Jan

101 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for the scans and the link. I love the support the Bloom family has for each other.

Debbi

Thank you Serendipity for the link. What a great picture of the two. :)

Sunstar, thanks for scans as well. That is also a good picture of the two and the flyer looks great.

:grouphug: Thanks again!

Great to see them together! She looks lovely and that's so awesome. I can imagine how proud Orlando is!

For posterity - the article from the BBC, with the photo.

Family affairs Bloom at festival

Pauline McLean

BBC Scotland arts correspondent

Edinburgh_ChildrenOfCambodia_BBC080108.j

Samantha Bloom (left) next to Orlando Bloom. They are behind Alan Cox and Toby Gough

Like most showbusiness events, the Fringe has always been a family affair, both offstage and on.

So it was not a surprise to see members of two acting dynasties together in one venue.

Samantha Bloom is appearing in A Cloud in Trousers at the White Belly, which is based on a selection of writing by the Russian poet Maykovsky.

Brother Orlando Bloom - in town for the opening of the Tracey Emin exhibition - came along to the show's first night with pet dog Sidi, who gatecrashed the stage (neither Bloom seemed fazed by the interuptions and the show went on).

But the Blooms are not the only acting family involved with the show.

It is directed by Alan Cox, son of actor Brian - who starred with Orlando in the film Troy.

As well as throwing his weight behind the show, he is also patron of the new venue, World at St George's West, which features music and dance from Africa, Cuba, Brazil and Cambodia.

So Blooms and Coxes set off for the venue to see the Children of Cambodia show - and happily posed for photos outside.

Not to be out-done, the performers from Capoeira Knights: Warriors of Brazil decided to get in on the act.

Alan Cox takes up the tale.

"After the show spilled out onto the pavement outside, we met the Brazilian Capoeira boys.

"Toby Gough - the venue promoter - said "do a flip" to one of them.

"They cleared the pavement, one of the guys kicked off his flip flops and flick flacked down the road.

"He went over to Orlando and said 'You have a good energy so I am going to do something else'.

"Whereupon he did a flip and spun in the air like a diver landing softly on his feet on the concrete ...Amazing."

I also grabbed a photo and 'map' for the White Belly venue. (Hey, news is slow these days! :lol: )

Edinburgh_UnderbellyMap.jpg

Edinburgh_WhiteBelly.jpg

Thank you Jan for the pictures and the article! :hug: That is a small theater but more personable for the performers and the audience.

I also love that picture of Orlando & Sam, I definitely can tell they are siblings, they both have that same laugh and smile, I also think its great to see them hanging out together! :iheart:

Kim

Thanks, Jan, for the article and picture, and the map. Any and all Orlando news is much appreciated. Lovely to see Sam front and center as well.

Barbara

Thanks for bringing the article and lovely pic. over, Jan. The map of the venue made me smile too - belly laughs here! :lol:

I'm getting confused on who brought over what :blink: , but I wanted to say that I appreciate it. Any news about Orlando is good news to me. :2thumbs: I love seeing him with his big sister and being so supportive of her and her work. Just the thought of it makes me miss my own brother. :blow:

Anyway, thanks Jan, Sunstar, Serendipity, and everyone else for the news, links and piccies! :yahoo:

- Pam -

Oh!. What a good brother he is and look how beautiful his face looks with that new haircut. I like to see him so relaxed, he's just amazing.

Thanks for the scan and the info. I really need him to start that movie already!

Stardust. :teehee:

I've come late to all this wonderful Orlando news. It's so good to see him with Samantha, and watch her perform (though surely only Orlando would take his dog to see a play!) And hand out the flyers! BTW, that is a beautifully intimate little Theatre, just right for the Play. Break a leg, Samantha.

Thank you Jules, Sunstar, Jan, Serendipity, and all our enablers, for bringing us this news and the pics., it is very much appreciated. :hug:

Here's a press release from girlinasuit.

A Cloud in Trousers

A jilted lover awaits the arrival of his beloved, rehearsing the confrontation he wishes to have, preparing the words he wishes to express his inmost self. This man with a record of past loves, cloyed by streetwalkers and squalor reaches for an elusive future in the heart of love’s content. Despite setbacks and frustrations, he senses that perhaps the motions of the soul can lead to reconciliation.

This mesmeric piece fuses music, poetry and transvestism, exploring and playing on the pains of a broken heart with dark resonance and surreal humour. How is it that this early 20th Century Russian poet can speak so directly to our confused souls in the early 21st?

If Mayakovsky were alive today he might have told his tale of love, passion and rebuttal to a seemingly ‘sympathetic’ tabloid journalist only to find his emotional pain exploited to fill column inches. But this futurist revolutionary left us a legacy of exquisite poetry that spits earth and beauty in equal measure in this autobiographical tale of a man’s heart broken.

A Girl In A Suit

Samantha Bloom is "The Girl In A Suit", eliciting the tremors of timeless recognition that connect us to words written by a Russian poet who died in 1938. Mayakovsky committed suicide at the age of 36, disappointed in love, increasingly alienated from Soviet reality, and denied a visa to travel abroad. His words coming back to vibrant life now journey to Edinburgh.

And a link to some comments/reviews.

Thank-you, Sunstar, for the press release and the link to the show's site. :flower: The more I read about it, the better this show sounds. And congratulations to Sam. :clap:

Thank you, Sunstar, for the link and the press release. It sounds like Samantha's performance was mesmerizing. I am so happy for her.

Barbara

I have been at the beach and am just now getting to read this thread through. It does sound like Sam was great, as we knew she would be. I got to sit behind her in In Celebration, she really is sweet and pretty. I love the picture of Orlando and Sam and the mental image of lovable, wriggly Sidi on stage. I really like the new haircut, he looks so young and relaxed! But I miss the curls.

Thanks, Sunstar, for the link to the reviews and comments. It sounds like everyone was quite impressed with her performance.

Thanks for the link and info, Sunstar. I'm glad she's getting a good reception.

Here's a link to part I of A Cloud in Trousers. It sounds beautiful, stunning and very difficult to stage.

Wish I could see it.

Aliza

Thank you everyone for posting this news! I'm so happy for Samantha; the reviews are simply sparkling!

It's interesting about the English Chamber Orchestra's Close Encounters program she's involved in, as well. Such generous hearts, these Blooms!

I'm excited that she's working on her first script, as well!

Here's a review by Tina Jackson at Metro. :)

A Cloud In Trousers is intimately brought to life

It takes an actor of exceptional abilities to convey and make convincing such intense work as A Cloud In Trousers, an account of sexual obsession written by Georgia-born Bolshevik poet Vladimir Mayakovsky in 1915.

In this mesmerising show Samantha Bloom delivers just such an impassioned performance. Dressed in a stylishly skew-whiff gentleman's outfit, she brings to life every nuance in the richly textured poem, giving it her all. Bloom is a theatrical, gestural actor, unafraid of becoming larger than life in the service of a poem about heightened experience.

The sorrow of a doomed love affair, with its trajectory from grand passion to drowning sorrows in a lake of vodka, is given a tragic edge as Bloom vividly conveys the agony and ecstasy of love. A red frock on a coat stand takes the place of the beloved. As Bloom caresses it with increasing delirium, it stands in as the imaginary partner in a heated physical relationship. The sense of intimacy is extraordinary.

Directed by Alan Cox, Bloom is partnered on stage by cellist Alfia Nakipbekova, who adds to the fraught atmosphere of the piece not just with her beautifully fractured fragments of sound, but by appearing to be the recipient of Bloom's confessions.

Thanks, Rene, I was hoping we'd see a review. Sounds like quite a triumph for her.

(And I'm so glad to see that they didn't even mention Orlando!)

Oh, well done, Sam. :clap: This sounds like very brave and intense work from all involved. And I agree, Jan. Glad to see a review of her and her work. Thank-you for sharing this, Sunstar.