mayfrayn

140 posts in this topic

So far we have Orlando, Liam Neeson and Javier Bardem, who will be next? :hmmm: This is getting really exciting! :cheer2:

Kim

*ahem*

I wonder what Orlando's pal Leonardo DiCaprio is up to? :whistle:

I wonder, indeed, Cayenne!

Think on that if you will, my sistahs. Bardem, Bloom, DiCaprio and Neeson? In an indie film? Whoah!

I just hope I'm not going to have to drive 6 hours to see this movie on the big screen! My husband, bless him, took me to Phoenix (the closest place) to see Haven when it came out with the boy Bloom.

This is turning out to be much more exciting than I had even began to hope for. Great cast of actors thus far and an opportunity for Orlando to try his hand behind the camera again, and of course, the social statement for which he had expressed wanting his upcoming projects to do.

All I can say now is YEEHAAA!!! :yahoo:

I have a feeling this movie will have a wider release than Haven did, at least I hope so! I got lost the last time I went to Cambridge to see Haven! :blush: So I hope when the time comes this movie will open up closer to me like Revere or Danvers.

Well its definitely getting more exciting and I like your idea Cayenne about Leo! Maybe if we all wish hard enough it might just happen. :wink2:

Kim

I wonder what Orlando's pal Leonardo DiCaprio is up to? :whistle:
I believe Leo is soon to portray Lenin in an upcoming film. The likeness is said to be uncanny. I popped in imdb.com the other day and it seems that Leo has over a dozen projects going on in the next three years. I dearly would love to see Orlando and him doing a future project together.

But they didn't specify that Chico is in California, did they?

I know that the Chico (California!) paper is the Enterprise-Record - but if you look at the URL for the article, it's for Oroville news, which is about 3/4 of the way between where I live and Chico. Trust me, it's the California one. :wink2:

(Somehow, I doubt that Orlando would find Chico to be very exciting.)

I know it's California and you know it's California, but my point was meant to be that since the article didn't actually specify, others may not have known that important piece of information.

:hug:

Aliza

There is an interesting article about Orlando in the current issue of Bosnian magazine Azra.

Here it is a Google translation, very diffucult understanding!

Emotional departure from Sarajevo

Najzaslužniji for Bloomov arrival in Bosnia-Herzegovina by the American reditelj and writer Bill Carter .

20.08.2008. 21:26

Last week in Sarajevo he was Hollywood actor Orlando BLOOM. How are expected, the 31-ogodišnja movie star, born in England, which pamtimo cast by "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "The Lord of the Rings" has brought about great media attention.

We managed to briefly talk with him:

-- During these few days, as I am in Sarajevo, I felt welcome and open your heart. I am exceedingly grateful to you on that - said at the beginning.

Najzaslužniji for his arrival in Bosnia-Herzegovina by the American reditelj and writer Bill Carter, who is the 1993 war. and 1994. The opkoljenom spent in the city on Miljacki. During that period he filmed documentary "Miss Sarajevo" which was shown on MTV-in. List noble acts which he did in our country is long, but it is important that a proven friend of our country returned to Sarajevo.

Film story

Reminders work, Carterov film speaks about life and rock'n'rollu young urban population, and the hope and optimistic that despite the war were not iščezli. In the movie appear muzičari and many artists who were at that time worked under siege, such as group Sikter "and" protest ", then Vlado Kajević, Đani Pervan, Boris Siber, Vesna and Senad Zaimović, Selma and Lejla Pajević, and najzapaženijih one of the roles she had then dvanaestogodišnja Alma Čatal, which was "driving" burnt car and singing "Pump the Jam" objašnjavala to travel to the sea.

On the basis of dokumentarca war Sarajevo was Carterova book "Fools Rush In" according to which would be soon should begin to record and the same film in which would be but one of the main role, Orlando Bloom should be the executive producer.

Precisely because of preparations for the filming of the movie stories, their visits Sarajevo was working. Sedmočlana team of film experts, including except Blooma and Carter were reditelj and Brazilian Andrucha Waddington and Hollywood producer Elliot Lewit visited the sarajevskih several locations where the film would be recorded, but also carried out significant talks with Gavrilom Grahovcem, Federal Minister of Culture and Sport, but also gradonačelnicom Sarajevo Semihom Borovac, who have promised financial and organizational support for the filming.

Borovac and announced that it will propose to declare Carter honorary citizen of Sarajevo and BiH to gain citizenship to which he is, he says, very care.

On the team is now to take a final decision on the selection of locations for filming.

-- I have read the scenario, and this story about the war period, seen from the perspective of Billove, deal me dotakla. I was clear in his very marrow. I hope that God will be with us and that we just record a movie in Sarajevo.

This is a completely different role than all that I have played in the Hollywoodu. The film is the specific and I in him, I will not play Bill, but his friend - said to us is Orlando.

This 31-ogodišnji actor, who besides glumačkog has a gift for writing poetry, he said, and that he was sincerely hope that in Sarajevo will again be the latest by the end of the year.

Transfer impression on glumcu based only spent a short time would be nodding. About him we were much more able to say Vesna Zaimović Andrea, who with his wife Senada was hostess film team in Sarajevo.

-- When we Bill Carter sent mail in which to announce your arrival and sedmočlane film teams in Sarajevo, bezrezervno we invite them all to dinner and promised help, not knowing that the team is a Hollywood actor - for us it was enough to be working about Billovim associates. However, when we understood of whom are working, that's the only amplifier our intention to do everything to these people decided that most of the film shoot in our country.

We estimate that the best that their stay in Sarajevo begins on the evening which will introduce players dokumentarca and books. Upriličena was in the restaurant "Global Food," a relaxed atmosphere and srdačnoj. Orlando is very simple, modest and retiring, interested in the situation in our country, the war . During meetings with him, we ga mistreated questions about his career, but we talked about the ordinary things of life. Over dokumentarca books and knew who the people that live and even seen. Among them was Ćatal and Alma, which in a Documentary dvanaestogodišnja as a little girl is one of the najzapaženijih impressions. After dinner, we all are excellent zabavili in the club "Hacijenda" - ispričala we Vesna.

On Monday was followed by another dinner whose hosts were a couple Abdurahmanović, during which guests met some film professionals from Bosnia-Herzegovina, and kušali special Bosnian specialties.

-- Mirela Abdurahmanović and I at first we were in panic, because we are only about 16 hours to learn that evening team coming to visit. But we snašle - something we have arrived to prepare itself, and some dishes we naručile from aščinice. The guests were delighted food and hercegovačkom Žilavkom.

Husband and I know Bill Carter 15 years. And then in the war, but now the satisfaction sarađivati with him. His facial expression says as his intentions are pure, sincere and noble.

He is directly responsible as a group of "U2" during his tour direct links povezivala war-affected Sarajevo with the rest of the world, and what is uvrstila Sarajevo in his next tour, "Pop Mart" održanu 1997. year.

BH Capital city until then was a prime issue, but running dokumentarca "Miss Sarajevo" on MTV-in, the situation in our town started to touch and youngest populations in the world, which began to sympathize with the young people from Bosnia-Herzegovina. Because of its merits We launched an initiative to Carteru dodijeli BH honorary citizenship - says Vesna us.

On Wednesday, is the star of "Pirata of the Caribbean", a film soon, and stories about the war Sarajevo, left the capital city of BiH. The departure from the Sarajevo airport was emotional and there is no doubt that Bloom will soon come again in our country.

The rest of the article has been ix-nayed, due to its discussion of his personal life. ~rebecca

The text is taken from the magazine "Azra" .

http://www.dnevniavaz.ba/showbiz/crveni-te.zak-iz-sarajeva

orlando-bloom19.jpg

Edited by rebecca

Thank you Mayfrayn! :cheer2:

Though a bit tough to read at times, it corresponds to what I read in Bill Carter's book. Several of the people mentioned in the article play large roles in the book-and presumably in the movie. I have a strong suspicion which character will be played by Orlando.

This book is a must read, in my opinion. It is so well written, so compelling I actually forgot Orlando was involved by the second chapter. It's only available in trade paperback, and thus is a bit pricy, but well worth it.

I got mine through my local Waldenbooks.

Do be warned, if you read it, you'll never look at food, showers or cars the same way again. I can understand completely why Orlando wants to be part of this. And I am so very proud of him! :iheart:

Beth

An interesting interview with Bill Carter:

From Sarajevo to Hollywood: Life Under Siege

Bill Carter, an American, didn't know much about the war in Bosnia, but somehow he ended up in Sarajevo, the city under siege for almost four years. Liam Neeson and Orlando Bloom are to play lead roles in his film about his experiences there. By Peter Popham

Monday, 1 September 2008

Bill Carter was a confirmed American drifter and when his girlfriend Corinna died in a car crash, his response to the pain was to go back on the road. He had already covered a lot of ground in his life, from China to the Amazon. The difference now was that he had this grief to cart around, and he couldn't find a place to put it down. "I travelled to Trinidad and stayed there for a year, I went to Venezuela and Colombia, I was in a spin for a year and a half and I didn't know how to get back to earth," he says.

This was the early 1990s and the war in Bosnia had just broken out. Carter didn't know or care much about that; he was not looking for a mission or a job or any of the meat-and-potatoes ways we try to make sense of our lives. But he had a very good friend in Split, the city in Croatia, who was working for a humanitarian relief organization there "and I thought it was a good thing to do". So that was where he directed his steps next. Once in Split one thing led to another, and he found himself in the besieged city of Sarajevo. He didn't know Radovan Karadzic from a hole in the wall but he stayed.

His life and strange times in Sarajevo – how he wound up there, what he found and how, via satellite links to U2's European concerts, he brought the horror of the siege to hundreds of thousands of rock fans – is to be the subject of a new feature film, directed by Andrucha Waddington, the Brazilian of The House of Sand fame, and starring Orlando Bloom (who is also a producer) and Liam Neeson.

Carter himself is writing the script, based on his 2004 book, Fools Rush In, itself the product of his frustration at failing, over 10 years, to get a film on his experiences in Sarajevo kick-started. "I couldn't put it all together, I couldn't get money, I couldn't get actors," he said. "Eventually I said – it's not going to work, I'm gonna write a book."

But now, with Radovan Karadzic gazing balefully at his accusers in the Hague, and East-West history suddenly going into reverse, perhaps the time is ripe to examine how the West allowed something as hideous as the siege of Sarajevo – it lasted from April 1992 to February 1996, leaving 12,000 people dead and 50,000 wounded – to happen, in the most civilised city in the south Balkans.

"I read the script and the very human story at the very core of this film spoke to me very clearly," said Bloom on a recent trip to Sarajevo. The star of Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings spoke of his departure from the Hollywood blockbuster triology formula, and his hopes for a local flavour. "We would very much like to make the film here," he said. "To come here and shoot would be just wonderful."

When Carter landed in the Balkans – in Split – he tried to get a job, any job, with one of the aid agencies but failed miserably. Then one day at a UN security briefing he ran into an Englishman called Graeme Bint. "The briefing was full of professionals from the NGOs asking questions about the war," Carter says. "And then I spotted this freak with spiked orange hair, earrings and a bomber jacket. We got talking, about how I had landed here for no particular reason and then about his humanitarian circus, called the Serious Road Trip."

Bint was with a group of English guys who had decided that "what they were doing with their lives was worth giving up for something bigger", and who had ended up running lorries loaded with tons of food into starving Sarajevo. Carter began working with them. "I liked Bill from the outset," says Bint. "He seemed ill prepared, which suited our ad hoc organisation. He seemed to have no reason for being in Bosnia, but this didn't trouble me: for many people, especially aid workers, you enter a war zone first, then find the reason . Our friendship strengthened the more we kept nearly getting killed together. I realised Bill had a driving force behind him, but I didn't know just what. But it was strong, it had to be, as one doesn't take such immense risks without one."

"I didn't know what was going on," says Carter. "It's only a one-hour drive from Split to Sarajevo, but I had no idea what that drive was going to be like." That's what Yugoslavia was like in the early 1990s for anyone blundering into the war zones. Four decades of peace, and the postcard-pretty south Balkan countryside, were no preparation for the realities of these pitiless civil wars, fuelled by all the region's long-buried grudges – buildings pulverised by artillery, snipers haunting the rooftops, and towns evacuated by all but the decrepit and the crazy.

But, as Graeme Bint noticed, Carter had found what he was after. He and his girlfriend had agreed, Carter says, that whatever happened they would never commit suicide; but after her death he considered himself free "to push it all the way to the edge. If I die and it's nature's mistake, then I win."

A grievous loss can lead to fearlessness, because the worst has already happened. "There have been times," Carter told an interviewer for U2's website, "when people threatened my life, and my natural reaction was, 'OK, go ahead.' I get very relaxed. The more [danger] gets closer, the more I calm way down . which is a bit weird."

Being in the war zone, he said, "did help heal me. You're in a city of grief, which gives you in many weird ways great comfort." But he was still a tourist in Sarajevo, and an ignorant tourist at that: as was brought home when a local said: "You come all the way from America and you don't know who Karadzic is?" But something told him to stay, to dig himself in. "I got hold of a video camera and began shooting what was happening, I forged documents and got a press pass." This was the spring and summer of 1993, some of the worst months of the entire siege. And then he made friends with two people who were his ticket to the inside of the city.

"They were two sisters, aged 17 and 18, they lived on the other side of Sniper Alley, and they took me into their home," he says. "They took me in, and they were fun and smart, their parents were great, they had pride, and being funny was to do with their pride. They only had a couple of crumbs to eat but they shared it with me and they acted as if it was a real feast." Through the sisters Carter finally learnt what sort of a city he was in: they introduced him to their friends, who were poets, musicians, surrealist artists, "all with this very black Sarajevo humour. I got very involved with my friends. You'd be having a cup of tea with these people and talking about Frank Zappa and King Crimson, and outside the window someone is throwing himself off the top of a building because the war has got to him . It was really surreal."

Then one day Carter caught U2 talking on MTV about their upcoming Zoo TV Tour of Europe and the concept behind it, which was the idea of a united Europe. That spurred "a little bit of anger", he says, because Sarajevo under siege was the most blatant proof you could find of Europe disunited. He faxed a reality check to U2's management in Dublin, suggesting a chat with Bono about what was happening in his corner of Europe. Bono agreed, and what Carter said reduced Bono to tears. He wanted to fly with the band to Sarajevo at once to play there. It was out of the question, of course, because of the danger. Instead the band agreed to punctuate every date on their European tour with satellite links to people of Sarajevo – hand-picked by Bill Carter – to tell U2's fans the way it was.

And that's what happened. It didn't stop the siege – indeed finally the abuse of politicians and media descended on U2's head for the initiative. But people who knew nothing and cared less about Sarajevo got a bit of a jolt. When the band played Wembley Stadium in August 1993, a Bosnian woman told the crowd over the satellite link: "I am glad you are listening to wonderful music. You should enjoy yourselves. But I want to ask one question: what are you going to do? Excuse me but, I think, nothing."

It was to be another two years before Nato bombing forced the Serbs to lift the siege.

An amazing guy. I'm really glad Orlando has taken this on. Is he to be the "freak with spiked orange hair"? I just started reading the book and I think the role of Graeme would be fantastic for him.

Oh that is such a good book!

Whenever I think of Graeme, I picture Sebastian Copeland. :teehee:

No, I think Orlando's role is going to be young Vlado, but I could be way off.

I keep wishing I could give this book to everyone I know. It's changed the way I think about everything-food, clothing, comfort, even showers. I can't imagine the impact this film will have.

Way to GO ORLANDO!

Beth

Thank you so much Jules for bringing this article over. :hug: I also wonder if Graeme is the part Orlando will be playing, he sounds like he would be a great one for him to play and now I am trying to picture him with orange hair. :hmmm: But whether its Graeme or Vlado, I know whatever role he plays he will blow me away with another outstanding performance. I am also proud of Orlando for wanting to bring this important story to the big screen and I can't think of anyone else that would do this the right way than Orlando. I am also excited to know that Liam Neeson will also be in this! :cheer2:

Kim

Liam and Javier are now on? :w00t: That is so great! The mroe that I read about this project the more excited I get! Thank you to who have posted article and other info!

Is he to be the "freak with spiked orange hair"? I just started reading the book and I think the role of Graeme would be fantastic for him.

Couldn't agree more. The moment I was introduced to Graeme, I already felt it's the only character in the book I could totally see him play. :punk: Graeme is more than a best friend to Bill and he's an integral part of the story.

On a lighter note. Well if he could pull off a blonde hair, why not orange? :teehee:

Tonight on the local news they were reporting on the Screen Actors Guild saying they will most likely be striking soon and when I heard this I immediately thought of Orlando and his projects, in particular this one because I know Orlando was hoping to start filming by the end of the year so that is why I decided to post this here. I am wondering since The Fools Rush project is an independent movie and not a studio movie and it will also be filmed in Sarajevo and not in Hollywood will it be affected at all by this pending strike? Well I am hoping and praying this strike does not happen and Orlando gets to do this project without any interruptions.

Kim

There's a mention of the timing of the film in Team Dreams of Sarajevo, an article in the Daily Record News in Washington State about a young lady who expects to go to Sarajevo as an intern/gofer working on Andrucha Waddington's next film. It looks like it's still on, SAG strike or not.

<snip>A 17-year-old Upper County student with dreams of a career in filmmaking hopes to head to Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina at the end of this month to spend four to five months working as an intern on a movie.<snip>
She has to raise $7000 for her travel and living expenses:

Expedited passport $150

Warm winter clothing $500

Ticket to Bosnia $900

Opportunity to bring Orlando Bloom coffee Priceless!

Thank you so much Jill for the information! :hug: I like the part about the end of this month. I would also give anything to be in her shoes. Maybe Orlando is looking for more help, like someone that can work the computer for him. :whistle:

Kim :shiny:

Ooh, I hope the possible SAG strike doesn't hurt this movie's chances of being made. :angry: Haven't the actors paid attention to the fallout from the writer's strike(Although I guess that strike affected television shows more than movies).?

Expedited passport $150

Warm winter clothing $500

Ticket to Bosnia $900

Opportunity to bring Orlando Bloom cofee Priceless!

:hellyeah: Good one Hey Sailor. That is one lucky intern. Your comment reminds me of Joan Cusack's classic line in Working Girl: "Can I get you anything? Coffee, tea, me?" :lol:

Hey, maybe if we help her raise the money, she'll give us tidbits about the production. Just kidding. :whistle:

Geri,

I was thinking along the same lines. She obviously is a serious film student and deserves help.

I was totally blown away by Carter's book. If this film fulfills its potential it's going to be huge. It'd be great to help her get involved.

Be kind of fun for ka-Bloom to help sponsor her.

Beth

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw this bit of information. I'm so excited to see that plans are truly in the works for this project. Please, please, please let this one happen for Orlando. Interesting idea to support the young intern. :hmmm: Maybe we could be shareholders. :high5:

In previous strikes, it did not affect independent or overseas (outside the U.S.) productions. They're going for the 'big money' from major U.S. studios.

We shall see.

Thank you Jan for answering my question and it kind of makes me feel better about Orlando's projects not being affected too much by whatever the SAG does. But like you said we shall see.

Kim