those amazing trailers. :hug: I also have to agree about the look-a-likes, they did look a lot like Viggo and Sir Ian. :2thumbs:

Kim

Wow!! That was amazing! I can't wait till next weekend!

Thanks for the info HS

WOW! This looks awesome! I even made my boys watch it and at least my oldest is syched!

I can't wait for Sunday to get here so we can watch it. Maybe the hubby can get the internet to work on the big screen tv.

Thanks for the heads up HS.

:cheesy:

Jessi

I just got round to watching the finished film, now that it is available and the first rush is over. I gather their website crashed under the load last weekend which is not surprising.

It is really well done and makes a good standalone chapter. It is obviously designed to blend seamlessly with the Jackson films in style and I think it succeeds at that.

My only complaint is a personal one about the format they have used. It took a couple of hours to play three quarters of an hour of film down my really slow supposedly broadband connection, so I would like to have saved it to play again without all the pauses but I couldn't. Since it is free and they are making a point that no-one has been paid any money in the making of it, why bother stopping you from keeping a copy?

T.

Maybe you just caught them during a time of high usage (but not high enough to make it crash); I didn't have any difficulty watching as it downloaded as fast as the playback.

How do you go about keeping a copy? I'll give it a try for you but someone needs to point me in the right direction.

I don't think they were particularly busy. I really do have a very poor connection, but it is a bit better than dial-up.

Thanks for the offer HS, but I have got my brain switched back on today. There is a version on YouTube in four parts of acceptable quality and it is easy to save from there.

(link to first part if anyone else wants it:

)

T.