Jan

101 posts in this topic

Thanks for this, Sunstar! What a fabulous review! Awesome work, Sam.

Here's a really nice interview with Sam:

Sam's Mand for the Job

Published Date: 15 August 2008

By LIAM RUDDEN

DOES Samantha Bloom's one-woman show have the longest title on the 2008 Festival? Possibly.

However, the elfin-like actress can certainly boast employing the services of the most famous publicist in the history of the Fringe – little brother and Hollywood star, Orlando Bloom.

The 32-year-old breaks into a huge smile as she recalls the stunned looks on the faces of passers by as Legolas from The Lord of the Rings attempted to persuade them to see a performance of A Cloud In Trousers Performed By A Girl In A Suit.

"Poor Orlando, he had no choice in that. I literally stuffed a load of fliers in his hand, got him to sign them and then hand them out. He was slightly bemused by the whole thing," she laughs.

Having a famous brother certainly helped raise the profile of Bloom's show. Just as well because, as the actress is first to admit, she didn't decide to bring her production to Edinburgh until the very last minute.

She explains, "I never want to be one of those people who have regrets in life, that's the reason I finally decided to come to Edinburgh. It was a tough decision and one I made very late.

"Everybody else had booked in and was up and running and I was scrabbling around looking for someone to print my fliers with just a week to go."

Luckily for Bloom the Underbelly had a cancellation and, one sleepless week and a few phone calls later she had a venue.

"Someone pulled out so it's worked out well," she says. "And I absolutely love it up here, I can't believe I've never been before."

A Cloud In Trousers Performed By A Girl In A Suit is based on the words of Russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky who, having been disillusioned by his travels and unlucky in love (he fell in love with the wife of his publisher), committed suicide at the age of 36, in 1938.

The piece, which fuses music, poetry and trans-vestism (Bloom plays a man), is the story of a jilted lover awaiting the arrival of his beloved. As he waits he rehearses the confrontation he wishes to have, preparing the words to express his inner-most self.

"I've always been a fan of Russian poetry and literature," says Bloom, defending her choice of material. "Also I was interested in looking at the emotional journey from a male perspective.

"I wanted the freedom to discover different ways of being, other than through the calm side of being a woman. I wanted to do something more earthy, and when Anna Ostergren introduced me to Mayakovsky's writing I thought it was just gorgeous. The imagery was so fine but had a really strong narrative. That is what drew me to the piece."

Unlike her brother, it wasn't until her mid-20s that Bloom decided she wanted to act, starting drama school at the relatively late age of 26.

"I'd thought about it before but had always been pushed towards university," she explains.

"I did all of that and got offered a job almost immediately, in production, and enjoyed that for a bit. But it wasn't really what captivated my heart.

"I then realised that I really wanted to act, it just took me a couple of years to get the balls to put that into action Actually, as I applied to drama school, Orlando was leaving and got Lord of the Rings."

So did her little brother encourage her to share his career choice?

"I didn't discuss it with anyone because it was a really personal decision," she says. "As something that was quite close to my heart, it was a decision I had to make by myself without any outside influences.

"It wasn't until I left drama school and got out of that bubble that I realised I might be compared to my brother. We are very different in our ways and I'm never going to be competing with him for parts."

With a laugh she adds, "I don't really want to make a habit of playing men, especially in one-woman shows."

While on the subject of her sibling, Bloom reveals that the star has been incredibly encouraging of her first foray onto the Fringe.

"Orlando loved the show. He saw it in London and was really supportive of me coming here. He would love to be able to do something like this and we talked about how maybe one day he'll come and play Edinburgh, but it's hard in his position."

That said, a high profile didn't prevent that other Hollywood name Christian Slater performing on the Fringe in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest a few years back.

"Is this where that production started?" she asks, open-mouthed. "I had no idea. I'll cite that to Orlando."

So what might Orlando play if he ever did head north for August? Well, sister Sam has an idea. "We've never worked together on stage and I would love to do Twelfth Night. My ideal role would be Viola and if Orlando ever wanted to do it with me, that would be fun."

However, while Bloom is enjoying her Fringe debut, the recent happenings in Georgia have suddenly given her show a new poignancy.

Mayakovsky, who was born in Bagdadi, Georgia, in 1893 was repeatedly jailed for subversive activity and began writing his poetry during a spell in solitary confinement in 1909.

"As I get on stage each day to share the journey of a man's broken heart through the inner workings of his mind during a punishing political climate, I can't help but draw comparisons with what is currently happening to the people of Georgia.

"Mayakovsky, a passionate political beast, would no doubt have been heavily involved in fighting for the freedom of a country suffering for the natural resources of their land."

• A Cloud In Trousers Performed By A Girl In a Suit, Underbelly, White Belly, Cowgate, now extended until August 24, 2pm, £7.50-£8.50, 0844-545 8252

It would be great to see them both on stage together!

Thank you for the interview! She seems like a great lady. I'm really happy for her - what a wonderful review of her performance too. :2thumbs:

I missed the bit about Sidi coming with Orlando until now. How cute! :teehee:

Thanks, Jules. I think it would be great to see them together on stage too.

Here's a small picture of Orlando and Samantha from the Evening News website.

en_guide.jpg

Nice picture! Thanks, Sunstar.

Jules, thanks for the interview. I love that big sister Sam put her little brother to work. :lol:

Jules, thanks for providing that most interesting interview. What a great picture of Orlando and Sam! An absolute treasure. Thanks, Sunstar.

Barbara

Thanks for bringing this interview over, Jules. I love that they're still just brother and sister and so at ease. I couldn't help but wonder if Sidi running up on stage might have been a little brotherly payback for being put to work by big sister. :lmao2: But seriously, I know he wouldn't do anything to spoil his sister's big moment.

That is a great picture of Orlando & Sam! I love it! :iheart:

I also loved the interview and how Sam put Orlando to work like that. :lol: I think it would be great to see them do something together, whether its on stage or in a movie. :)

Thank you so much Sunstar and Jules for the great picture and article! :hug:

Kim

Thanks Jules, it's a great article. I love the way Samantha put Orlando to work, no sense in having the man stand around idle, eh? :teehee:

Sunstar,thank you for the pic. They look good together.

Great article! It's the fate of the little brother to be put to work by the big sister :teehee:

The piccie is just lovely! "A girl in a suit and a man with a feather boa!" :)

Thanks Jules and Sunstar for bringing it to us.

Raven

Great interview and photo. I've always been interested in Russian literature, so I find the concept of Sam's play fascinating. I wish I could see it in person. She seems just as down to earth as Orlando, and I admire her for making an unusual choice and going her own way with her career. I also admire her for pressing her little brother into service for the sake of her art. :teehee: I wish her much success--not in competition with her brother or any other actor--but in whatever way she defines it for herself.

Thanks Jules and Sunstar!

Nice to be able to rely on family, isn't it :teehee: But I bet she would have had quite a good audience without little Bro. The play sounds very.interesting. Not sure whether I would have liked it much, but definetely a talking point.

Well done, Sam!

Napasha

Nice to be able to rely on family, isn't it :teehee: But I bet she would have had quite a good audience without little Bro. The play sounds very.interesting. Not sure whether I would have liked it much, but definetely a talking point.

Well done, Sam!

Napasha

Thanks girls, this is cool. I thought it was really funny when I read that Sam had got Orlando handing out fliers. Goes to show that cheeky streak runs in the family. :myuah: I hope the play does well for her.

Thank you, mayfrayn.

Be prepared to turn your volume up and down, as the soprano singing at the very beginning and throughout the video is very loud. Sam's bit starts at the 2:12 mark.

Thank you, Mayfrayn, for the link to Sam.

I wish I had read your post, CaliMom, before I went to the link. I turned up my volume and almost fell out of my chair at the soprano. :teehee: That will teach me!

:hug:

Charlie

Thank you Mayfrayn for the link to Sam. I loved it. Also, I loved the bit about the spit. At least that's what I think she said.

And thank you CaliMom for the volume warning. Very helpful, though she kept coming back.

Aliza

Thanks for the links, mayfrayn.

Thank you, Jan, for the much more better downloaded file and video without the loud :O soprano and the (sort of) funny girl in a hood. :blink: I've seen both versions now and yours is much better. Ouch my ears! :lol:

- Pam -

There is a review of A Cloud In Trousers from The Independent:

Reviewed by Lynne Walker

Friday, 22 August 2008

A slight figure, face whitened, carrying a suitcase, saunters onto the small stage. This is A Girl in a Suit, as Samantha Bloom (sister of Orlando) describes her one-woman company. Her show is a monologue – a lyrical adaptation of words by the Russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky.

Though popular in the early cultural climate of the Soviet Union, Mayakovsky became disillusioned with Stalin's regime and – after several complicated love affairs and having been castigated for his efforts as a propagandisti agitator – he committed suicide in 1930.

In this tale, in which Bloom plays a man in a suit, a jilted lover bares his innermost soul as he rehearses the showdown he intends to have. We glimpse his bumpy path through a lifetime of unsatisfactory affairs and relationships, touching on art, religion and revolution, in his search for happiness.

Striking a mannish pose with a chair, Bloom just about carries off the creation of characters from thin air. The cellist had to withdraw for personal reasons, mid-run, and one can imagine the soulful string accompaniment that would have added another dimension to the spoken text.

But the gamine Bloom manages to convey this emotional journey, seen from a male perspective, with sensitivity, while touching on borders of mental and emotional extremity tempered with some dark humour.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai.rgh-905254.html

Well, I consider the Independent review as very positive. I'm pleased to see even a tiny bit of Sam's work (thanks for the link to youtube, ladies) and hope to see her live on stage in the future.

You go, Sam! :cheer2: