Jules

The Cross

The French version of Premiere magazine has the following:

Après SimOne et l'excitant Lord of war , Andrew Niccol va revenir à la SF de ses débuts ( Bienvenue à Gattaca ) avec The cross. Orlando Bloom y incarnera un vagabond en quête, avec son frère, d’une vie meilleure. Leur voyage les mènera au bord d'une frontière que personne ne peut franchir. Après y être parvenu, il découvrira que le monde de l’autre côté est pire que celui d’où il vient.

Babel Fish translation (with some guesses from me): After SimOne and the exciting Lord of War, Andrew Niccol will return with the SF of its beginnings (Welcome with Gattaca) with The Cross. Orlando Bloom will play a vagrant in search there, with his brother, of a better life. Their voyage will lead them to the edge of a border that nobody can cross. After being lost there, he will discover that the world of the other east coast worse than that from where he comes.

Nothing at IMDb just yet. Sounds really interesting, though. Thanks, Julie.

If he plays a vagrant, maybe he won't have to change the look. :teehee:

Thanks for the (hopefully) news, Jules!

Thanks, Jules, for the update. I'm taking this with a grain of salt. BUT, hope springs eternal when it comes to a new movie for Orlando.

Barbara

Thanks, Jules, for the update. I'm taking this with a grain of salt. BUT, hope springs eternal when it comes to a new movie for Orlando.

Barbara

I am with you Barbara on this one. But playing a vagrant would definitely be an even more different part than what he is doing now. :)

Thank you Jules for bringing this over. :hug:

Kim

Yeah, I know, I am a bit too. We'll see. I figured I would pop it up in the hopes that Premiere magazine as a source is accurate! :2thumbs:

If this is true, it would be another very different role for Orlando. Let's keep our fingers crossed (no pun intended) that our guy's going to be working for quite some time.

Thanks, Jules. My fingers are crossed too.

The Paris-based company Kinology have picked up international rights to The Cross and filming starts in May in Australia according to Variety.

How marvellous if Orlando is in the cast for 'The Cross'. Filming in Australia, in May, eh? I wonder which State? Then again, I'm off to Canada for 3 weeks in May - sigh! it figures! Thanks for the news Jules and Sunstar!

Interesting. Let's hope it doesn't stay a rumour.

Makes me ponder on who will be perfect to play his brother. :hmmm: Great stuff!

Ooooh, great news! Orlando playing a vagrant. That means strategically placed smudges of dirt in his face, or even some wet clothes while crossing a river? :drool_bucket:

Sorry, girls, I have waited for so long to hear about new films with Orlando, that my mind is playing dirty tricks on me. It will of course be a very serious movie, addressing the topic of modern migration and social injustice.as long as Mr Bloom is in it I am going to watch it. :iheart:

Thanks, ladies!

I won´t even start to tell you what images are crossing my mind right now.

All crossables are crossed!

~ Inga ~

Another reference to the film here

Après un film raté, SimOne, et un fim réussi, Lord of war, Andrew Niccol revient à la réalisation avec The Cross, un film de science-fiction dans lequel il met en scène Orlando Bloom (photo).

La science-fiction reste le domaine cinématographique le plus marquant exploité par Andrew Niccol (SimOne, Lord of War) puisqu'il avait dirigé Bienvenue à Gattaca, un petit bijou du genre.

The cross s'intéresse à deux frères, en quête d'une vie meilleure. Les deux hommes parviennent à une frontière réputée infranchissable. Alors qu'ils parviennent à passer de l'autre côté, ils découvrent un monde pire que celui d'où ils viennent.

Orlando Bloom (Kingdom of Heaven, Troie, Le Seigneur des Anneaux, Pirates des Caraïbes) a été engagé pour camper l'un des deux frères. Il travaille en ce moment sous la direction de Mark Ruffalo dans la comédie dramatique Sympathy for Delicious aux côtés de Laura Linney. Il s'est également engagé sur le film d'action de Johnny To, Le cercle rouge ainsi que sur Fools Rush In - Les Ailes de Sarajevo, un film sur les événements ramatiques des Balkans qu'il produit aussi.

Andrew Niccol développe également un film sur l'artiste Savladore Dali, intitulé Dali & I: The Surreal Story.

Which, I think (and anyone better versed at French feel free to jump in :lol: ) says:

After a missed (unsuccessful?) film, SimOne, and a successful fim, Lord of War, Andrew Niccol returns with The Cross, a science fiction film featuring Orlando Bloom. Science fiction remains the cinematographic field most used by Andrew Niccol (SimOne, Lord of War) - he had directed Welcome to Gattaca, a small jewel of its kind. The Cross features two brothers, in search of a better life. The two men arrive at a border considered inpassable. Then they manage to pass to another side, where they discover a world worse than that from here they came. Orlando Bloom (Kingdom off Heaven, Troy, the Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean) is to be one of the two brothers. He works in this moment under the direction of Mark Ruffalo in the dramatic comedy Sympathy for Delicious alongside Laura Linney. He is also engaged in the action film of Johnny To, The Red Circle and Fools Rush In - Wings of Sarajevo, a film about the events of the Balkan War, he produces also. Andrew Niccol is also developing a film about the artist Savladore Dali, entitled Dali & I: The Surreal Story.

Well, at least he's in the film as far as France is concerned! Thanks for the update, Jules.

Barbara

I am with you Barbara on this one. But playing a vagrant would definitely be an even more different part than what he is doing now. :)

Thank you Jules for bringing this over. :hug:

Kim

I am with you, Barbara and Kim!

Thank you for the news, Sunstar and Jules.

Perfect translations, Jules. :thumbsup:

brigitte :cheer2:

Thanks for the news Jules. It sounds promising. We now have 2 sources, though there are similarities in the prose. I'm keeping both my :salt2: and my :goodluck: handy.

I'm also thinking about sweat and dirt.

Aliza

Until I hear confirmation from Orlando or LoriV or see pictures of him filming this movie I will continue to take this with a grain of salt. :salt2: But it does sound like a very interesting story.

Thank you Jules for bringing over this latest article. :iheart:

Kim

It's so funny that after a year of waiting, we get an actual movie and stories of so many others in the works. I hope they're true, because he could do some of his best work in these indie movies.

It's now official! :cheer2:

From Variety

Orlando Bloom to star in 'The Cross'

Cassel, Kurylenko also join sci-fi project

Orlando Bloom, Vincent Cassel ("Eastern Promises") and Olga Kurylenko ("Quantum of Solace") will topline "The Cross," to be directed by Andrew Niccol ("Lord of War" ).

Niccol has initiated pre-production on the $24 million sci-fi escape story, which is scheduled to start principal photography in July in Australia.

CAA packaged "Cross" and is selling North American distribution rights. Gregoire Melin's Kinology is handling international rights.

Set in a border town, "Cross" returns Niccol -- Oscar-nommed for writing "The Truman Show" -- to his favorite domain: the near future. Bloom plays a man seeking to cross a mysterious border, something no one else has achieved; Cassel limns the guard who will go to any lengths to foil him. Kurylenko takes the femme lede. Structured as an Australia-France-Germany co-production, "Cross" is being produced by Bluewater Pics in Sydney, Paris' Spangherabero Films and Berlin's Opal Film Produktion. Wieland Schulz-Keil, Jonathan Shteinman, Jean-Vincent Puzos, Remi Burah and Niccol will produce; Alexander von Hohenthal is serving as German co-producer. "Cross" is a high-profile project on Kinology's Berlin slate, which also features gangster thriller "Vengeance" from Johnnie To.

Kinology's slate is big on French helmers: Mathieu Kassovitz's "Rebellion"; Joann Sfar's "Gainsbourg," now shooting; Juan Solanas' "Upside Down"; and Antoine Charreyron's "The Prodigies."

So it is official! This is awesome news! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see Orlando tackle this one but I still would love to see confirmation from LoriV or Orlando before I get too excited! :cheer2:

Thank you Ryll for bringing this over! :hug:

Kim

I got the alert for this too - I'm SO excited! He's obviously been working behind the scenes and auditioning (DUH! :lol: ), and we will reap the benefits.

Time to set up another Forum, methinks... :thumbsup:

I'm just boggling at the idea of Orlando doing a sci-fi movie! :w00t: Can you imagine the up-coming sci-fi conventions? :faint:

Good for him flying under the radar in getting these parts.

Thank you for this exciting news Ryll!