Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Gollum's Motion Capture

2 years ago we had a thread about WETA helping an injured kiwi bird to walk again by manufacturing a prosthetic leg. Today, another heart-warming story about WETA innovation being applied to help diagnose gait problems in children. The same animation technology that captured Andy Serkis's movements to create Gollum is being used to identify what surgery is needed to enable wheelchair-bound children to walk. From the NZ Herald:

WELLYWOOD TECHNOLOGY HELPS CHILDREN TO WALK Animation technology used in blockbuster movies such as Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings is now helping children to walk.

The Gait Laboratory at the Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane uses animation technology developed at Weta Digital in Wellington to see why some children, as young as 3, have trouble walking.

Keegan McCluskey, 12, is falling over less and has ditched his wheelchair for a walking stick since doctors were able to identify more accurately what surgery he needed to correct his walk.

Gait Laboratory director Dr Robyn Grote said the technology was reducing the number of times children had to undergo surgery because of its precision in mapping a child's motion.

"A number of reflective markers are placed on a child's legs, while eight specially designed cameras placed around the room record how these markers move," Dr Grote said. "Several cameras track each marker to allow a computer to create a three-dimensional view of the child's motion."This enables the team to analyse a child walking from the side, front, back and above _ all at once."

<snip>

:high5: Who could have imagined that computer programming used to create a fantasy movie character could also help kids walk? I wish this was around 25 years ago - academically, it could have made my college Kinetsiology course so much more palatable. :whistle:

What a fascinating application. Thanks for finding this.

(For anyone else like me and google who have never heard of kinetsiology, try looking up kinesiology!)

T.

How wonderful for these children.

Thanks for finding HS.

Debbi

(For anyone else like me and google who have never heard of kinetsiology, try looking up kinesiology!)

T.

:lol: I never said what my final grade was! For the life of me, I couldn't remember how to spell it. Thanks.

What an amazing and heartwarming story. Thanks for finding and sharing, HS.

Barbara

:quiver:

That's heartwarming and wonderful. Tolkien would be proud. Thanks for the news, HS.

Aliza

Fantastic.

Three cheers for Wellywood! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Thanks, HS!

This development is indeed heart-warming, Jill. Isn't it so :vcool: when technology developed strictly for entertainment purposes can be put to an even better use, such as to help children walk?

Thank you so much for telling us about this. You always find the most interesting stories for us! :high5:

- Pam -

Sign in to follow this