ka-Bloom.org Forum

UNICEF: Rehabilitation centre in Moscow

Here's an article from UNICEF about Orlando's visit to a rehabilitation centre in Moscow.

The children in the Krasnoselsky social shelter in the centre of Moscow could not believe their luck when their hero from Pirates of the Caribbean - Orlando Bloom - specially came to visit and spend time with them. "Wow! Will Turner live!"- the children were happy to talk to their hero . "When did you start acting?", "What kind of music do you prefer?", "Do you like Russian cuisine?" Orlando enjoyed the openness and honesty of the children and answered all of their questions.

The children in the shelter have come from vulnerable families no longer able to take care of them, frequently because of enormous economic and social pressures. Many have been neglected and forced to survive on their own, living some or all of the time on the street, where they are exposed to all sorts of risks both physical and psychological. Orlando Bloom went to see the UNICEF-supported shelter, on his first visit to Russia as he wanted to understand for himself the work being done for those children who really need help. Orlando was impressed with the work the shelter is doing to reintegrate the children back into their original families.

UNICEF's Representative in Russia, Bertrand Bainvel, explains that "the work this shelter is doing is important in offering immediate care to children found in extremely hazardous and difficult situations, and in helping them to recover and reintegrate into society. UNICEF is pleased to see that in Russia, much more priority is now being placed on minimizing these situations in the first place either by supporting vulnerable families or developing alternative family based care when it is not in the best interest of the child to grow up in its biological family."

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) supports a number of institutions offering rehabilitation and support to such children in Moscow and St Petersburg, but also works at regional and national levels to promote social services that provide intervention and support starting from early interventions up to reintegration.

Soon Orlando Bloom will become UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador. He has already started to attract attention to children's problems around the world, for example to the issue of providing clean drinking water in Nepal and to the situation of children in Sarajevo.

UNICEF_Moscow_1.jpg

UNICEF_Moscow02.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great that he draws attention to the situation in Russia. I have penpals there who often tell me how difficult everyday life is even for adults. They told me that also in St. Petersburg where they live there are many homeless children.

Hopefully with Orlando's help some more people will notice the problems there and the valuable work of UNICEF.

Thanks for the article and pictures!

I understand now why Orlando seems to attract film roles that are heroic and noble. Such traits are a natural part of his make up. Of all the the precious things on our beautiful planet that need protecting, none are more important then our dear children. They now have a true knight in shining armor to be their advocate.

Thank you Sunstar and Jules.

Thank you so much Sunstar for bringing the story and the pictures over for us! :hug:

I agree with everything you said Adrianne. I am so proud of him for how much he loves and cares about the children and wanting to do all he can to make their lives that much better. :iheart:

Kim

Thanks for finding this, Rene!

Being a teacher, children are extremely close to my heart, so this story makes me all "fuzzy inside" (for lack of a better term). Orlando just gets more amazing all the time, as if that's possible. :iheart:

~Mollie~

Nice read. They certainly couldn't have chosen a perfect advocate for their mission. No wonder how enthusiastic he is around children as he's a big kid himself. :wub:

Thanks for the find Sunstar.

AH! Orlando is a busy bee in the goodwill department! His heart is very big for children, dogs and the disadvantaged all over the world. I'm so pleased to know and support this wonderful person. we need more like him in this insane world! Remember, we can each one of us be the "goodwill ambassador" in our own area. Start looking around for worthwhile projects to back or get involved in. It only takes a few people to make a success out of a failed project. Orlando is our model, get involved!

Louise

What a nice article! Those pictures were lovely, too. Thank you for the article and the photos, Rene. :high5:

What an amazing, generous, giving man. It's no wonder I love him so much. :wub: He's a perfect advocate for those sweet children.

:merry:

- Pam -

A slightly longer article about his UNICEF trip: UNICEF Press Release

MOSCOW, Russian Federation, 24 November 2008 – The children at the Krasnoselsky social shelter in Moscow could not believe their eyes when Orlando Bloom, an enthusiastic supporter of UNICEF programmes, stopped in for a visit recently. This was his first visit to Russia.

The children were all very excited at the chance to talk to their hero. They asked him when he started acting, what kind of music he listens to and whether or not he likes Russian cuisine.

“I love the openness and honesty of children,” Mr. Bloom said, as he answered all of the children’s questions.

Crucial care for children

The children in the shelter are from vulnerable families who are unable to provide for them due to economic and social pressures. Many have been neglected or forced to survive on their own in the streets, exposing them to all sorts physical and psychological traumas.

UNICEF supports a number of institutions in Moscow and St. Petersburg that offer rehabilitation and support to such children.

“I was very impressed with my visit to the UNICEF-supported shelter,” said Mr. Bloom. “I wanted to understand for myself some of the crucial work being done for those children who really need help. Every child has the right to food and to live in a family environment. I was amazed by the strength and courage of the children and how the centre was trying to enable the children to return to their original families.”

Orlando Bloom sampled some local sweets while having tea with the children at the shelter.

A higher priority

UNICEF also works at the regional and national levels to promote social programmes that provide intervention, support and reintegration services.

UNICEF’s Representative in Russia, Bertrand Bainvel, stressed the importance of such services and shelters. He explained that they offer immediate care to children found in extremely hazardous and difficult situations, and help them to recover and reintegrate into society.

“UNICEF is pleased to see that in Russia, much more priority is now being placed on minimizing these situations in the first place either by supporting vulnerable families or developing alternative family based care when it is not in the best interest of the child to grow up in its biological family,” said Mr. Bainvel.

‘Methods to solve problems’

By working with UNICEF, Mr. Bloom has already begun to bring attention to children’s problems in many countries, from providing clean drinking water in Nepal to the situation of children in Sarajevo.

“I like the fact that UNICEF does not simply provide people with the humanitarian aid, but also elaborates on methods and tools to solve problems and improve the life of children and women,” said Mr. Bloom.