Jules

1 post in this topic

Last night, my husband and I went to see NYILY; we both absolutely loved it! We went for dinner afterwards and spent most of the meal discussing the different stories - interpreting them and picking up on details that the other missed. The range of stories is incredible. Some are quite light-hearted and funny; others are really haunting and melancholy. I saw a different side to Shia LaBeouf in his short with Julie Christie; that story in particular has stayed with me. Several of the stories' characters overlap from one segment to the other, which weaves them together nicely. New York always seems so electric to me; this movie does an amazing job of conveying that feeling.

At the beginning of the showing, they announced that this was a movie in progress. They said that the effects and music were not final. At the end, I was surprised by the warning; it seemed so complete to me. I can't think of a point in the movie where the music seemed wrong or a moment seemed to be lacking any effect.

OK, onto the important stuff! Info. on Orlando's story. Orlando and Christina Ricci's story is right at the beginning of the movie and it's absolutely terrific! It's thoroughly enjoyable - I completely loved it. I think it is another fine example of Orlando showing his acting chops. Once it started, after the initial rush of recognition, I forgot that he was Orlando, he was David. Excellent stuff!

ETA: I've added spoiler tags to a more detailed description. I don't tell the whole story, but for anyone who doesn't want any plot details you can avoid it. smile.gif

Orlando and Christina Ricci's story is right at the beginning of the movie and it's absolutely terrific! Orlando is David, a composer who is being pressured to finish a soundtrack. Christina is Camille. For most of their story, it is only David onscreen; Camille is a voice or photos to him on his cell phone. You see glimpses of her, but never her face. Even though you cannot see her, their interaction/flirtation is very real. Orlando is terrific; he is unkempt and untidy, totally believable as this driven, chain-smoking artist, frustrated by the director's pressures on him (for those wondering: though you see him surrounded by keyboards and instruments, he does not sing). Suffice to say though that it's thoroughly enjoyable, I completely loved it! I think it is another fine example of Orlando showing his acting chops. Once it started, after the initial rush of recognition, I forgot that he was Orlando, he was David. Excellent stuff.