Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

WETA helps legless Kiwi swim

Back in 06, the Weta wizards showed their compassion by using their collective skills to create legs for a little kiwi bird. Now they've done it again but on a much grander scale - they created a mermaid. Pun intended. :teehee:

Tuesday, 24 February 2009, 4:54 pm

Press Release: TVNZ

Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop Unveils Real Life Mermaid on TVNZ's Close Up

Multiple Oscar winning physical effects company, Weta Workshop, is unveiling a project tnight on Close Up where they took an imaginary character from Peter Pan and turned her into a real life prosthetic to help a Kiwi amputee.

The shift from fantasy to reality began two years ago when Auckland woman, Nadya Vessey wrote to Weta Workshop in Wellington asking if they would help her realise a life long dream and make her a fully functional mermad tail so she could swim, - Vessey lost both her legs as a child.

Richard Taylor and his team of designers took up the challenge and allowed Close Up exclusive access to film Nadya trialling the tail in Kilbirnie's dive pool before taking it for its ultimate test in the sea off Wellington's Oriental Bay.

"It's not only functional but beautiful as well, the wet-suit wrapped prosthetic is encased in gold lycra and Weta has even digitally-printed fish scales on it", says Close Up reporter, Corinne Ambler.

The story on the Kiwi Mermaid airs on TV ONE's Close Up tonight at 7pm and ve available to internet users shortly afterwards.

This story brought tears to my eyes. How fantatic are these people?! They even remembered the scales. :cry:

ETA: The story and video at NZTV One.

That's just amazing. Weta will always have a special place in my heart. After all, they also brought us a beautiful Elf.

Jill, that story had me all weepy, too. Thank-you so much for sharing it. What a lovely, talented group of people. And Nadya, you go, girl. :judges:

Amazing! Just shows how the creative mind of a human can help another human overcome difficulties and disaster! I love these stories! Thanks, Jill, for a great story of human endurance and kindness!

Louise

Wow. :clap: That is really just all I can say. I am amazed and so incredibly touched. I loved hearing the story, watching Nadya swim, and hearing her share little kids reactions. Thank you so much for sharing this, Jill.

:heart: Sweets

Sign in to follow this