mayfrayn

Fools Rush In

Thank you Jan for bringing this over! :hug: I agree this reviewer has definitely not read the book, that comment about Sarajevo makes me scratch my head over that one. :blink:

Well, I can't wait to see them start filming this movie! :)

Kim

Thank you for this info Jan. "Spend too much time in Sarajevo" ? Good Grief! Oh! but how I'd love to see Orlando in the role of Graeme.

I'm honestly not sure at this point. I'm kind of on the fence about it. Thanks for the link, Jan, so I could read the review.

Barbara

Wow. Someone missed out on thier early morning cup of java, didn't they? His over-all review is fairly positive but his tone through the whole thing is snarky, as if he's pissed off at having to review this script at all. His biggest beef seems to be that it doesn't have a title. Not surprising considering that it's still in development.

Strange man.

It is terribly obvious that the reviewer hasn't read the book. There are so many other stories that are entertwined with Bill's character that are more poignant than those mentioned.

I am going to be very interested to see who will be cast as Bill Carter. I do love the thought of Orlando with the orange cursing like a sailor.

I am holding my breath hoping this comes about.

U2 is touring this summer, and all through next year so I don't know how involved Bono is going to be with this. Last I heard, he was co-producing it. I hope that doesn't slow down the production.

It's an amazing book and I'm sure it will be an unforgettable movie.

Beth

Sounds like an interesting piece. I personally haven't read the book, but it sounds good. I hope it works out!

I haven't read the book, or the reviewed script, because I want to be surprised. If I went in 'prepared,' I'd be constantly comparing the finished film with what I had read, instead of letting the film grab me and take me where it wants to take me. My brain sometimes wrecks the experience for me.

If the film eventually gets made, without Orlando on the screen, I'll read the book. It sounds like an amazing tale!

I see that it is likely that Andrucha Waddington will be at Cannes with his film Lope. I hope that someone asks him about upcoming projects. :find:

I hope so, Patty. I really liked the book and would love to see it make it to the screen (preferably with Orlando, but regardless).

Thanks for the info, Patty and Jill.

brigitte :flower:

Making a film of the book Fools Rush In is still in the cards, at least according to this recent interview in The Washington Post, "Miss Sarajevo director/activist Bill Carter talks about how U2 changed his life:

<snip>In advance of the band's show at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore tonight, Carter, who wrote an unmissable autobiography on the subject ("Fools Rush In," soon to be made into a film) talked to Click Track about the experience. We've left the story in his own words, more or less.<snip>

I never thought I see this movie mentioned again so I am glad to know it is still in the works. And I assume Orlando is still involved because he was going to co-produce this project as well as act in it.

Thank you very much Jill for bringing over the link to Bill Carter's Interview. :hug:

Kim

U2 is reviving Miss Sarajevo on their current tour. Perhaps by bringing this situation from the back burner to the front, there might be interest and progress towards making the film; fingers crossed for all the IFs. Read all about it in the Chicago Sun-Times.

The May 26 arrest of accused war criminal Ratko Mladic, after 16 years on the run, brought back memories for Bill Carter — none of them cheerful."Pure evil," Carter said, describing the infamous Serbian general now on trial, accused of genocide during the Yugoslav Wars. "It's a big deal for him to finally be captured. … He killed a lot of people I knew."

<snip>

Now the song "Miss Sarajevo" reappears on U2's tour, which in April became the most successful tour of all time. Ticket sales for the 2009-11 jaunt are expected to surpass $700 million, besting the previous record held by the Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour, 2005-07, which grossed $554 million. (Tuesday's show, rescheduled from its original date of July 6, 2010, was one of several postponed last year after Bono suffered a back injury.) The performance now features footage from Carter's film, which he was able to finish in U2's Dublin studios.

"I'm not sure why they chose the song now," Carter said. "They pick songs extremely carefully. It's a unique song in their repertoire. It doesn't sound like anything else they do. … But it also has some resonance again. With the footage, people are asking questions again. What is that about? Whatever happened in Bosnia? If they ask, they get answers, and they learn, and maybe it helps in some weird way for something like this never to happen again."

All crossables are crossed to see this project come to completion.

Thank you for the news, Jill.