Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Blu-Ray FOTR

IGN is claiming that the Blu-Ray LOTR has been indefinitely postponed. I missed an announcement back in September.
<snip>This (the delay in starting The Hobbit) is the second blow in recent months for Tolkien fans, following the announcement in September that the highly anticipated Blu-ray release of Lord of the Rings has been postponed until further notice (most likely timed to coincide with the eventual theatrical release of The Hobbit).<snip>
I wants My Precious.

Collider.com snuck in a few Tolkein questions during press for Lovely Bones:

What is the status of the Blu-ray of Lord of the Rings? Peter Jackson: Well, it keeps changing. I am not the best person to ask about that believe it or not as I am not in charge of the Blu-ray, Warner Home Video is. I believe it is scheduled for sometime next year. They keep changing the date…I don't know why. I've seen the Blu-ray as they sent it to me to approve and I looked at the film and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray but I don't know the date.

And it's still being separated as the theatrical Blu-Ray and then down the road a extended cut Blu-ray?

Jackson: I think so. Again, I'm not 100% certain actually, I could easily find out for you. I think they were just going to do the theatrical version first. <snip>

We have an announced street date! April 6, 2010 all 3 Theatrical versions of LOTR in Blu-Ray in a 9 disc boxed set for $99.98. This includes more than seven hours of special features but an itemized list hasn't been released yet.

The supplemental package will contain mostly special features that were on the various DVD versions of the movies, including featurettes that were originally on LordOfTheRings.net. However, the Blu-ray versions will offer high-def trailers.
The boxed set also will include digital copies of each film and have a BD Live access feature (but it doesn't elaborate on exactly what will be accessed). 1080p and Dolby True HD sound. From the sound of it, some sites are saying that the special features will be in SD, not HD.

Pre-orders start March 2. Start saving your money and remember to use the amazon link at ka-Bloom. Just a guess, but the EE Blu-ray will be out around the time of or just after The Hobbit is released in 2011. That's a long wait for both - The Hobbit and the blu-ray LOTR EE!

I can't wait for this! I don't even have a Blu Ray player, yet! I think that and a new HDTV are going to be my New Year's presents to me. Just so I can watch what will no doubt be a spectacular presentation of my favorite movies of all time.

Thanks Jill for keeping this Tolkien freak well informed.

Was just over at TORn and they have up this trailer for the Blu Ray of "The Lord of the Rings". I actually got chills watching it. It brought back memories, I must say. Legolas figures quite a bit in the trailer.

Lord of the Rings Blu Ray Trailer

Was just over at TORn and they have up this trailer for the Blu Ray of "The Lord of the Rings". I actually got chills watching it. It brought back memories, I must say. Legolas figures quite a bit in the trailer.

I'll go have a gander now. Is this trailer the Big Announcement we were waiting for over in The Hobbit thread?

I'll go have a gander now. Is this trailer the Big Announcement we were waiting for over in The Hobbit thread?

I have no idea. :dontknow:

The Blue Ray Disc Association released its finalized standards for 3Blu Ray films today - that's one more obstacle out of the way of the 3D BluRay LOTR release.

Some comments from Peter Jackson concerning the Blu-Ray LOTR. From Empire via Newsblaze:

Peter Jackson still doesn't know when 'Lord of the Rings' will be available on Blu-ray.The Academy award-winner - who directed the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien - said he had no idea when the films would be available on Blu-ray because of issues with the rights to the franchise, but he offered hope to die-hard fans by suggesting there is the possibility of even more Middle-earth material coming soon.

He said: "I keep getting told different dates. It was supposed to be Christmas but now it's 2010. Possibly as early as March I hear. But to be honest, I have got to the point where I don't really pay much attention to it!

"The first release will be the theatrical versions in a box set, then they're planning to release the extended cuts the following year or something. obviously to make everyone buy it twice. I've been talking to them, but nothings been resolved."

The 48-year-old director said part of the issue was that a lawsuit had been going on between Warner Bros and the heirs of J.R.R. Tolkien which was only resolved in September 2009 and had contributed to the date of the release.

Although Peter admitted avid fans of the trilogy would have to wait to view Middle-earth in high definition, he said there were "myriad hours of extras available" which could be made into further material.

He said to Empire magazine: "I have a couple of ideas for a new documentary. We shot and uploaded seven million feet of film in New Zealand."

The tease.

Really what is the hold up? :shout: I wonder how different they're going to be in the Blu-Ray form? Thank you for the news Jill!

The DVD Times (UK) is reporting a release date of April 6, 2010 in the UK and a suggested price of 75 GBP for the 3 original films in Blu-Ray with the extras we've already seen in standard def., not high definition.

Although Peter admitted avid fans of the trilogy would have to wait to view Middle-earth in high definition, he said there were "myriad hours of extras available" which could be made into further material.

He said to Empire magazine: "I have a couple of ideas for a new documentary. We shot and uploaded seven million feet of film in New Zealand."

Oh please let it happen!

Seven Million! That's like. . .a lot!

April 6 is the US date as well; $66 if pre-ordered at Amazon. Remember to use the amazon link at ka-bloom whenever you go shopping. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the US date, HeySailor! My husband has been waiting for this, just as much or even more then me, if that is possible. :) It's been over a year since you first brought news of this to us, its been quite a wait. I'm glad we will be able to have a copy soon. :2thumbs:

Legolas and Aragorn in Blue Ray :faint:

Here's some BluRay info from someone who has a copy in his hands:

– A 1080p visual presentation and DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 track.

– Digital copies of each film that can be downloaded to your personal computer or portable device.

– Three “Special Features” DVDs with more than 6 hours of bonus footage, including FOX TV’s “Quest for the Ring,” special, the SCI-FI Channel’s “A Passage to Middle-Earth,” featurettes on “Finding Hobbiton” and “Believing the World of Bree,” clips on “Ringwraiths” and “Rivendell,” pieces on the languages and music of Middle-Earth, and much more.

These are the theatrical editions that we are all familiar with. Ditto with the extras. Digital copies is a plus but I'll be waiting for the EE. And the Super Duper Director's Cut.

I couldn't stand to wait. And I already have the 3 previous sets, so what the heck. The thing is, the extras that were part of the theatrical set were different from the extended one (and the Limited Edition had different ones from the others!) and I'd like to have those in HD as well. It was 'on sale' ($55, still expensive though there's a lot more than just the films), but I figured I made up for it by getting KoH for $11.99. :O (And it included $3 off of Avatar when it comes out!)

The problem is, which to watch first? It doesn't matter much today, as I'm going to fall asleep during whatever it is. :yawn:

BTW, the digital copy works until April 2011.

I saw this in Target yesterday when I was in there. I picked it up, read the label, stood there with it in my hand for several moments, looked at the price ($59 and change), contemplated a little more, put it back, walked around for a bit, came back, picked it up again and then finally decided, that it might be best to get a blu-ray player first. :teehee: But I ask you, what better reason to buy a blu-ray player, then for 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy? After all, the reason I bought a DVD player was for the original release of 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. By the way, I like that all three films are in the same package for one price.

I will definitely be back to get it in a week or two. Gotta get that blu-ray player first otherwise I'll be chomping at the bit to watch, not only the films, but all the extras.

I am with Jill, I am going to wait for the Extended Editions to come out on Blue-Ray because there is more Legolas to enjoy than in the theatrical versions of the Trilogy. :leg:

Kim

I couldn't stand to wait. And I already have the 3 previous sets, so what the heck.
Does your LOTR Library take up an entire shelf yet? I seriously considered pre-ordering from the WB Shop because they were throwing in a limited edition Prancing Pony t-shirt. My fingers hovered over my keyboard. I kept the webpage window open. And then I said, screw it. I don't look good in a rounded neckline and black isn't my color. I'm deliberately staying out of video departments because I cannot trust my willpower. For the next 2 years. It won't be THAT hard because I usually order through the ka-Bllom link to Amazon. Although it is tempting. Reviews aren't all that impressed with the video but they're awed by the audio. And I LOVE the music.

If I bought it for a Father's Day gift for hubby, would that be cheating?!

I don't care if I don't have a blu ray player (yet), we wants these! I'll probably pick them up when I get my quarterly bonus at the end of the month, and a player at some later date. Glad to hear the digital copy works until April 2011 because I definitely want the films on my ipod. Guess there's always buying them on itune though.

Sign in to follow this