Jan

101 posts in this topic

LoriV has passed along word that Sam will be performing in the play "A Cloud in Trousers (Performed by A Girl in a Suit)" at this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The play runs from this Thursday, July 31 through August 25.

The information I could find on what I assume is the same play (via Google) is that it's based on a classic Russian poem by Vladimir Mayakovsky - probably the best information is in this review from a 2004 performance in Oxford.

Ticket information is here, and the tickets are only £8.50 (£5.00 the first two afternoons, which I assume are considered 'previews'), for a 40-minute play.

Hope someone *coughRenecough* can make it to the play and report back!

How exciting! Good luck to Sam. I'm sure her little brother is very proud of her.

Thanks for the info, Jan and LoriV.

Good luck to Sam. I used to spend a lot of time in Edinburgh and remember those heady days when the festival was running. I'm sure Sam will do really well.

That is great news about Sam! :cheer2: Yes, I quite sure Orlando must be very happy for his big sister and I won't be surprised if he goes to see her! :iheart:

Also, Edinburgh holds a special place in my heart because I am part Scottish and this is where my ancestor was born. I also often wish I could go there some day and visit. :wub:

Thank you Jan and LoriV for letting us know. :hug:

Kim

Oh my God! Mayakovsky? She is performing a Mayakovsky poem! <Whistles> Go girl! If anyone sees it, I would love to hear an account ladies! Thanks for the news, Jan.

Thanks for the info, Jan and Lori. :)

Good luck to Sam. I'd like to see her in the play so I'll try to get tickets.

How very cool!

I'll add my well-wishes to Sam, and thanks to LoriV and Jan.

I, too, hope one of our ka-bloomies can make it and report back to us on how great it was. :shiny:

Thanks for the heads up, LoriV and Jan. Sam, you go girl. Break a leg.

There is now a cute picture of Sam up at the Underbelly site. It looked distorted as it was displayed there, so I tried adjusting the proportions. Love the hat! :iheart:

20080803sbloomru4.jpg

Thanks for the picture (poster?), Patty. I hope she impresses the audiences with her interpretation of the poem. I'm anxious to read the reviews from both critics and fans.

I found the poem at this site. I'll quote the translation here.

Vladimir Mayakovsky

A Cloud in Trousers [Part 1]

You think malaria makes me delirious?

It happened.

In Odessa it happened.

"I'll come at four," Maria promised.

Eight.

Nine.

Ten.

Then the evening

turned its back on the windows

and plunged into grim night,

scowling

Decemberish.

At my decrepit back

the candelabras guffawed and whinnied.

You would not recognise me now:

a bulging bulk of sinews,

groaning,

and writhing,

What can such a clod desire?

Though a clod, many things!

The self does not care

whether one is cast of bronze

or the heart has an iron lining.

At night the self only desires

to steep its clangour in softness,

in woman.

And thus,

enormous,

I stood hunched by the window,

and my brow melted the glass.

What will it be: love or no-love?

And what kind of love:

big or minute?

How could a body like this have a big love?

It should be teeny-weeny,

humble, little love;

a love that shies at the hooting of cars,

that adores the bells of horse-trams.

Again and again

nuzzling against the rain,

my face pressed against its pitted face,

I wait,

splashed by the city's thundering surf.

Then midnight, amok with a knife,

caught up,

cut him down –

out with him!

The stroke of twelve fell

like a head from a block.

On the windowpanes, grey raindrops

howled together,

piling on a grimace

as though the gargoyles

of Notre Dame were howling.

Damn you!

Isn't that enough?

Screams will soon claw my mouth apart.

Then I heard,

softly,

a nerve leap

like a sick man from his bed.

Then,

barely moving,

at first,

it soon scampered about,

agitated,

distinct.

Now, with a couple more,

it darted about in a desperate dance.

The plaster on the ground floor crashed.

Nerves,

big nerves,

tiny nerves,

many nerves! –

galloped madly

till soon

their legs gave way.

But night oozed and oozed through the room –

and the eye, weighed down, could not slither out of

the slime.

The doors suddenly banged ta-ra-bang,

as though the hotel's teeth

chattered.

You swept in abruptly

like "take it or leave it!"

Mauling your suede gloves,

you declared:

"D'you know,

I'm getting married."

All right, marry then.

So what,

I can take it.

As you see, I'm calm!

Like the pulse

of a corpse.

Do you remember

how you used to talk?

"Jack London,

money,

love,

passion."

But I saw one thing only:

you, a Gioconda,

had to be stolen!

And you were stolen.

In love, I shall gamble again,

the arch of my brows ablaze.

What of it!

Homeless tramps often find

shelter in a burnt-out house!

You're teasing me now?

"You have fewer emeralds of madness

than a beggar has kopeks!"

But remember!

When they teased Vesuvius,

Pompeii perished!

Hey!

Gentlemen!

Amateurs

of sacrilege,

crime,

and carnage,

have you seen

the terror of terrors –

my face

when

I

am absolutely calm?

I feel

my "I"

is much too small for me.

Stubbornly a body pushes out of me.

Hello!

Who's speaking?

Mamma?

Mamma!

Your son is gloriously ill!

Mamma!

His heart is on fire.

Tell his sisters, Lyuda and Olya,

he has no nook to hide in.

Each word,

each joke,

which his scorching mouth spews,

jumps like a naked prostitute

from a burning brothel.

People sniff

the smell of burnt flesh!

A brigade of men drive up.

A glittering brigade.

In bright helmets.

But no jackboots here!

Tell the firemen

to climb lovingly when a heart's on fire.

Leave it to me.

I'll pump barrels of tears from my eyes.

I'll brace myself against my ribs.

I'll leap out! Out! Out!

They've collapsed.

You can't leap out of a heart!

From the cracks of the lips

upon a smouldering face

a cinder of a kiss rises to leap.

Mamma!

I cannot sing.

In the heart's chapel the choir loft catches fire!

The scorched figurines of words and numbers

scurry from the skull

like children from a flaming building.

Thus fear,

in its effort to grasp at the sky,

lifted high

the flaming arms of the Lusitania.

Into the calm of the apartment

where people quake,

a hundred-eye blaze bursts from the docks.

Moan

into the centuries,

if you can, a last scream: I'm on fire!

Translation from Russian

This is fantastic news. Best of luck, Samantha. :iheart:

I wonder if her baby bro' will be catching a performance while he's up there in Scotland? :wink2:

Festival Diary

By Tim Cornwell

Blooming fabulous, says brother

AS WELL as hooking up with Tracey Emin, actor and heart-throb Orlando Bloom took in his older sister Samantha (pictured right) 's Fringe show on Saturday.

In A Cloud in Trousers, she appears as Russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky, backed by cellist Alfia Nakipbekova.

"It's an incredibly emotional and raw piece, and she's playing a man, Mayakovsky, writing about falling in love," Orlando said. "It's 16 pages of dialogue and 40 minutes. Have I ever had the courage to do that? No. I am so proud."

Orlando arrived at the Underbelly with the family dog, Sidi. She leapt on stage during the performance, was coolly petted by Samantha before being retrieved by dad Colin.

Orlando then took Sidi off to take in Children of the Khmer at The World @ St George's West, about which he raved - before heading off to Crieff to climb a hefty hill.

Family ties Bloom at Festival

A MEMBER of the Bloom family made an unexpected cameo at the White Belly on Saturday. Orlando Bloom, in Edinburgh to catch some shows, was in the audience watching sister Samantha's Edinburgh debut performance of A Cloud in Trousers by a Girl in a Suit.

When Samantha took to the stage, Orlando's dog Sidi was so excited to see her dressed as a man that he mistook her for her brother and bounded on stage. Samantha took it in her stride, and involved the dog in the love story of a Russian poet.

Orlando, who was also spotted handing out fliers to stunned Fringe-goers before the show, said: "Sam was fantastic. It's a beautiful poem that resonates with all of us."

A rave review from her brother and the return of Sidi!! Sounds like Sam handled Sidi's inpromptu participation like a pro!

From Red Orbit:

Festival Diary

Posted on: Monday, 4 August 2008, 06:00 CDT

By Tim Cornwell

Blooming fabulous, says brother

AS WELL as hooking up with Tracey Emin, actor and heart-throb Orlando Bloom took in his older sister Samantha (pictured right) 's Fringe show on Saturday.

In A Cloud in Trousers, she appears as Russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky, backed by cellist Alfia Nakipbekova.

"It's an incredibly emotional and raw piece, and she's playing a man, Mayakovsky, writing about falling in love," Orlando said. "It's 16 pages of dialogue and 40 minutes. Have I ever had the courage to do that? No. I am so proud."

Orlando arrived at the Underbelly with the family dog, Sidi. She leapt on stage during the performance, was coolly petted by Samantha before being retrieved by dad Colin.

Orlando then took Sidi off to take in Children of the Khmer at The World @ St George's West, about which he raved - before heading off to Crieff to climb a hefty hill.

That production is directed by Alan Cox, son of Brian Cox, who is patron of The World.

(No photo online, it must have been in a published edition).

And from The Scotsman:

Family ties Bloom at Festival

A MEMBER of the Bloom family made an unexpected cameo at the White Belly on Saturday. Orlando Bloom, in Edinburgh to catch some shows, was in the audience watching sister Samantha's Edinburgh debut performance of A Cloud in Trousers by a Girl in a Suit.

When Samantha took to the stage, Orlando's dog Sidi was so excited to see her dressed as a man that he mistook her for her brother and bounded on stage. Samantha took it in her stride, and involved the dog in the love story of a Russian poet.

Orlando, who was also spotted handing out fliers to stunned Fringe-goers before the show, said: "Sam was fantastic. It's a beautiful poem that resonates with all of us."

I was beginning to wonder what happened to Sidi! :lol: Obviously, he's been busy studying acting...

Thanks, Jules and Jan. Well done, Sam. An amazing achievement. I see Sidi got his share of the limelight, too. Like the trooper that she is, Sam carried on.

Barbara

:lmao2: Oh, Sidi. You haven't changed a bit, have ya, pooch?

I'm glad to see I was right, and Orlando did return the favour by seeing his sister perform. Sam was at his opening performance of "In Celebration" wasn't she?

Thanks for the reports, Jan and Jules.

Thanks for this little glimpse into The Fringe, Jules & Jan. Maybe Sidi is planning a performance of his own for next year. :lol:

Krissy

Orlando, who was also spotted handing out fliers to stunned Fringe-goers before the show,

Isn't he just amazing. :wub: How many Hollywood stars could you see doing that.

T.

Oi, Sidi. :lol: I bet Sam had a few choice words for Orlando and his dog after the show. :teehee: Though he'd probably just have to pull a sad face to be off the hook.

Though he'd probably just have to pull a sad face to be off the hook.

Who? Sidi or Orlando?

:teehee:

Aliza

I went to see A Cloud In Trousers this afternoon. :) The Cowgate area of Edinburgh was very quiet today but that's probably not unusual on a Monday. The White Belly is a small venue with 150 seats and there were around 20 people in the audience.

Sam's performance was excellent, I was really impressed. Well done, Sam! :clap:

I picked up some Festival Fringe magazines and newspapers afterwards and looked through them a couple of times but I didn't see anything about A Cloud In Trousers. The Scotsman has a daily festival review and guide so I'll keep a lookout for any articles in that. Tim Cornwell's article was in today's newspaper but the picture shown is not from the play.

Patty, you did a good job adjusting the picture from the website. I have a few flyers - they are 4"x 6"cards. I don't have access to a scanner just now so I'll scan one later.

I think that is awesome Orlando attended Sam's play and even more awesome that he was handing out flyers before the show! :cheer2: I agree with Tahiri, how many hollywood stars would we see do that, none whatsoever! :wub:

Also, that is hilarious about Sidi, leave it to Sidi to try and steal the spotlight, I also have to hand it to Sam for taking it all in stride and allowing him to take part until their Dad came and retrieved him. :lol:

It sounds like a fun night and how I wish I could've been a fly on the wall to see Orlando & Sidi! :heart:

Thank you Jan and Jules for bringing over the reviews and articles! :hug:

Kim

I'm glad to hear that the Bloom family was together to show their support for Sam. I sure wish that I could have caught a glimpse of the "surprise guest" on stage :teehee: That's too sweet.

Sara

Brother, It's a Man's World

ORLANDO Bloom, one of Hollywood's biggest stars, strides through the foyer of an Edinburgh church with all the swaggering style of his Pirates of the Caribbean film role.

But a quartet of elderly ladies enjoying tea and scones in the cafe at St George's Church West hardly give him a second glance – it's Edinburgh, it's the Fringe, and they are unaware they are in company of a celebrity.

Bloom, 31, is in town to deliver an acting masterclass to his elder sister Samantha, 32, who is making her Fringe debut.

As Bloom mounts the stage to help Samantha transform herself into the male mindset of Russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky in his tale of unrequited love, there is a brief, respectful silence.

Bloom stops Samantha as she acts out a scene where Mayakovsky pricks his finger.

"Don't do it like that, don't suck your finger like that, that's what a woman does. Do it like this" and acts out a quick gnawing mannerism with his finger held at the side of his mouth and in that moment the star quality beams out.

Earlier, Bloom talking about his sister's appearance in A Cloud in Trousers, at the city's Underbelly venue, said: "I've been very fortunate but my sister's had to work very hard to carve out a career.

"It's been quite an undertaking for her and to begin with I marvelled at how it seemed almost like a stream of consciousness.

"Appearing on stage in a theatre rather than a Hollywood film is like using a different sort of muscle for an actor."

Suddenly the hall is plunged into darkness as lights are tested. Then power is restored.

Bloom, without missing a beat, smiles and continues: "At first I thought Samantha was joking about being on stage alone for 40 minutes I don't know if I could do it, it's a different sort of journey."

Taking a break from the masterclass Samantha said she had no qualms accepting advice from her brother: "He encourages and supports me in everything I do and I like to ask his opinion.

I'd been interested in playing a male role, but rather than playing a tough guy what I discovered was the fragility of men's emotions and the basic instincts we share."

As Orlando Bloom leaves the venue to fly to Sarajevo for filming commitments, a member of the Zawose Family, a group of musicians from Tanzania, appearing at the church venue enquires via co-ordinator and translator Robert Ngoroma, "Who is that guy?"

Told he is a big Hollywood star and quite a heart throb, he responds: "Like Mr Bean?"

It's Edinburgh, it's the Fringe, egos are left at the door.

It would be great if they had a project they could work on together, wouldn't it?! They seem so supportive of one another. It would have been nice if they had focused a bit more on Sam's performance - this isn't meant as a criticism of Orlando in any way at all, just the focus of the article itself. On a side note: Mr. Bean? :lol:

Bolded above too - is The Red Circle finally beginning?

Thanks so much, that was a lovely article. I have been smiling to myself all day thinking of Orlando hanging his head while Samantha gave him a tongue lashing.

This line makes me do more than smile.

"Orlando Bloom, one of Hollywood's biggest stars, strides through the foyer of an Edinburgh church with all the swaggering style of his Pirates of the Caribbean film role." :hellyeah: