ka-Bloom.org Forum

Orlando's Audi A3

Sunstar

Here's an article from Kent Online's motoring news.

Bloom goes green with new Audi

The Lord of the Rings actor, Canterbury-born Orlando Bloom, who is a fervent environmental campaigner, was spotted stepping out of his compact Audi A3 diesel, the most environmentally friendly Audi model, at Stansted Airport, having told friends he was downsizing his transport in order to cut his carbon emissions.

Bloom, whose schedule requires him to fly between the USA and the UK on a regular basis, has finally found a car which will allow him to travel in and out of London with minimum impact to the environment - his Audi A3 TDIe is the version with a very low CO2 emission of just 119 grammes per kilometre and able to travel up to 890 miles on a single fill up.

Bloom's eco-friendly Hollywood buddies are bound to be impressed with his car choice; Audi is currently spearheading the introduction of diesel technology in the USA, where it is only just catching on.

Audi has worked hard to ensure that even its largest model – the imposing seven-seat Q7 Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) - meets the stringent West Coast tailpipe emissions standards set by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in LA - the toughest environment rules of all of the 50 states.

~ I have not added a link to this article as it is illustrated with a paparazzi picture.

Neat article, Sunstar. Thanks for bringing it to us.

I'm not so sure about the diesel cars catching on over here, though. Diesel fuel is more expensive than premium/high octane gas, well over the $5 per gallon mark. Regardless, it's great to hear that Orlando has bought an environmentally friendly car. :2thumbs:

Thanks Sunstar, this is cute. :wub: Good for our man going even greener !

I've found a picture of the car ( I hope it's the right one. ) not sure what colour Orlando has it in though. I just had to see what one looked like and I can see our man driving around in this, what say you? :sigh:

environmental_protection_Par_0055_I.jpg

( I hope this is ok to post. :hmmm: )

Thank you Sunstar for bringing this over and Emily for posting the picture of the car! :hug: That is awesome about Orlando's new eco-friendly car and I am not surprised either! :2thumbs:

Way to go Orlando! :cheer2:

Kim

That's a very classy car, and eco-friendly as well. Way to go, Orlando! Thank you for the article Sunstar and, Emily, thanks for the piccie of the car. BTW, diesel is far more expensive than petrol here too.

I'm not so sure about the diesel cars catching on over here, though. Diesel fuel is more expensive than premium/high octane gas, well over the $5 per gallon mark.

I think that might be because consumers in North America don't understand that diesel is a WAY more efficent fuel. My dad is a contractor and over the years we sold off our old gas trucks and got diesel ones instead. The reduction in fuel expenditure is significant. The vehicles go much further on a fill so the price per litre (or gallon) is acutally less.

Now, once all those new bio-fuels get the kinks worked out and hit the market, they will be even better. Plus the introduction of many of the small block diesels (Smart Cars, and this new Audi, for example) really means that diesel is a better way to go until such time as fossil fuels won't be needed at all for transportation.

Good for Orlando. Nice new wheels! GRIN

JB

Knowing Orlando it's dark gray, black or silver, but since it's also GREEN it's great! Earlier I was researching at a site about cars that are better for the environment and it said that this Audi is one of the "greenest" cars available today! Good choice, Orlando! :2thumbs:

He's always thinking of others and giving back. What a special guy. :sigh: I'm happy that he has a nice new car that is also an ecologically sound investment. :gimme5:

Thanks for the news, Sunstar! Thanks for the piccie, Noggz! :cool_beans:

- Pam -

Good job, Orlando! :cheer2:

It helps to make the more efficient cars 'sexier' when driven by a, well, sexy celebrity. The more people willing to convert over to more fuel efficient cars, the better.

We just bit the bullet and converted. Yes Janet, I traded in 'our' car. 'Our' sexy little sports car no longer sits in my garage. :pout: I knew that it was time to change when I actually started to resent the car when I filled up. I drive about seventy miles per day, and with the RX8 only getting about 20mpg, on premium gas, it was starting to get quite expensive. Gary drove a Ford F-150 pick-up, and was getting about 16mpg and he drives over 100 miles per day. We spent almost 600 dollars on gas for him alone in April. :sick:

So we decided to make a change for the greener (and cheaper). We kept his truck, as you always need a truck in the boonies, and traded in my car. We bought a pair of Honda Civic coupes. His is silver, mine is white. We get about 35mpg, and love them. They are cute, and sporty looking, without costing an arm and a leg at the pump. What we save in gas, more than pays for one of the cars. People at my work, and his, are ready to do the same thing. They aren't hot sports cars, or macho trucks, but they sure are smart.

We considered getting the hybrid models, but most of our driving is done at highway speeds, so we wouldn't get the full benefit of the hybrid technology. When comparing the MPG difference, and calculating the cost of gas, and the increased cost of the vehicle, we figured that it would take almost seven years for us to make up the price difference. If you commute in the city, the hybrid would pay off sooner, but it just wasn't the right choice for the way we drive.

Our new cars:

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-coupe/p.?Model=FG1188JW