WETA's Cave is open for visitors for the first time, Friday June 6, 2008. The WETA cave experience includes a mini-museum, a theatre and a shop. A new 20 minute film shown in the screening room gives a first-ever behind the scenes look at WETA with interviews with Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, Tania Rodger and Jamie Selkirk. The museum contains props and displays from more than 20 years of WETA works. The shop contans movie related merchandise and memorabilia, of course.

In the neighborhood? The Cave is at the corner of Camperdown Rd. and Weka St., Miramar, Wellington and is closed Sundays, Mondays and Public Holidays. Tuesday to Friday 11 am -6 pm and Saturday 10 am - 4 pm. More information can be found at www.wetaNZ.com/cave

Guest RaeGanZanni

:cheer2: After the beach this is the first place I'm going if I am ever so lucky to see NZ again!

Thank you for sharing :hug:

All the best,

:heart:

Raegan

That's so cool. Guess who's going on a short trip to Wellington next Monday and Tuesday? I didn't know about this when I booked the flight, but now there's even more to look forward to. I hope I'll be able to find it and have a look.

Thank you for sharing :hug:

Julika

Guess who's going on a short trip to Wellington next Monday and Tuesday?
:yahoo: Glad I could share this news, in the nick of time. Don't forget they're closed on Mondays - you can see all the rest of Wellington on Monday. We look forward to hearing about your trip.

How fun will that be! Like HS said, please give us a report if at all possible.

Barbara

Thank you, HeySailor. :flower:

:w00t: Oh! We have our own reporter on the spot! :yahoo:

Enjoy, Julika. :cheer2:

:grouphug:

brigitte

Thanks for the information, HeySailor. If I get back to NZ again I'll head straight over there! I remember that area near the airport.

Julika, please report back, once you've paid them a visit.

A report was asked for and you shall get one - with pictures. I meant to post this after I returned on Wednesday, but I had some connection issues (growls at stupid and not paying neighbour).

It was quite nice to find out that the bus stop to Miramar was literally just across the street of my hostel thus it was quite easy to get there. Never mind, the bus driver looked a little puzzled what I could want there. It's actually quite tiny and I think if I hadn't known what to look for I might have not seen it, but once you enter you're greeted by Lurtz and Gollum. Fish, anyone? It basically is a shop to display all the different miniatures (some of them not so mini) and props of movies WETA has worked on and that you can purchase. However, there is also this impressive wall with all the Lord of the Rings related miniatures, it's really impressive (the Legolas picture turned out rather blurry, I'm sorry, but the bust didn't do him justice anyway). If I didn't have to watch out for my luggage limit, my account limit and the possibility that it could be crushed in my luggage, I might have bought more than just the location guidebook (signed by Ian Brodie, mind you). The documentary is about 20 minutes in the whole and shows some of the animated movie scenes. I admit, I watched it twice just to see polygon Legolas take down the oliphant once more. The commentary is interesting as well.

I also talked to one of the employees, he said they're happy to be finally open and that they already had over 300 visitors (the Tuesday after they opened and they were closed on Sunday). And as I said the site is not overly huge I don't want to imagine how crowded it has been. When I was there there were six other people, but they were more interested in the Narnia or King Kong(?) stuff.

If you have any more questions, please shoot I'll be happy to try and answer them. I know I don't really need to ask this but please don't use those photos without my permission.

Julika

Thank you so much Julika for sharing your visit and your photos with us. :iheart: What an awesome experience it must have been, I would probably be in awe looking at all those displays. The one with the hobbit feet and the daggers looked great, I can easily see Merry and or Pippin when I was looking at it. When I clicked on the photo of the miniature wall I immediately looked for Legolas and I found him! :lookie: How I wish we had something like this around here.

Thank you once again Julika because I know I will never get to see it myself! :hug:

Kim

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Thank you so much, Julika. :hug: I wish I could have gone with you. I appreciate the photos more than I can say. I don't get to travel much due to lack of funds and a mother who needs caring for. I haven't been anywhere in years, so being able to see at least SOME of what I want to see out there in the world helps. That's one of the many benefits of having sisters on this wonderful board. :yess: Oh, that last piccie that you marked "King Kong"; wasn't that from "Godzilla" instead? Just checking. I'm not sure, but I think that's right. Please tell me if I'm wrong because I very well could be. :quiver:

Anyway, thanks again. I loved your report and your great photos.

- Pam -

Thank you, Julika. Those pictures are fantastic, it sounds like you had quite an experience. I spotted the "Shards of Narsil" behind Lurtz, and Frodo's sword Sting. I can't be sure but I thnk one of Legolas' white knives is there too. I have that statue of Smeagol, the one with the fish. He sits on my nightstand by my bed.

Thanks so much for sharing. I really, really must visit that amazing country one day.

Rona :high5:

EDIT: Yup, I was right. I blew up your pic of the intimidating Lurtz and both of Legolas' white knives are in the case to his left. B)

Rona, I think you are right about Legolas' white knives and Frodo's sword being behind Lurtz, if only we could see those in person! :lookie:

Great eye Rona! :iheart:

Kim

What a treat, Julika. :) Thank-you so much for sharing these. What memories your photos bring back. :sigh: And I love your devotion to "polygon Legolas"! :lol: As for the T. Rex, remember, Kong fought three of them to rescue Ann (Naomi Watts) and that is what they looked like.

Julika! You are so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to see the Weta shop. Thank you so much for sharing your pics. The Gollum statue is so real, he looks like he's going to start gnawing that fish any minute. I would love to visit NZ (both meanings) and will add this spot to my list forthwith.

Thanks again

Aliza

Wow Julika, thanks so much for sharing so many pictures of the Cave with us! What a wonderful visit you had. I especially enjoyed looking at the wall of all the miniatures. I hope one day to visit New Zealand, and the WETA Cave will definitely be on my list of things to see. Thanks again!

Julika, thanks for letting us travel with you through WETA. I'll probably never get there on my own, but this is definitely next best. One fantastic photo after another. :notworthy::hug:

Barbara

Julika, thanks for the quick report. I am sooooo jealous! :boxing: But one day, oh yes! One day I WILL go to NZ. Well, if I will win the lottery :naughty:

Napasha

:beer: Thanks for sharing your pictures of your excursion to WETA's Cave, Julika. I think they should re-name Weka Street to Weta.

Julika, thank you so much for sharing your photos of your trip to WETA.

I may never get to NZ, but these pictures are the next best thing.

Debbi