ka-Bloom.org Forum

The Cross

Jules

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I hope it is more than just a fan interpretation.
Well then, let's put it this way: It's a bad manip, using a photo of him from 6 or 7 years ago. And stock shots from a lot of other places.

I hope the real thing is done much better.

I think I'm more excited about this particular project than anything else Orlando has done since 'The Lord of the Rings'. It sounds extremely gritty.

Thanks May for the update.

My thoughts exactly Adrianne. The fan-art poster may be presumptious, but I think it's an indication of just how much fans are anticipating the coming movie.

• 1 month later...

Almost casting news for The Cross from Variety; John Goodman is in 'advanced talks':

Gallic sales shingle Kinology is in advanced talks with John Goodman to join Orlando Bloom and Vincent Cassel on Andrew Niccol's "The Cross."

A $24 million sci-fi pic, "Cross" will begin shooting in mid-September in Australia and is skedded for a May 2010 theatrical release. CAA handles North American distribution rights while Gregoire Melin's Kinology is selling international rights.<snip>

I thought filming is supposed to start in July so it's now moved to September? Perhaps he'll do Fools Rush In during the 4-month gap since it was last reported to shoot this summer if I remember correctly. Or there's another project he'll be working on that we don't know yet. Oh yes, please! :w00t:

May 2010, eh? As exciting as it gets! We're definitely in for a summer movie release next year. :vcool:

Thank you Jill for this exciting news! :iheart: I wonder what kind of role John Goodman will be playing, that should be interesting. So now The Cross is set to start filming in September. I am also very excited about it coming out next Summer! May, 2010 can't come soon enough for me and to see Orlando in a Summer movie again, I have missed seeing him on the big screen during the Summer season! :cheer2:

Kim

I just so miss going to the movies with this: I am going to see Orlando - feeling!

Napasha

I am definitely with you on this Napasha, the movies just hasn't been the same without Orlando! :iheart:

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

What a blow! I was looking forward to seeing Orlando in Oz in June. It will be interesting, too, to see if distribution will be arranged world-wide. May the Valar be kind! Thanks for the news though HS.

This article seems to be suggesting that The Cross may not film in Australia, though it doesn't look like a final decision has been made.

Adelaide Now Article

AUSTRALIA is in the middle of the largest influx of big-budget Hollywood film production since the Star Wars prequels but the boom in "runaway production" could come under threat from a strengthening dollar.

Several big-budget films have been announced. They include the $150 million superhero film, The Green Lantern, which will be made in Sydney and the similarly-budgeted The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader in Queensland.

Melbourne's Docklands film studio will host the $63 million Don't Be Afraid of the Dark from producer Guillermo del Toro and starring Katie Holmes. George Miller is making Happy Feet 2 and is in pre-production on Mad Max 4: Fury Road.

The productions follow this year's Australian-made studio box office hits, Knowing and Wolverine.

Executive director of the Screen Producers Association of Australia Geoff Brown said Australia offered a 15 per cent rebate for foreign productions.

"We've got very efficient crews, good post-production and infrastructure and good work ethic and practices," he said. "It's lucky we won those projects off the back of the Australian dollar being substantially lower than now."

A slight increase in the exchange rate (currently around 79c) could affect projects pencilled in to shoot in Australia, he said. They include The Cross, a $24 million production starring Orlando Bloom and Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which scouted locations in SA. Neither has been confirmed.

SA is likely to miss out because of our lack of studio space. The only movie filmed here this year is $2.1 million thriller Road Train. Craig Lahiff's $4 million Swerve starts filming in October. Mario Andreacchio will film The Last Dragon in China but will post-produce it here.

Am I correct that SA stands for South Australia?

This article seems to be suggesting that The Cross may not film in Australia, though it doesn't look like a final decision has been made.

Am I correct that SA stands for South Australia?

I'm sure you are, Jules, especially as this was an article from "Adelaide now."

Interesting reading. I wonder whether they will eventually film in Australia. Exchange rates can undoubtedly make a huge difference to costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Small blurb:'Ocean's 12' star Cassel has 'Cross' to bear in Oz

SAO PAULO (AFP) — French actor Vincent Cassel, who featured in "Ocean's 12", is to head to Australia soon to film a sci-fi movie starring Orlando Bloom and Bond girl Olga Kurylenko, he told AFP.

The multi-national cast, which also includes US actor John Goodman, is to appear in "The Cross" by New Zealand-born director Andrew Niccol, who made "Gattaca" and "Lord of War".

The title of the new film "is a sort of metaphor on borders in general," Cassel said during a visit to Brazil to promote a French movie festival.

He explained that Bloom was to star as a man determined to cross the frontier, while he would play the antagonist just as committed to stopping him.

Kurylenko, the Ukrainian-born actress who played in the latest James Bond flick "Quantum of Solace," incarnates their mutual love interest.

Cassel said filming would begin in the next few months.

Oh wow, that is sounding really good! I can't wait to see this movie and it sounds like to me they are still planning on filming the movie in Australia! I also like that part about Olga Kurylenko playing the mutual love interest; so I guess that means she will be a love interest for both Orlando and Vincent Cassel! :hmmm:

Thank you Jules for the latest update! :hug:

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

ScreenDaily has mention of another project for Olga Kurylenko which will start shooting in Cardiff later this year. :hmmm: When The Cross has wrapped?

The Film Agency for Wales has invested $486,000 (£300,000) in John McNally's debut feature Four Working Days, starring Ray Winstone and Bond girl Olga Kurylenko. The $4.5m (£2.8m) film, billed as a Coen Brothers/Hitchcock style thriller, will start shooting in Cardiff later this year. Kevin Loader (Brideshead Revisited, In The Loop) is onboard as executive producer, with Nerys Lloyd and Margeret Bone producing.

<snip>

Filming schedules are subject to wild changes but so far it looks good for The Cross to still be filming soon.

According to this article, there is a delay:

Orlando's Delayed Cross

ORLANDO Bloom was due to begin filming The Cross in Australia this month, although a hitch has meant production is still a way off.

It is understood Producer Jonathan Shteinman is still scouting for locations for the $24 million science-fiction film.

Hopefully, we get more details soon.