HeySailor

Soccer Aid 2008

The Mirror (UK) has an appeal from Orlando for Soccer Aid:

Orlando Bloom on giving people access to clean water in Nepal:

Every day, 5,000 children around the world die and many more become ill because of diseases spread by unclean water and poor sanitation.

I travelled to Nepal recently and saw how children and their families have no choice but to drink contaminated water from local wells and rivers.

Around 13,000 children under the age of five in Nepal died last year due to diarrhoea.

We drove an hour from the capital Kathmandu to Dhulikhel, where I met six-year-old Manisha who lives with her grandparents.

Manisha's grandmother gets up at 2am every day and walks to the well to get water. It's their only source of water.

If she goes any later, there is likely to be a long queue and she probably wouldn't get enough for the whole family.

I walked with Manisha to the well along a busy main road. It was very hot and humid. I wondered what it must be like for Manisha's grandmother, who often carries 20 litres of water three or four times a day. It is real back-breaking work for people in Nepal. In another village I also met women and children collecting water from a river.

Looking around, I could see the different ways that the river gets contaminated.

There was a dead rat on the river bank, people bathing and washing their clothes in the river, and runoff from the paddy fields contaminated by animal waste. Water is essential for life. But many people in Nepal can only get water that is contaminated.

I was able to see firsthand how water taps have made a huge impact in Kaaldhara, a remote mountain village.

People there can just pop outside their homes to get clean water from taps dotted around the village. Naya, 74, told me how they used to walk for 30 minutes to get water.

She added: "The taps were installed seven years ago and it has made a big difference to our lives.

"I can get water easily and our children don't get ill."

Unicef has been doing what it can to supply safe water to families but much more needs to be done.

My message is simple - by donating to Unicef and helping to supply clean water, you would change not just one person's life, but the lives of a whole community, for years to come.

Last year in Nepal, 13,000 children died as a result of illnesses caused by drinking unsafe water

Just £10 could supply clean water for one person in a community in Nepal.

The Soccer Aid Charity Match is this upcoming Sunday.

While he's traveling all over the world working on movies and attending various events, he also found time to give back, again. This beautiful, sweet, sexy, generous man never ceases to amaze me. :sigh:

Thank you for the article and the link, Jill. I appreciate it. :hug:

- Pam -

While he's traveling all over the world working on movies and attending various events, he also found time to give back, again. This beautiful, sweet, sexy, generous man never ceases to amaze me. :sigh:

- Pam -

Pam, I couldn't have said it any better if I tried. I am so proud of him, seeing how much he cares and wanting to help out as much as he can. I hope something can be done for those people and it really makes you realize how fortunate we are and that we shouldn't take anything for granted.

Thank you Jill for bringing this over. :hug:

Kim

Thank you, Jill. Good for you, Orlando, and God bless for getting the word out.

:hug:

Barbara

Thanks, Jill. :) I made a donation.

Here's the article from UNICEF.

Field trip diary: Nepal

UNICEF UK Media Officer, Shima Islam, went to Nepal this year with a film crew and UNICEF supporter, Orlando Bloom. They visited projects that will be supported by Soccer Aid 2008.

Arriving in Nepal

I travelled to Nepal in July 2008 with the Soccer Aid film crew and UNICEF supporter and actor Orlando Bloom. Our mission was to get an understanding of how people in rural Nepal get clean water.

Before I travelled to Nepal, I knew that the water people were drinking was contaminated and that children in particular were getting sick. In Nepal alone, 13,000 children under the age of five died last year due to diarrhoea.

The local village wells are at best a ten minute walk away or at worst a 40 minute walk with a long wait at the well when people get there.

When I walked with women and young girls to the wells, I was expecting to see them collecting water that was coloured with a brown tint and unappealing to drink. This was not the case. The water looked clean and ready to drink but I knew it was likely to make me sick.

The Water and Sanitation Club

We visited a village primary school in Dulalthok in Kavre District, which is over an hour away from Kathmandu.

Once at the school, we were greeted by a chorus of 'Namastes' (local greeting meaning hello) from a classroom of boys and girls aged from 5 to 12 years old. The majority of the children are from local farming families.

I spoke to two Water and Sanitation child club members, the President Apsara and General Secretary Nabiha both of whom are 11 years old.

The club was set up two years ago and it is the responsibility of its 25 members to teach their families and neighbours about water and sanitation issues. The child club members guided by Apsara and Nabiha teach other children in the school how to wash their hands properly. They are in charge of looking after the taps and toilets at the school as well as cleaning the classrooms.

In order to make sure that the children have clean water at school, UNICEF has installed taps and built toilets in the school grounds. This means that the children no longer have to walk for 15 minutes to the local water well.

Sankoshi River

At the Sankoshi River, Orlando saw for himself the many ways that the river gets contaminated - there were people taking their daily bath, washing their clothes and children swimming. There was a dead rat just a few yards away from where the women and girls were collecting water.

After seeing all the problems with the water in Nepal, it was difficult for me to see what the solution could be. Educating communities about boiling water before they drink it and showing parents how to treat their children when they get diarrhoea is all essential, but it does not offer them a long term solution.

A solution to the problem

At the top of a hill rests Kaaldhara village where thanks to UNICEF and its partners, villagers do not have a problem getting clean drinking water. There are numerous water points dotted around the village that children and their families can use.

We spoke to 30 year old Kumari, a mother with two young children. Her family are lucky to live by a tap, so they are able to get water when they need it.

Kumari said, "In the village that I used to live in with my parents, I had to walk for two hours to get water. Life is so much easier now. I don't have to worry about getting water for my family. I also know that it is safe to drink."

Orlando was also struck by the way the taps and water systems had made such a difference to people's lives.

He said, "It is crazy to think that because of the water that they are drinking, children are getting something as serious as diarrhoea."

"It is quite shocking that something that is so easy to treat in the UK is a potential killer for children in Nepal".

"At Kaaldhara village, I was able to see straight away the difference that having taps can make to a family's life. Water is something that we take for granted in the UK, but in some parts of Nepal people are struggling for something that is so basic and essential for life."

Thank you Sunstar for bringing over the UNICEF article. :hug:

Another example of how much Orlando cares about the world around him and wanting to make it a better place for all that live in it. :wub: I for one am very proud to be his fan. :throb:

Kim

And here are some pictures of Orlando in Nepal from UNICEF.

unicef_nepal_3.jpg

Orlando Bloom with 12 year old Rita who often carries 20 litres of water three or four times a day to her house, which is half a mile away. During the school holidays and when needed Rita collects water from the local well and helps their parent's with the daily chores. To get an idea of how difficult it was for Rita to carry the vessel, Orlando carried one with Rita as she walked to her house.

unicef_nepal_4.jpg

Orlando looks on while women and girls collect water by Sankoshi River. The river is the only source of water for the local community but it is contaminated. People by the river make an attempt to purify it by digging a hole and putting stones at the bottom, so that large bits of dirt can be filtered through. This only means that the water looks cleaner when actually it still contains harmful bacteria.

unicef_nepal_5.jpg

Orlando drinks water from the taps at Kaaldhara village where thanks to UNICEF and its partners, villagers do not have a problem getting clean drinking water. There are numerous water points dotted around the village that children and their families can use.

unicef_nepal_7_.jpg

Orlando collects water with local children at Kaaldhara village where thanks to UNICEF and its partners, villagers do not have a problem getting clean drinking water.

- UNICEF Nepal/2008/Shima Islam

:sigh:

Thanks, Sunstar, for the article and the pictures. Clean drinking water -- something we all take so much for granted. This has been such an eye-opener to me. Bless Orlando for his dedication to the needs of others.

Barbara

I am really impressed with Orlando and how he very quietly and unselfishly offers his help to others. He doesn't skirt around the problems he sees, but "mucks in" to get a true feeling of the situation. Way to go, Orlando, you make me proud!

Thank you, Sunstar, for the pictures and article.

:hug:

Charlie

To think that we only have to walk a few steps to get clean water and how much of the liquid we waste taking long baths, washing the dishes, doing the laundry or just washing our hands is really shocking. This world needs more people like Orlando, not just for the fact that he's trying to understand the problem but because he's helping to fix it.

Thanks for the pictures and articles.

Stardust. :wub:

I am really impressed with Orlando and how he very quietly and unselfishly offers his help to others. He doesn't skirt around the problems he sees, but "mucks in" to get a true feeling of the situation. Way to go, Orlando, you make me proud!
Perfectly said, Charlie!

Thanks, Jill and Sunstar for bringing these articles and pictures to us!

I am just so emotional and proud of Orlando right now, that is how much these pictures have moved me. :throb:

Thank you so much Sunstar for bringing these pictures over for us to see and thank you Orlando for being the wonderful person that you are. :hug:

Kim

Thank you Jill and Sunstar for the articles and pictures. It must have been so humbling for Orlando to see the conditions there, and to actually carry the basket of water. I'm thinking it was another life-changing trip for him, like the trip to Antarctica, and his first trip to Nepal.

Thank you for these pictures of inspiration. They make me so proud to support Orlando and his work to make this a better world.

Lori

Graciousness and humanitarianism defined? Orlando.

Thanks ladies for sharing the pics and the articles.

Jill and Sunstar thank you for the articles and the pictures. The only thing I can think of saying is that what he is doing is beautiful and really shows how his beauty comes from the inside out.

:heart:

I would like to donate but when I click on the Donate link the amount is in British Pounds Sterling - is there a place where I can donate for the Soccer Aid but is US dollars?

This world needs more people like Orlando, not just for the fact that he's trying to understand the problem but because he's helping to fix it.

Amen to that. :judges:

I wished there was also a video accompanied by this just like on his first trip. :sigh:

Thanks ladies!

Thank you HS and Sunstar for the articles and pictures. I can only echo others, he makes me so proud. He's out there making a difference. Go Orlando! :hug:

The second article is an additional treat, but I am absolutely thrilled that there are also some pictures! :shiny: I'm glad they took a few so we can get at least a glimpse of what Orlando saw and experienced while he was there. He has definitely been all over the globe in the past few months. It doesn't surprise me to see him using his time so well. I hope his plea for donations brings in a lot of money to UNICEF. Having clean water to drink and enough food to eat are basic human rights that all people on this planet should enjoy. :good:

Thanks for the article and the beautiful photos, Sunstar! :high5:

- Pam -

Thank you for the articles and pictures ladies! :flower: :flower: :flower:

Yet again Orlando and all you who have taken action or give a thought for this cause have returned my faith to the human kind. I have times when I think that we are all doomed because we are unable to care for each other but this just proves that there are good people on this earth, who are willing to do good things and to help each other. Thank you! :wub:

Anni

Thank you for the pictures and the articles. Beauty, Grace and humanity.what a package. He is awesome.

thank you again. I too would like to donate, any word on a link for Dollar donations?

Glenna

This is a very inspiring article,and so very Orlando that he has to muck - in and experience as well as see the situations.

Can you imagine any other super star even attempting to carry a basket of water ( any position).

I had leaflet from UNICEF last week about there christmas brochure (cards etc.) .

I only bought some bags for life, I think they are hessian, and made a donation,but will now add it to my list of regular

donations. As everyone says he keeps reminding us why we love him so much.

Tricia

At our local Hallmark Store they had UNICEF note cards so me and my Mom bought some and all proceeds go to UNICEF's programs. When I saw them I immediately thought of Orlando. :wub:

So this is one way we can help out. :flower:

Kim

Thanks Jill and Rene for the info and photos (which are in the Gallerie now - and, yes, one of these days I'll put the link back up!). I made my donation this morning.

Hopefully they'll make a video available soon, which will likely be shown during the event (the website does have videos from Soccer Aid 2006). I know that for him this is the positive side of 'celebrity', being able to bring issues to the public just by lending his name, in addition to genuinely wanting to help others.