Jan

19 posts in this topic

LoriV has let me know that Sam will perform an encore of her play "A Cloud in Trousers" on Friday, 23 January, at the Gulbenkian Theatre in Canterbury (located at the University of Kent). Proceeds will benefit Save Canterbury Cathedral and the New Marlowe Theatre Appeal (with which, as we know, Orlando is involved).

Tickets are £12 and can be ordered online here.

Maybe this will be easier for more UK ka-Bloomies to attend than when it was performed in Edinburgh.

I nearly choked on my tea when I read this! Thanks for the info, Jan. I don't know if it's doable but if I can get there, I will. It would be great to see Samantha perform.

That is great news and I wish Samantha all the best of luck in the world! Maybe Orlando will be there again to support her and she will put him to work again like before! :iheart: I wish I could see her but I am on the other side of the pond. So I hope some of our UK sisters will be able to make it.

Thank you Jan and LoriV for letting us know, :hug:

Kim

That's great news. :wub: I'm glad that more folks will get a chance to see Sam's performance and I hope some of our ka-Bloomies are among them. Thank-you, LoriV and Jan, for keeping us posted on Samantha's career. :flower:

A really nice interview with Sam:

Orlando Bloom's Big Sister Samantha on Stage at Canterbury

HAVING a Hollywood heart-throb for a younger brother cuts little ice with Samantha Bloom.

"It's normal," she says, referring to the Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean star Orlando, 28.

"With the rest of the family in Canterbury we see him quite often but he is away filming a lot of the time as he is at the moment."

Now it is time for her to step out of his shadow as she takes centre stage at the Gulbenkian theatre, Canterbury, tomorrow.

Samantha, 33, who trained at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, has been touring the UK with her unique one woman show, a Cloud in Trousers, based on a poem by a tragic early 20th century poet.

Dressed as a man, Samantha acts as a jilted lover awaiting the arrival of his beloved.

"Coming back to Canterbury is a very exciting prospect as I used to come here when I was at Kings College," she said.

"Orlando has been to see the play three times now and helped me hand out flyers when I first performed it at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival last year.

"I had some really great reviews which was good as the challenge of doing an entire show for your own can be daunting but like any actor my passion for it got me through.

"It may be surprising but having such a successful actor as a brother is all quite normal now.

"After the success of Lord of the Rings you get used to the attention it has brought him.

"He has been nothing but supportive as has everyone else and I am really looking forward to a fantastic night."

A Cloud in Trousers is based on the words of the early twentieth century Russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky who, having been disillusioned by his travels and being unlucky in love, killed himself in 1930, aged 36.

"I have always loved Russian literature and wanted a really challenging role which this is perfect for," Samantha said.

"It gives you great freedom being alone on-stage in a show and I could not pass up such an exciting opportunity."

Samantha's show comes as the theatre celebrates its' 40th anniversary.

Her father, the late Kent University law professor Harry Bloom campaigned to get the university to build the playhouse.

Former theatre director Reg Brown, appointed in l970, will open the performance with a short address about the birth of the venue.

"I had no idea about my father's involvement with the Gulbenkian but I always used to come here when I was at school and it is great to come back and see friends and family," said Samantha.

Her performance will be preceded by a University of Kent Clarinet Quartet of Russian folk songs directed by Ian Swatman and include a performance from world-class cellists Alexander Volpov and Jonathan Duke on piano.

Samantha Bloom performs A Cloud in Trousers at the Gulbenkian Theatre, Canterbury tomorrow (Friday) night at 7.45pm.

Tickets cost £12 with reductions for over 60s, students and groups of five or more.

To book call 01227 769075 or visit www.gulbenkiantheatre.co.uk.

The show is sponsored by Bull and Bull solicitors, Canterbury with all proceeds going to the Save Canterbury Cathedral and the New Marlowe Theatre Appeals and to the University of Kent Music Scholarship Scheme.

Thank-you, Jules for bringing this over. :flower: Sam sounds like such an interesting person. And quite level headed. Very nice coverage of her. And there is a cute picture of the siblings with the article. Have we seen it before?

642719zn2.jpg

Very interesting. Thank you, Jules.

Thanks for the lovely picture, Patty. Great couple, great family! :iheart:

brigitte :hug:

Sam's performance is tonight and I hope it goes well.

Break a leg, Sam! :thumbsup:

I apologize - LoriV forwarded this on to us nearly 2 weeks ago, and I lost track of it. :paperbag2:

Here are photos and audience reviews of Sam's performance in Canterbury - clickable:

Cloud_Canterbury0109_01.jpg

Cloud_Canterbury0109_02.jpg

For those who want it in the original .pdf format: Sam Bloom Reviews

Thanks to LoriV (and Sonia) for passing these on. Looks like her appearance was a great success!

Wow, Sam must be thrilled with these comments. Especially the one from Jacky Snow. Well done, Sam!

Thanks, Jan, LoriV and Sonia for passing this on.

Thanks Jan and LoriV for keeping us in the loop. It sounds like Sam's performance was a total triumph.

Way to go Sam! Now to spread the word so we get to see you perform more often.

Krissy

I LOVE the photomontage. Sam is so expressive in these images - I really wish I could have seen her. Jan, LoriV, and Sonia, thank-you so much for sharing these with us. I was hoping things went well and I am glad to know they did. :heart:

This has been a great success for Sam. Wonderful! :clap:

In the photo montage you can really see the resemblance between siblings. That fabulous bone structure runs in the family. So does talent.

I'm looking forward to the day that I can go and see her live on stage.

Thank you for the good news to start the week, Jan and LoriV.