KLSMom

53 posts in this topic

P4 will be shot in Disney Digital 3D. But if there's no Will Turner, I don't think some gimmicky 3D will get me into a seat more than once.

Captain Jack made an appearance at ComicCon yesterday. P4 grabbed a bit of the spotlight at the Disney TRON panel, as did GDT and his next project for Disney, based on another ride, The Haunted Mansion. Not much substance but Johnny Depp was entertaining as always. Here's an eyewitness account from on of the majors at AICN:

Disney had two surprises waiting for us after the Tron goodies. One was a three minute or so hello from Mr. Jack Sparrow… Johnny Depp in full costume and character, talking to all us nerds “or whatever.”

Jack was kicking back in a chair against a jungle setting, bottle of rum in his hand. He even said “As you may well know there are times when I prefer to look at the world through the bottle of a glass… rum… something like this!” and takes a chug.

“You may have heard rumors and whispers that Jack Sparrow be recruiting a crew to undertake a voyage to the fountain of youth. Not true. ‘Course not. But even it weren’t not true, you wouldn’t be interested in joining, would you?”

Audience cheered, then Jack began talking about the dangers to be found along the way. Mermaids, zombies, cut-throats and the vicious and vivacious Penelope Cruz. “That’s why I’m not going. No sir! It’s impossible to find the place anyway. Nobody knows where it is! Plus I’d have to have a bloody map… or a bloody Mary. Or both… That’s not a bad idea. Bloody Mary’s all around! It’s on the mouse!”

It was a nice gesture, but seemed to get lost where Disney put it. People were already walking out after Tron when Patton was trying to quickly bring out Guillermo del Toro to announce that his next project is a reboot/what?therewasalreadyahauntedmansionmovie? of Disney’s THE HAUNTED MANSION. <snip>

The film has begun production in Hawaii and there have been recent (albeit unpostable here) production photos showing both Johnny and Penelope in full wardrobe, not to mention Kevin McNally as Mr. Gibbs and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa.

Not to :deadhorse: or anything, but Keira and Orlando have clearly moved on.

Work on P4 continues. Disney has made an unusual move for the mouse by hiring an experienced marketing whiz for P4. When they ousted Bob Cook from the studio, his replacement cleaned shop and purged the seasoned staff. Their current marketing chief has no film experience. After the dismal results with their 2 most recent Bruckheimer films (Prince of Persia and Sorcerer's Apprentice), they're getting some experience to market P4 and Mr. Bruckheimer is pleased. Valerie Van Galder is in the hot seat now.

The spoiler-filled Scuttlebutt (don't read this link if you want to avoid spoilers) is that we'll get our first look at the P4 trailer at the beginning of the TRON sequel that comes out in December. It's a good thing we were going to see TRON anyway. lookie.gif

Shooting has been in San Juan this week. The pre-credit scene has been described as a 'knockout.'

Ahoy, Spoilers ahead! DO NOT look if you don't want to know how the movie opens. Presumably opens. This described sequence is said to be in the can already.

The film opens at night. Spanish fisherman spots something in the water. A Shape. He fishes out what he soon discovers is the body of an ancient sailor. The boat's captain rushes over for a look - - before he can make his assessment, the thought-dead sailor's eyes open. Sailor grabs Captain's arm… fade out. The Captain and his aide then arrive at the regal residents of King Ferdinand, with said body, who inform the royal that the not-so-dead sailor claims to have sailed on a vessel belonging to the ship of Ponce de Leon, who died 200 years ago. Ferdinand's first thought is that the sailor has found the legendary Fountain of Youth. He orders 'The Spaniard' to hit the seas in search of it.

Did anyone catch the trailer on Entertainment Tonight (US) last night? Rumor has it that they showed it. I was busy cooking dinner and didn't have the TV on.

AICN news is sharing an insider tip from Hitfix - actors on POTC4 are being asked to keep their calendars open for POTC 5&6! On the surface, this is a vote of confidence in how POTC4 will fare. If they can get some more good plots out of the franchise, there might be a place for Will and Elizabeth cameos.

If anyone out there tweets or is a Facebook friend of Terry and Ted, this might be a good time to put in a plug for Will if they can make his cameo an integral part of the storyline. It'd be great to get the 3 Muska Privateers together again.

Entertainment Tonight is advertising plenty of 'exclusive' coverage of POTC4 to be aired tomorrow - Monday December 13th. I'll be watching. I'm looking forward to scanning the locations to see how many I can recognize as being on Kauai in the Allerton Tropical Garden. Our guide through the garden had pointed out where the Spanish camp was set up for filming.

I still have my fingers crossed that Captain Turner will make a cameo, however brief. It would be ideal if he could be worked into a significant plot point so a cameo wouldn't be a 'token' cameo but hey, I'll take it however it works out. If not this film, maybe the next two.

The January 21 issue of Entertainment Weekly has Captain Jack on the cover and a 4 page spread on the inside. POTC 4 is the first of the 2011 movies that they preview. Nice story, not much new but I few things caught my eye that I'd like to share (the full length article is not online yet):

<snip>Captain jack's latest adventure was born during the back-to-back productions of the franchise's second and third films, 2006's Dead Man's Chest and 2007's At World's End. Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio persuaded series superproducer Jerrry Bruckheimer to option Tim Power's On Stranger Tides, a 1987 novel that featured both the dreaded pirate Blackbeard and the fountain of youth. Once the rights were secured, Elliott and Rossio set the stage for the new installment by writing a concluding scene for At World's End in which Sparrow is seen eading off in search of the fountain in question.

<snip>

However, Depp also says he had issues with the nascent Pirates 4 script. "Things got very mathematical, very subplotty, on the last movie because there were a lot of things that needed to be resolved with the characters," he says. "I wanted to make a film that was more like the first one, that was more character-driven."

To help whip the yarn into shape, Depp attended a series of meetings in LA with the core Pirates team, including director Rob Marshall, who stepped in after Gore Verbinski left the series. "Johnny was instrumental in the design of the story," says Rossio. "I think an arbitration committee might give him a 'story by' credit if he was willing to submit it."

Depp's wish for a sleeker Pirates 4 dovetailed with the desire for a cheaper one on the part of Disney's new regime, led by chairman Rich Ross.

<snip>

Now that Pirates 4 is in the can, Depp admits he would be happy to buckle some more swash. "As long as we can pull all the puzzle pieces together, I would most definitely consider it," he says. "I always fell that with Captain Jack, you can chuck him into any situation and have a ball with it."

Yup, Captain jack is like a cat; he has 9 lives and no matter what he is thrown from, he lands on his feet.

Also gleaned from the article, the new guy, Sam laflin, plays a

young missionary

The plot is zippier and it became challenging to film around Penelope Cruz's expanding waistline. May 20th. Mark your calendars.

(In related news, and potentially a new thread, Variety has reported today that Terry Rossio has been signed to write Pirates 5. No word on Ted or a director yet.)

A Disney Press Release promises viewers a 'different sound' for POTC4 with Hans Zimmer collaborating with the internationally acclaimed guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela. This soundtrack has a May 17, 2011 release date. The film opens (in 3D) May 20th in the US.

<snip>

"We'd always felt it a creative necessity that the 'Pirates of the Caribbean 4' score have an original sound all its own and to distinguish itself from the first three films. With the inspiring addition of Rodrigo y Gabriela's unique artistry under the direction of maestro Hans 'Long John' Zimmer, this iconic score franchise take its next step forward with an imaginative, fresh and individual new sound," says Mitchell Leib, President of Music and Soundtracks for the Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Group and Disney Music Group.

<snip>

Rodrigo y Gabriela are considered the premiere guitar-playing duo in the world. They have sold over one million albums, have sold out arenas and headlined festivals worldwide, and in 2010 they were invited to share the stage with Beyonce for a state dinner at the White House. The collaboration with Hans Zimmer is their first film score-an exciting and defining moment in their career. Their willingness to explore musical expression and to embrace new sounds irrespective of fashion or trends, as well as their point blank refusal to be pigeonholed as any particular genre, is the very foundation of Rodrigo y Gabriela.

The second trailer for POTC4 is out. Here's a link to it at Yahoo Movies. While not wanting to watch too closely (and spoil the plot for me), there seems to be plenty of the usual Jack Sparrow double- and triple-crossing and dirty dealing. "It's not the destination as so much; it's the journey." "I can name fingers and point names." And "it depends on the light." :rofl:

In Vegas at ShoWest (aka CinemaCon) Jerry Bruckheimer was interviewed in USA Today:

Johnny Depp's tour guide on his Pirates of the Caribbean voyages is plotting the course for a fifth installment even before the fourth movie sails into theaters.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer says he has a screenplay in the works for a fifth Pirates tale after May's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides comes out.Based on the Disney theme-park ride, the original three Pirates blockbusters ended up as a trilogy continuing the same key characters and story line. Bruckheimer says On Stranger Tides and future Pirates flicks will be stand-alone stories continuing the adventures of Depp's woozy buccaneer Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Directed by Rob Marshall (Chicago ), On Stranger Tides sends Jack on a quest for the fountain of youth. Bruckheimer and Marshall showed off footage Tuesday at CinemaCon, a Las Vegas convention of theater owners.

At test screenings of On Stranger Tides, "the audience told us what they loved about it is that it was fresh, it was new, it was a whole new story," Bruckheimer said in an interview alongside Marshall. "So that will carry over into the next one, too, to give it something fresh and different. As long as the audience embraces this one, we'll certainly try to make another one. It's really up to Johnny. He loves the character."

<snip>

POTC4 will screen at Cannes (out of competition) after its May 7 world premiere at Disneyland California. This is the first time a film based on an amusement park ride will be screened on The Croisette.

The Hollywood Reporter is providing a few more details this morning. POTC4 will screen May 14 at Cannes, open on French screens May 18th and in the US on May 20th. The Disneyland premiere will be on an outdoor screen in 3D. The official Cannes line-up will be announced tomorrow (Thursday).

There's an exclusive clip from POTC4 at Yahoo Movies. It is an action sequence of Jack escaping from his typically tight spot. I'd hate to be the set dresser that has to re-set the dining table between takes!

The NY Post carried a POTC4 story this morning - "A Touch of Lass" - which gives a little look behind the curtain:

-Pregnancy caused a few complications that required the use of several doubles for Penelope Cruz (stunt double, long shot double, medium shot double, dancing double etc).

-When she came to America years ago, the only two phrases of English that she knew were "How are you?" and "I want to work with Johnny Depp.":teehee: Check that one off your Bucket List, Penny.

-One of the mermaids was a native Spanish speaker who would carry on long after-work Spanish conversations with Penelope; speaking with Penelope was a comfort and gave her aching head some relief from speaking and thinking in English all day.

-Penelope even taught Joohnny some rather raunchy Spanish.

-And I didn't realize that Dame Judi Densch would be re-teaming with Rob Marshall (Nine) and Johnny Depp (Chocolat) in a cameo.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the final scene; I always stay until the very last credit rolls. I figure those gazillions of faceless crew members worked darn hard too and they at least deserve my extra attention at the end.

AintItCool's reviewer gave it a strong thumbs down, in a spoiler-packed review.

Although I've mostly been at the hospital with my mother this week, I did get to see POTC4 Friday afternoon. Yes, I stayed for the "extra" scene after the credits roll, but it surprised me to see people leaving. Doesn't everyone know by now that these movies have an extra (possibly significant, as in POTC3) scene at the end? :beatsme:

Yes, I enjoyed the movie very much and will probably see it at least one more time while it's in the theatres. I haven't decided yet whether I'll buy the DVD or not. Probably so, since I have the first three, but we'll see. It will mainly depend on money, I'm sure.

I'm not going to write a review today since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I will say (for now) go see it. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. Captain Jack is always good for a giggle. As for is there a Will and/or Elizabeth cameo? :whistle: Again, I'm not saying anything, just go see for yourself. :P

Oh, and if you attend a Cinemark theatre they have POTC4 t-shirts on sale (while they last) for $20.

- Pam -

I saw POTC 4 the other day. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I want to go back for another viewing. I saw it in 3D, but didn't really like it in that format. The movie was too dark, and the sword fights were blurry. I also didn't think there were enough opportunities for 3D to be beneficial. This won't give anything away, but there was a snake and a sword that were "thrust" into the audience.

I was very disappointed in the film. The best part for me was a surprise appearance by Judi Dench as the lady in the carriage.

Barbara and Pam, I've been reading your discussions with interest.

I happen to agree with both of you. It was pirate-y with sword fights and ships. It was supernatural with mermaids. There was action and joking and tender moments. I loved Penelope Cruz (so did my dad. :teehee: ). However, and this is merely my own opinion, I personally think the movies should've stopped after the first one. COTBP was the perfect pirate movie. The puns were hilarious, there was a great storyline with just the right amount of action for guys and passion for girls. Treasure had a double meaning ("Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate"). There was a good side and a bad side, and good wins in the end. Each film afterwards lost more and more of the original plot. They got darker and more confusing, and they lacked the spontaneity of the first movie.

I applaud Disney for trying to bring back Jack Sparrow because he's a great character, but I really hope there won't be anymore. And Will or no Will, it was good fun while it lasted.

(steps down and waits for discussion)

Captain Jack is certainly good for a giggle and audiences know what to expect. Yesterday it was announced that POTC4 was the all-time best Disney movie box office in international sales (right behind Avatar, Titanic and LOTR). I hate it when these kind of statistics come out. With rising ticket prices, I would think that a more meaningful number would be the actual number of tickets sold as a measure of a film's popularity. But then again, moviemaking is a business and the suits always have their eye on the bottom line.

For the record, I have not seen POTC4 yet.

Exactly, Jill. I read somewhere that if it were based on # of tickets sold only, that Gone with the Wind would be the all-time leader. (It may have changed, I don't know.) That is a more accurate gauge of a film's popularity.

(I haven't seen it either. I'll wait for DVD, or cable. I don't 'resent' the film at all, I'm just not that interested. I'll use the money I save by spending it on the Blu-ray LOTR set coming out.)