Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Blu-Ray FOTR

According to my Videobusiness newsletter (a Variety company), Warner Home Video has slipped some LOTR:FOTR Blu-Ray marketing materials into its Oct. 14 Poltergeist Blu-ray disc release. In a promotional booklet of upcoming releases, FOTR is one of a dozen titles "coming soon."

Not soon enough and not enough details. Will we have a repeat of the double-dipping - single theatrical editions being relased in Blu-ray, followed by the boxed set, the single EEs and then an EE boxed set or will the Blu-ray releases jump right to the EE and have the new extras that we've been waiting for? Once you've gone EE, it's hard to go back; I'd hate to have the studio double-dipping again - or is it quadruple-dipping?

Lord of the Rings will look so good in BlueRay. If they do release the theatricals first, then I'll just wait for the EEs. I read somewhere else that they might release it/them next year. Can't wait.

In what has become a familiar pattern, Blu-Ray theatrical editions will be released followed by the Extended Editions. According to ropeofsilicon:

Moving forward in time, it is already known Warner Home Video is planning to release the original Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-ray, but Blu-ray.com has received word it will only be the theatrical editions. Now, before you get upset, the reason the extended editions are being kept in check is because director Peter Jackson wants to save the extended versions for a super Blu-ray boxset to be released near the theatrical release of The Hobbit, which is aiming to have its first installment in theaters in 2010 with the sequel following in 2011.

Of course this means that by 2012 there will probably be a super-duper edition including the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit and its sequel. So when and where you expect to do your double-dipping is up to you, but you at least are in the know.

I like the sound of the Super-Duper edition but I don't know if I have the patience to wait. :unsure:

Being my favourite movies ever, with absolutely no competition to that claim whatsoever, my ownership of the LOTR DVD's went something like this.

Insane excitement at buying the theatrical releases on DVD.. huge anticipation for new footage so insane excitement at buying the extended editions.

Fast forward a few years and out come the costa botes limited edition. despite initial attempts to resist. they're mine!

So I just know that no matter how hard I try and wait for the super duper edition (which I'll inevitably eventually get), I'll get whatever comes out first as well!

It's going to end up quite ridiculous. I'll have the LOTR trilogy on blu-ray/dvd about 6 times eventually!

Ah well, I stopped worrying about my LOTR obsession a long time ago! :lol:

You'll have lots of company, I think, Kyle! I've got the same number of copies plus the VHS version of FOTR and EE-FOTR. I bought a DVD player because of LOTR.

This makes it less imperative for me to get a huge TV and Blu-ray player at the same time. Sure. Right. My credit cards are quaking.

Thanks for the info, Hey Sailor!

Beth

This makes it less imperative for me to get a huge TV and Blu-ray player at the same time. Sure. Right. My credit cards are quaking.
The 'Trades' that I read have mentioned that Blu-Ray players are going to be a greatly reduced item on Black Friday. Even after those unreal short-lived bargain prices, the average price of the players is expected to drop dramatically over the next 6 months. It's good business - they can't sell the Blu-Ray DVDs if people can't play 'em so they're trimming their profit margins close on the players. The good news is that regular DVDs can be played on the Blu-Ray players, too.

:lookie: Start window shopping now so you know what a deal looks like when you see it. You've got plenty of time before the Super-Duper Extended Director's Cut 5 Movie Marathon with never-before-seen-extras Gift Box Set comes out!

Looks like I'm going to be wanting a BluRay DVD player and a better TV. Oh deary, I need a promotion at work :yankchain: . I'll probably buy the movies even if I don't have a player when they come out, because like you all my LOTR obsession is just that great.

:lookie: Start window shopping now so you know what a deal looks like when you see it. You've got plenty of time before the Super-Duper Extended Director's Cut 5 Movie Marathon with never-before-seen-extras Gift Box Set comes out!

HS, my Sears crew know me by my first name. :teehee: I pick their brains every chance I get and have narrowed down the parameters of the tv I want.

From what I was reading, it's the low-end sets that are going on sale on Black Friday, with the name brands being discounted later. My goal is a 40" Samsung with at least a 4 sec recovery rate or better. I am thinking of getting a PS3 instead of the Blu Ray player as I've read they will be updated via games purchased through the years. Regular BluRay players don't get updates. Is this correct?

This is likely to be the most expensive purchase of my life not counting a vehicle, so I'm doing my homework!

Thanks for the advice and the updates. They're invaluable.

Beth

Oftentimes we've moaned about how December just isn't December without Lord of the Rings being released. Well moan no more. Although The Hobbit isn't slated until 2011, there WILL be a LOTR release THIS December. The Trilogy will be released in Blu-Ray. As expected, it'll be the Theatrical Edition with very little in the way of extras. The EE will be waiting for The Hobbit. Some FYE stores are already taking pre-orders. This news came by way of DigitalBits and their legion of eyes on the street and sources at Warners.

Here's some news that you Lord of the Rings fans have been waiting for. Word from a couple of readers is that select FYE stores had signs up last week revealing that Warner Home Video will be releasing New Line's Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray Disc in December. Some stores may even have begun taking preorders. This includes all three films. The titles are not yet listed on the company's website, but our industry sources have informed us that the studio's current plans do indeed call for all three films, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, to be released on Blu-ray in early December on Blu-ray in their original theatrical versions. There will likely be little in the way of extras, as both the extended versions and the special edition material are being held by director Peter Jackson for use in a future "ultimate edition" BD box set, planned for release when the two Hobbit films arrive in theatres and on DVD and Blu-ray starting in 2012. As you know, Warner alluded to the Rings films arriving on Blu-ray in 2009 late last year, in promotional inserts included with some of their recent BD titles. <snip>
:cool_beans: Remember to check through the ka-Bloom link to Amazon. They take pre-orders too although maybe not quite yet.

:yahoo: Yes, a December LOTR release again! Thanks for the info HeySailor. Methinks I'll be getting a BluRay player and the Trilogy with my end-o-year bonus :thumbsup: . Hmm, no new extras because they're being held for future use? When it's all over, I think PJ will end up with all my money. LOL.

That is great to hear! I've been waiting to get them on BluRay. I will probably wait to get the non theatrical release since I already own the DVDs and the Special DVDs. I think my husband would shoot me if I came home with multiple sets of Blu Rays. Then again, it is Orlando and he was so good as Legolas! :cool_beans: Thanks for the info!!

I'm with you Kyle, I always say no, I'll just wait for the EE, but there's always something unique to every release that hooks me right in. Thank god my family indulge my little whims, without having me fitted for a straight jacket.

We don't own a blue ray player, not sure we'll be in the market for one, though hubby, who is extremely frugal, is also a techno-geek and gets sucked into such things despite his best intentions.

:leg:

Aliza

Thank you SO MUCH, Hey Sailor! :iheart:

There goes my money. At least there are a lot of sales nowadays.

Can't wait till December!

Beth

I just got a Blu-Ray player yesterday. I had missed this thread till now. So all 3 are out there? :cool_beans: I watch FotR today and thought it looked great! Even the older dvd version.

I just got a Blu-Ray player yesterday. I had missed this thread till now. So all 3 are out there? :cool_beans:
As of now, no LOTR versions are available in Blu-Ray and there have been no big official announcements from the studio BUT there have been sneaky hints that it's coming. December has been bandied about as the release date for LOTR:FOTR but it's all rumor. Today there was another tease.

For those over 18 in the US and non-French speaking Canada, Warner Brothers Home Video unveiled at Buy 5, Get 1 free promo for purchasers of Blu-Ray DVDs. The Hi-Def release of LOTR was included on the list of films that will be released sometime before April 6, 2010 when the promotion ends.

The fine print leaves an escape clause - subject to change and limited availability. Since there hasn't been any official announcements, any added extras are not known. The first BLU-Ray LOTR released will probaby be the Theatrical Editions, if the past release history of LOTR is used as an example.

Keep a weather eye on the Amazon link at Ka-Bloom; they're usually pretty quick to accept pre-orders.

ETA: Dag-nab-it! I KNEW I should have copied and pasted the list here instead of providing the link. After dinner, I brought up the page to show my husband all of the movies on their list - and it's been deleted down to only 3 titles! Honest! LOTR Trilogy and LOTR (animated) were on the list (As was Star Wars trilogy).

Edited by HeySailor

I went to Virgin Megastore and asked them if they had the Extended Version of LOTR ( I don't had them any more, don't ask me why ), but the sales associate told me it's out of print, and will be released in Blu-Ray soon. Looks like I would have to save money if I want to buy both the player and the blu-ray discs. Sigh.

We're one step closer to the Blu-ray release. The rumors are correct. We have official word via bluray.com but not a lot of details yet. No date for instance. The Blu-Ray version will be the Theatrical version of the trilogy. Amazon is taking pre-orders.

In an early announcement to retailers, New Line Home Entertainment in conjunction with Warner Home Video have revealed the cover art for 'The Lord of the Rings Trilogy' Blu-ray and Amazon has begun taking pre-orders. The release currently does not have a release date, but it is expected to be released later this year - most likely during the holiday season.

No technical specs or special features have been revealed at this time, but you can expect to see 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

The only potentially negative news here is that the films will be presented in their theatrical versions instead of the more popular (and more faithful) extended versions. This is not entirely surprising as Warner made it well known early on that the theatrical versions would be released first, with the extended versions coming sometime later (likely around the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit'). However, any hope of the 2009 release using seamless branching to show both versions has now been washed away.

But, that doesn't take away from the fact that this is indeed 'The Lord of the Rings' - three films which together grossed more than $1B domestically - in high definition. This is one of the releases Blu-ray fans have been begging for, and you can bet this is going to be one of the best selling Blu-ray titles this year.

:thumbsup: For your shopping convenience, here's a link to the thread with the ka-bloom amazon link. $69.99 and free shipping! (The cartoon version is also available on blu-ray).

I had this same info in my mailbox this morning! Was going to post it but you beat me to it HS lol

Thanks for the info!

Thank you for the info, HeySailor. I guess I will have to ready myself to buy a blu-ray player in the near future.

The WB Shop is offering pre-orders of LOTR, the Trilogy, Blu-Ray at their website. For $70, 557 minutes of high def Middle Earth can be all yours; The 9 disc set will be available November 3, 2009. Special Features include:

LOTR.net Featurettes

Previews, Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

DOCUMENTARIES:

Fellowship of the Ring

-Welcome to Middle Earth

-Quest for the Ring

-A Passage to Middle Earth

The Two Towers

-In the Set (Starz/Encore)(14 minutes)

-Return to Middle Earth (WB)(45 miunutes)

The Return of the King

-A Quest Fulfilled: A Director's Vision (23 minutes)

-National Geographic special (46 minutes)

None of these Special Features seems 'new' to me. I believe this offering is the Theatrical Edition.

It's also available at the amazon link so shop through Ka-Bloom if you decide to pre-order.

"The Lord of the Rings" on Blu-Ray! All my dreams are coming true.

"The Lord of the Rings" on Blu-Ray! All my dreams are coming true.

But this is for the theatrical versions, so that means less Legolas. :angry: So I rather wait for the Extended Editions to come out on Blu-Ray which means there is more Legolas to enjoy. :iheart:

I did read that is what Peter Jackson is planning on doing, he is bringing out the theatrical versions first then a year later he will come out with the Extended Editions for which I can't understand why he can't just come out with the Extended ones and forget about the theatrical ones.

Kim

I'm such a geek, I'll shell out for the theatrical and extended versions. And from what I've read right here on kB, the powers that be want PJ to film EXTRAS for the Extendeds. Yippeee!

Love the packaging! I'll definitely be getting these, and of course if/when they release the extendeded ones I'll get those too. Wal Mart has a blu ray player for $98 that I've been eyeing. But of course you can't experience the full glory without an HD tv, but that will have to wait for another day.

Thank you for the info, HeySailor. I guess I will have to ready myself to buy a blu-ray player in the near future.
The price of Blu-Ray players is dropping. Recently Best Buy had a $99 special and Videobusiness (under the same parent as Variety) had an article about BluRay sales on Black Friday:
<snip>With mass pricing already dipping to below $200 on brand-name models, Rubin doesn't think it is out of the question to see $49 Blu-ray player offers around Black Friday. "It's conceivable we could see a $49 Blu-ray player on Black Friday, but I think we'll see more $99 deals," said Rubin. "Anything is possible."
Also of note - Amazon is still taking pre-orders for the Theatrical Version Trilogy - all 3 in BluRay clarity for the pre-order price of $69.99 with free shipping. No release date given. Remember to use the Ka-Bloom/Amazon kink link if this is the route you'll be taking.

WB/New Line Shop, on the other hand, no longer has a page for the Blu-Ray releases. The link on a post back on page 2 is no longer valid.

Sign in to follow this