ka-Bloom.org Forum

The Cross

Jules

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old 1820 cellar looks fairly threatening in a sci-fi fashion so they can film there if they want. Just a suggestion. :cool_beans:

*snort*

Sounds good to me, sagebutterspanky! Especially if it moves things along!

Thanks, Jules, for the update. I too was just thinking that perhaps he'd be making his way to the land of OZ in preparation for the beginning of filming.

Lisa Q

• 2 weeks later...

Possible location for The Cross:

Orlando Bloom Movie Could be Filmed in Hunter

WHEN action is called on feature film The Cross, starring Hollywood heart-throb Orlando Bloom, it may very well be on Hunter soil.

Screen Hunter Central Coast has revealed the region is one of three locations across NSW in the running to score the $24-million sci-fi thriller.

It follows news yesterday a major Australian film based on John Marsden's novel Tomorrow: When the War Began will be shot in the Hunter later this year.

"We have been pitching for The Cross for the past seven months. Now it's down to three the Hunter, Sydney and Broken Hill," Screen Hunter Central Coast manager Annette Hubber said.

"Landing films like this certainly highlights the region as film friendly, and it doesn't only do it nationally, but it does it internationally."

Toplining The Cross cast alongside Bloom is Bond girl Olga Kurylenko from Quantum of Solace.

Australian prolific producer Jonathon Shteinman, who made Rabbit-Proof Fence, will produce the film, directed by Andrew Nichol.

The Cross is one of 12 feature films Screen Hunter Central Coast is vying for, three of which are blockbusters.

"The Hunter has a vast array of diverse locations. We can fulfil a lot of these briefs," Ms Hubber said.

The region has already established its credentials for big-budget Hollywood films.

In 2005 it scored a cameo in Superman Returns, with University House next to Newcastle City Hall, doubling as a high-rise bank for a shoot-out scene between Metropolis police, robbers and Superman.

Last year Australian actor Hugh Jackman filmed at Blacksmiths Beach for two days for his X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Jules, thanks for bringing this across. :hug: As Screen Hunter personnel said "The Hunter has a vast array of diverse locations," and I do not envy the filmmaker's decision-making. The Hunter region is scenically lovely, from coastal areas to the Hunter Valley, famous for its wines. Sydney and Broken Hill though, will give it a run for its money.

I'm hoping the Hunter Valley is chosen. It's not far from Sydney, and we have family there. In fact, I think it's time to plan a vineyard crawl!

I've got fingers crossed that this will begin soon. It does seem to be moving foward, slowly. I know, we're too impatient, but we need a new movie.

Thanks Jules, for the article, and thanks Semmley, for the information on the Hunter Valley area.

Thanks Jules for the news and Semmley for the further info on the area. I can't wait for them to start shooting this film. I'm more excited about it than any of the recent projects Orlando has chosen to do.

Hope that vineyard crawl you're planning is very rewarding, Semmley.

• 2 weeks later...
Aliza, thanks you for this. :hug: If the site is reliable this is terrific news. I had thought the movie wasn't due to start filming until September, because the Director was still finalising the location. I enjoyed Vincent Cassel acting with Viggo M. in 'Eastern Promises', and so am really looking forward to seeing this film. I'm also wondering what role John Goodman will play. If this news is true, that vineyard crawl I was planning might have to be earlier. :cheer2:

Andrew Niccol could be a very busy man in the near future, with more than just The Cross. Leo DiCaprio is producing and starring in a Ridley Scott directed new version of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. The screenplay is being adapted by Andrew Niccol. No time frame given with the announcement so this colud be a project or two down the road after The Cross. This project seems right up Niccol's alley - it's another dystopian society.

I am hoping, praying and keeping my fingers and everything else crossed (no pun intended) that it is true about The Cross getting started this month! :cheer2: Maybe that is why we haven't seen or heard from Orlando in a while because he is getting ready for this to start. :)

Thank you Aliza and Jill for the latest updates. :hug::iheart:

Kim

• 1 month later...

It's not often that Variety gets their facts wrong but this could be one of those times, hopefully. It was announced yesterday that Andrew Niccol will be adapting the screenplay and directing The Host by Stephanie Meyer (of Twilight fame). This caught my eye:

<snip>Niccol most recently wrote and directed Orlando Bloom starrer "The Cross."<snip>
"directed" in the past tense? Are there any blocks of time when Orlando was AWOL out of the public eye long enough to film The Cross, either on loation or in front of a green screen if needed?

I saw that too Jill and thought it was screwy. I don't think he's being MIA long enough to have shot anything, he keeps showing up places. And would there really be no production photos? I think the article got it wrong, however unlikely.

Aliza

• 5 weeks later...

There is a The Cross script review at ScriptShadow. This post is spoiler-free. The bolding is mine:

Genre: Drama with a touch of sci-fi

Premise: In an undisclosed future, one man will try anything to "cross" a border that cannot be crossed.

About: To star Orlando Bloom, John Goodman, and Olga Kurylenko (Quantum Of Solace), this is a project Andrew Niccol has been wanting to shoot forever, even as early back as the 90s. Early drafts under a different title ("River Road") did not garner a positive response. It is only with his most recent draft, the draft I'm assuming is the one that succeeds this one, that he secured Orlando Bloom. The movie became a go film last month as a result of Bloom's involvement.

Writer: Andrew Niccol

Details: 117 pages - 2007 draft.<snip>

The rest of the review contains spoilers (Orlando's character is no longer a vagrant :zip: ) and opinions about Orlando that I do not agree with. He concluded with "The Cross is a solid script but I wanted more"and that by securing Bloom "it was enough to secure funding and make the film." Woo-hoo! It looks like this film is a "GO" although a check of today's Variety Production lists comes up empty.