Sign in to follow this  
Patty

"Sparrow" by Johnnie To

Since I have not seen a Johnnie To movie, I was interested to see this trailer for his latest movie, Sparrow. It is scheduled for its East Coast debut at the New York Asian Film Festival. This looks like such a delightful movie. Anyone seen it? I'd love to see it in a theater - come on NC art houses. I am not familiar with To's work, but I gather this is a change of pace.

SPARROW, Johnnie To's latest movie, will be making its East Coast bow at the New York Asian Film Festival (June 20 - July 6). A sharp-eyed reader has sent in a link to its trailer, which gives you a good idea of its retro, quasi-musical charms and I have to add that I think this is one of To's best movies (then again, I loved THROWDOWN). There's been a lot of grumbling by folks who don't think it's serious enough and who complain that it's no dark masterpiece, but there's something to be said for a movie that's so charming and breezy that it feels like an 87 minute champagne bath for your soul. If you watch SPARROW I defy you to remember any of your troubles for up to three hours afterwards.

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/component.yblog/show,6141

Anyhow, I love the light, romantic touch and hope The Red Circle is as appealing, if not necessarily as light.

That looks like a good movie, from the trailer. Maybe it will make it's way out here to the southwest but if not, Oh Well! At least now I have some idea of Mr. To's work! Thanks, Patty for bringing that one over for us to see!

Louise

Guest RaeGanZanni

Aw that looks like such a cute film, I'm anxious to see it! Anyone know how I might come by this?

:heart:

Raegan

Thanks for the info Patty. On of our local art houses (Pacific Film Archive) had a retrospective of To's work. I didn't come across the program until it was too late to see them, but I read the descriptions and they mostly sounded very dark. The Sparrow sounds more up my alley. The trailer looks interesting but it was very hard to follow due to trying to read the subtitles and watch the very fast cuts.

Aliza

Edited by aliza

Sign in to follow this