Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Live music:movie synchronization

Howard Shore will introduce the performances of Switzerland's 21st Century Orchestra who will be playing the FOTR score live to accompany the movie. New York City, Radio City Music Hall. Tickets are on sale now for Friday October 9, 2009 and Saturday October 10, 2009, 7:30 pm both nights. The announcement mentions pre-screening lectures by Doug Adams author of The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films and other events. Did I mention the screen will be "MASSIVE?"

Devoted fans of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Lord of the Rings have read the books, they've seen Peter Jackson's Academy® Award-winning films, and now they will have a chance to experience composer Howard Shore's Academy® and Grammy®-winning score to The Fellowship of the Ring live at Radio City Music Hall on Friday, October 9th and Saturday October 10th. For this extraordinary event, 300 musicians—a 75-piece orchestra and a 225-member choir—have been gathered to perform the complete score to 2001's The Fellowship of the Ring live with the motion picture on a massive screen towering above the stage.

Switzerland's 21st Century Orchestra, under the baton of Maestro Ludwig Wicki and featuring The Collegiate Chorale, the Brooklyn Youth Chorus, and vocal soloist Kaitlyn Lusk, will perform Shore's epic score synchronized to picture. Shore will introduce each evening's performances, which take place at 7:30 p.m., in a pre-concert lecture with Doug Adams, author of The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, and will be available to greet fans at additional events scheduled throughout the weekend.

This once-in-a-lifetime, family-friendly event, held at the most prestigious concert venue in the world, is a milestone affair not to be missed by fans of The Lord of the Rings and classical music lovers everywhere! Tickets go on-sale Friday, December 19th, at noon, and make the perfect holiday gift for a family outing over the Columbus Day weekend. Don't miss it!

Tickets available online at: www.radiocity.com and www.ticketmaster.com.

Tickets to The Fellowship of the Ring at Radio City Music Hall are available beginning on the first day of sale through Ticketmaster Charge By Phone and all Ticketmaster Outlets, and beginning on the second day of sale at the Garden and Music Hall Box Office. All tickets purchased for Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall events contain a Facility Charge. TicketMaster purchases are also subject to their service charge. The telephone number for Madison Square Garden Event and Ticket Information is (212) 465-MSG1.

Although this is a new announcement, tickets have been on sale for awhile and I would suspect that it is now SRO. But if you can be in NYC in October, it might be worth making a call to the ticket office. They may have recently released some seats that had been reserved.

Sounds great! I went to ticketmaster and found 3 seats at $150 and at $64!

My birthday is October, so maybe.

glenna

In conjunction with the RCMH event, there will be an exhibit of the LOTR manuscripts at the Fordham University Lincoln Center Campus. Open to the public, not just those with tickets to the show. Tours in small groups of 10 so SIGN UP NOW if you're interested:

J.R.R. TOLKIEN MANUSCRIPT EXHIBIT AT FORDHAM UNIVERSITY'S LINCOLN CENTER CAMPUS OCTOBER 5 – NOVEMBER 19, 2009 TO COINCIDE WITH THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING HOWARD SHORE'S OSCAR- WINNING SCORE PERFORMED BY 300 MUSICIANS LIVE FILM AT RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL OCTOBER 9TH AND 10TH. Literary manuscripts from Marquette University's renowned J.R.R. Tolkien Collection will be exhibited this fall at Fordham's Gerald M. Quinn Library at Lincoln Center. The Beginnings of a Masterpiece: Original Manuscripts from The Fellowship of the Ring, will coincide with The Radio City Music Hall performance of Howard Shore's Oscar-winning score for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on October 9th and 10th. Beneath an immense 60-foot screen, Mr. Shore's complete original score will be performed by 300 musicians live to Peter Jackson's award-winning epic. There will also be an assortment of Middle-earth programming in Midtown.

The exhibit marks the first time that the literary manuscripts have been exhibited in New York City. Forty select items will be on display, including drawings and sketches, calendars of Middle-earth, linguistic notes about the author's invented languages, Hobbit family genealogies, detailed time schemes and other plot notes, and examples of Tolkien's finest calligraphy.

Marquette University Libraries preserves the manuscripts and working drafts for three of J.R.R. Tolkien's most celebrated books, The Hobbit (1937), Farmer Giles of Ham (1949), and The Lord of the Rings (1954-1955), as well as the original copy of the illustrated children's book, Mr. Bliss. The acquisition of the manuscripts was the brainchild of then Marquette library director William B. Ready (1914-1981). Ready recognized The Lord of the Rings as a work of genius and negotiated to purchase the Oxford professor's papers. Major additions to the J.R.R. Tolkien Collection were acquired in the 1990s and will be featured in the exhibit.

"The Beginnings of a Masterpiece" is free and open to the public on October 9-11, with small group tours at the top of the each hour between 9:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m. Group size will be limited to 10 individuals. Special access rules apply for off-campus guests after October 11th. Please visit Fordham Libraries website at www.library.fordham.edu after September 15th to learn more about viewing the exhibit. The Quinn Library is located on the first floor of the Lowenstein Building at 113 West 60th Street.

Marquette University Libraries' Tolkien Archives Fund, established in 1987 by the late Richard E. Blackwelder and expanded by numerous enthusiasts, is sponsoring the manuscript exhibition.

The concert at Radio City Music Hall will by brought to life by Switzerland's 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, the internationally-acclaimed The Collegiate Chorale, the Grammy Award®-winning Brooklyn Youth Chorus and renowned soprano Kaitlyn Lusk, all under the direction of celebrated Maestro Ludwig Wicki. Tickets are $54-$150. www.theradiocitylotrconcert.com

SPECIAL EVENTS

TheOneRing.net, The New York Comic Con and CAMI Music are pleased to present a weekend filled with LOTR happenings. Scheduled events include:

Talks and signing sessions with Howard Shore and Doug Adams, the author of the upcoming book The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films.

Meetings and panels with special guests (including Howard Shore, Doug Adams, Tolkien linguist Davd Salo and illustrator Colleen Doran) at the Angel Orensanz Foundation

(172 Norfolk Street).

Special guest appearances to be announced

Exclusive post-show concerts

Competitions

Special Events (including pre-concert party)

For more information about Lord of the Rings special events affiliated with the Radio City concert, visit www.theradiocitylotrconcert.com.

Even The Wall Street Journal needs a ka-Bloomie fact checker! From today (and I hope they have the release date for The Hobbit wrong):

For "Lord of the Rings" fans suffering from new film withdrawal (the first of two "Hobbit" films won't hit theaters until December 2012), composer Howard Shore is presenting the next best thing this weekend: a live, score-to-stage performance of his music for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" at Radio City Music Hall in New York, accompanied by a screening of the film on a 60-foot stage. The staging, which features over 300 musicians, including Switzerland's 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, the Collegiate Chorale, the Brooklyn Youth Chorus and soloist soprano Kaitlyn Lusk, under the direction of conductor Ludwig Wicki, will only be performed twice.

Shore says he came up with the idea for a complete score-to-screen "LOTR" performance after spending three years putting together "The Complete LOTR Recordings," a 10-disc CD set that features all of the recorded music from Peter Jackson's trilogy — the extended cut version. (He'd also previously put together a two-hour symphony piece that's been performed numerous times all over the world.)

"When you're working on film music, you're only working on 20, 30-minute sections at a time," he says. "I'd never really heard the whole piece in its entirely before working on the recordings, and once everything was edited together, I wanted to hear it in concert, which in turn, led to the projections."

Shore says that he particularly enjoyed working with the Brooklyn Youth Chorus, while preparing for this weekend's concerts. He notes that in "Fellowship," the children sing mostly in Quenya, a form of Elvish established in J.R.R. Tolkien's books. Specifically, Shore says that within his score, he used the children's voices during the "seduction of the ring" scene, as well as during the fall of Galdalf and in the death of Boromir.

"I connect the sound of the children with scenes between the hobbits and men — it's a very pure sound," he says. "And because of the use of the the Tolkien languages, we have all this kids delving into that world, reading the books, and getting their parents involved. I love seeing that community aspect."

Musicologist Doug Adams, who has known Shore for over a decade and was tapped to write the upcoming "The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films" book (which has its own blog!), adds that this performance of the "Fellowship" score is only beginning. "Film is usually such a passive experience — you sit yourself down and it happens to you," he says. "These performances are as close to a live film as you can get, and there's a lot more planned."

Namely, Shore is prepping a score-to-screen version of "The Two Towers," as well as a version of "The Return of the King" for 2010. The pièce de résistance will be a complete performance of all of the scores for all three films ("nine performances in nine days") in 2011. If that's not enough work, the Canadian composer, who is now based out of New York, has also begun research for "The Hobbit," which is slated to begin shooting next year.

"I've had some wonderful meetings with ["Hobbit" director] Guillermo del Toro and I've looked at his sketch book," he says. "We're talking about the film, where the idea is to create two new "Hobbit" films that seamlessly lead you into 'The Fellowship of the Ring.' How I plan to make that connection with the music, I'm still kind of working out. But I've got a lot of ideas."

Oh my, I'm excited now. All 3 films and scores in 2011!

Sign in to follow this