Geri

42 posts in this topic

As reported by Variety:

By DADE HAYES

An eclectic group of thesps and helmers are fanning out across Gotham's five boroughs to shoot "New York, I Love You."

Orlando Bloom, Olivia Thirlby, Hayden Christensen and Ethan Hawke are among those who have boarded the omnibus pic, a mixture of contemplative romance and unabashed civic boosterism. The anthology of shorts follows the format of "Paris, je t'aime," a surprise specialty hit released last year.

A few names had been rumored online since the project was first announced last spring (Woody Allen has nothing to do with it, contrary to reports). Paparazzi have swooped down on the production, currently midway through a planned 10-week shoot, and blogs started to teem with photos, especially when Scarlett Johansson started lining up shots.

Johansson, like fellow thesp Natalie Portman, is making her helming debut on the project. Portman also stars in a separate short.

Directors include Mira Nair, Brett Ratner and Alan Hughes, plus international helmers such as Fatih Akin, Andrey Zvyagintsev and Wen Jiang. The pic's producers include Marina Grasic, exec producer of "Crash"; Marianne Maddalena, of the "Scream" pics; and Jan Korbelin, exec producer of Lionsgate's "The Lucky Ones."

Domestic rights are still being negotiated, and Bill Bloch's QED is selling international.

Using a similar approach, "Paris je t'aime" quietly racked up nearly $5 million at the domestic B.O., quite a feat for a French-language title. First Look distribbed in the U.S.

"Paris je t'aime" kicked off producer Emmanuel Benhiby's planned global series that could see numerous locales get the "I love you" treatment, with Shanghai and Africa on the drawing board. The timing is right, the filmmakers add.

"This is a way for directors to play with a format that isn't 90 minutes," Korbelin said.

"With films like 'Crash' and 'Babel,' the approach to narrative has changed," Grasic said. "People are getting more sophisticated about watching content in shorter forms."

In one business respect, "New York" stands out amid the current tide of pics such as "Sex and the City" and "Enchanted" that have spotlighted Gotham locations. NYC & Co., the official marketing and tourism organization for the City of New York, is fully behind the pic, throwing its weight into sponsorship deals.

A major airline is in final talks to help ferry talent to and from the city and promote the film on its aircraft, for example. Such co-branding deals go well beyond the typical offer of a few bus shelter ads and minor marketing considerations.

"Given that this film is a valentine to the city, the city feels extra responsibility," said one person involved in dealmaking.

So what's to separate the movie from simple testimonial tourism promos that would run in a taxicab or on a billboard? The filmmakers say that the explicit auteur approach, as well as interstitial material that weaves together the shorts into a planned 100-minute whole, will steer clear of overt shilling.

Still, "This is a natural for New York," Grasic said. "It's definitely going to be cross-promotional."

In the end, they say, New York will be a character, as it has been in films since the silent era, with a special nod to the diversity of 21st century Gotham.

"There are a lot of culture clashes and love stories involving people of different races," noted Grasic.

Other confirmed thesps include Carlos Acosta, Kevin Bacon, Justin Bartha, Rachel Bilson, James Caan, Bradley Cooper, Chris Cooper, Drea de Matteo, Irrfan Khan, Cloris Leachman, Blake Lively, Emilie Ohana, Maggie Q, Shu Qi, Eli Wallach, Saul Williams, Robin Wright-Penn, Anton Yelchin and Ugur Yucel.

Here's a couple more stories on this movie, listing more cast (Julie Christie and John Hurt, among others) and describing some of the segments. Also, apparently Shanghai is the next city on the "to do" list.

LaBeouf, Bloom, Christie in 'Love You'

After months of rumors and speculation, the trades report a confirmed list of actors and directors on board for the Gotham-set anthology feature ''New York, I Love You''

Orlando Bloom, Shia LaBeouf, Julie Christie, Ethan Hawke, and Kevin Bacon are reportedly among the group of actors and directors taking part in the anthology feature New York, I Love You. The project, a collection of 12 shorts shot in each of New York's five boroughs, is being compared to Paris, je t'aime, the French-language film that used a similar approach with Paris as the setting. Names have been swirling around the Internet for the past year, but on Wednesday (April 10), the trade papers reported a comprehensive listing of those involved, both in front of and behind the camera.

Hollywood Reporter reports that LaBeouf is starring with Christie in a segment, written by the late Anthony Minghella and directed by Shekhar Kapur (Elizabeth: The Golden Age), about a woman who checks into a hotel somehow caught between worlds. There, she meets a young man and the two discover a connection and begin to understand their situation. The short is being described as similar to Minghella's feature Truly Madly Deeply. Natalie Portman is making her directorial debut with a short (she also stars in one), as is Scarlett Johansson, who is directing a segment that follows the journey of a lonely man and his vision of the city. Photos of Johansson lining up shots made the rounds in the blogosphere last month.

Variety reports that directors Bret Ratner, Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding), and Alan Hughes are among those sharing helming duties. In addition to Bacon, Hawke, Bloom, Christie, and LaBeouf, the other actors reportedly confirmed for the movie include: Carlos Acosta, Justin Bartha, Rachel Bilson, James Caan, Bradley Cooper, Chris Cooper, Drea de Matteo, Irrfan Khan, Cloris Leachman, Blake Lively, Emilie Ohana, Maggie Q, Shu Qi, Olivia Thirlby, Eli Wallach, Saul Williams, Robin Wright-Penn, Anton Yelchin, and Ugur Yucel.

The movie is said to be about halfway through a 10-week shoot. Domestic rights are still under negotiation.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20190317,00.html

Shia LaBeouf, Julie Christie join 'Love'

By Borys Kit and Gregg Goldstein

April 9, 2008

Shia LaBeouf, Julie Christie and John Hurt are starring in the late Anthony Minghella-scripted segment of "New York, I Love You," an anthology of 12 short films set in each of the city's five boroughs.

"Love" is being helmed by a coterie of directors, including Natalie Portman, who is making her writing and directing debut.

Those cast in the anthology film include Hayden Christensen, Rachel Bilson, Chris Cooper, Anton Yelchin, Drea de Matteo, Ethan Hawke and Kevin Bacon.

Among those directing are such notables as Allen Hughes, Brett Ratner and Scarlett Johansson. Johansson's entry follows the journey of a lonely man and his vision of the city.

The movie follows on the heels of the similarly formatted "Paris, je t'aime," which dealt with love encounters in the City of Lights.

The next city to get the anthology treatment, under what is being called the "Cities of Love" franchise, is Shanghai, followed by a location in South America and then Africa.

LaBeouf and Christie's segment, written by the late Minghella and directed by Shekhar Kapur, who stepped in after the director died, centers on a woman who checks into a hotel that is in between worlds. There, she meets a young man and the two discover not only a mysterious connection but develop an understanding as to their situation. The short is described as being similar to Minghella's breakout film, "Truly Madly Deeply." Production is under way on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

Marianne Maddalena, Emmanuel Benbihy and Marina Grasic are producing "New York."

"New York" is produced in association with Sherazade Films and Benaroya Pictures, Visitor Pictures and Cities of Love. International distribution will be handled by QED International. The production services in New York are being handled by Plum Pictures, whose partners are executive producing.

Other acting names in "New York" include Carlos Acosta, Justin Bartha, Bradley Cooper, Irfan Khan, Cloris Leachman, Blake Lively, Emilie Ohana, Natalie Portman, Maggie Q, Shu Qi, Olivia Thirlby, Eli Wallach, Saul Williams, Robin Wright Penn, Anton Yelchin and Ugur Yucel.

LaBeouf next stars in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "Eagle Eye." He is repped by Endeavor, John Crosby Management and lawyer Matt Saver.

Christie, enjoying a late-career resurgence, is coming off an Oscar nomination for her work in Sarah Polley's "Away From Her." She is repped by Endeavor.

Portman, who most recently starred in "The Other Boleyn Girl," is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

Borys Kit reported from Los Angeles; Gregg Goldstein reported from New York.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten.e08dc21f227c2fc

I found 6 stills from the movie with Natalie Portman, Kevin Bacon, and some more stuff here.

I, too, wonder who he's co-starring with and what his segment is all about. Who knows, "London, I Love You" will follow as well. :wink2:

Thanks Patty for the additional info.

Orlando and Christina Ricci's segment is being directed by Japanese director, Shunji Iwai. Filming started yesterday in Central Park's Strawberry Fields.

Just some more interesting info about the filming.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Short and sweet works well for New York's flirty dozen

By Rebecca Leffler

April 24, 2008

NEW YORK -- Start spreading the news: Short films are all the rage on the streets of New York.

The format, long-celebrated in Europe, is finding a new home stateside thanks to Emmanuel Benbihy's "Cities of Love" short films-turned-feature franchise, which is in the process of wrapping preliminary shooting on its next installment, "New York, I Love You," in the city that never sleeps.

The film, a sort of menage-a-twelve of a dozen short films shot by different directors with a cast list ripped from the VIP section of the yellow pages, might just be changing the filmmaking landscape in this new era of both shorter consumer attention spans and shorter gaps in big stars' filming schedules.

The directors film their individual five- to six-minute shorts for two days, then turn their talent -- think Natalie Portman, Kevin Bacon, Orlando Bloom, recent addition Andy Garcia, Julie Christie, Ethan Hawke and other famous friends -- over to a director of transitions who shoots for a third day with the same actors. The dozen shorts will come together for the 100-minute final product through intertwining transitional sequences and opening and closing segments to give viewers a single narrative experience.

"It's a fragmented vision of life," producer Benbihy says. "In 15 minutes, the spectator can be in a different place with different people speaking a different language. I want to extend the vision of what a film experience can be."

The work-in-progress will wrap shooting in early May before three to four months of editing. "It's a leap of faith," Benbihy says. "We're building a format that takes its final shape little by little."

Adds Marina Grasic, managing partner at Palm Pictures and also a producer on the film: "We've cast as we've gone along. The value of the film has gone up exponentially since we started."

So how did the film's producers manage to pile a dozen of the world's most acclaimed directors and handfuls of in-demand talent into one movie? Simple: Ask them for only two or three days of their time and give them not only an excuse to visit New York but also a chance to work with filmmakers or stars they wouldn't have otherwise.

"There hasn't been a single movie star who hasn't embraced the concept," Grasic says.

But will audiences be caught in traffic trying to navigate the different stories?

"The challenge of the film will be to cut everything together and to find the right order for the segments," Benbihy says. The producer went through 84 cuts of "New York's" mother film, "Paris, je t'aime," before choosing the one that ended up in theaters.

"The challenge of the movie is to create unity with diversity," Benbihy says. Not to mention, he adds, "In an American environment, you have a lot of rules."

Yet despite the obvious cultural differences that come from moving the Europe-based format to the U.S., the short film-turned-feature anthology format has yet to be lost in translation.

"A lot of filmmakers have said to us, 'Can we do another one?' " Grasic says. While the answer was "no" in every language, the directors might get another chance eventually since Benbihy plans take the franchise across the globe.

"We're not sure where we want to go next," he says. "It's all about what is possible.

I'm very much looking forward to a concise description of all 12 segments and a detailed look at each and every character. That will be cool. :cool_beans:

The New York Post movie blogspot has mentioned in passing that NYILY has been pulled from its April release and that it might open at Cannes in May. While I would be terribly disappointed if it doesn't open in April in the US, the Cannes Film Festival could provide plenty of red carpet action with the star-studded cast. I don't know what their chief film critic Lou Lumenick knows that I don't but I'm certain he has much better sources! :lol:

<snip>No officially word yet on the rest of the Cannes lineup, which is widely expected to include the world premiere of McG's "Terminator Salvation'' with Christian Bale and Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds'' starring Brad Pitt. The all-star "New York, I Love You'' (with segments directed by Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portmann) has been pulled from its April opening date in the U.S., so I wouldn't be surprised it it debuts on the Riviera as well. The French-produced multi-story pic is a sequel to "Paris Je T'aime,'' which bowed at the 2006 Cannes fest. And Cannes organizers are not adverse to eye candy on their red carpet.

Birmingham Film Examiner

This article is suggesting that New York, I Love You will go straight to DVD. Hopefully, Jill's story about it premiering at Cannes is the correct information though. :2thumbs:

“Little Ashes” staring Robert Pattinson is set to be in limited theaters on May 8th (Check below for information on what cities and dates) and “New York, I Love You” a short collective film, starring a kaleidescope of actors including; Shia LaBeouf, Orlando Bloom, Hayden Christensen, Kevin Bacon, Ethan Hawke and Natalie Portman, just to name a few and an array of talented writers like; Steven Winter, Yvan Atal, Robin Wright Penn will probably go straight to DVD due to unfortunately, no release date. IMDB reports that this movie was stated to be released in limited theaters in April. But wait, it is April!

So what is the reason for these mainstream actors to not have a chance at the cinema with small movies?

Basically, it is a gamble for these companies, Regent Release, the US distributional company for “Little Ashes” and for producer Paris je t'aime for "New York, I Love You" could very well lose money on these independent films. What the public and fans may not know is how much one picture can cost these independent movie makers to distribute these small movies. The actual film that goes into the projector can cost up to thousands of dollars to run each strip, not to mention the radio and television ads they have to endorse, and posters, billboards, newspaper ads, etc. Plus these small movies never are expected high expectations at the box office so they limit them by just appearing in major cities and instead of marketing them worldwide or statewide, they are in limited theaters in major cities first, to get theater reactions, then perhaps expand to other arenas.

So where does that leave the fans?

IMDB reports that “New York, I Love You” was stated to be released in limited theaters in April but now that its April there has been no signs of life for this one, I am guessing your best bet to see this will be on DVD or you might have to wait another year. (In most instances when a movie is set to be limited, more than half the time it goes straight to DVD. Just keep checking the local papers and sometimes petitions may help) As for “Little Ashes”, this film might have a chance to go local due to the mass fans of Robert Pattinson and the “Twilight” frenzy it has populated, so it is possible that this movie could very well be at a theater near you. However, keep in mind that most of the time limited movies go straight to video and can take even longer to see on Netflix, due to their limited copies, and high demands. Or you can try to just simply buy it at Amazon or Ebay when they become available.

Unfotunately, we may not be able to see "New York, I Love You" nor "Little Ashes" in the near future, but it does give me something to look forward to, just wish I had more patience. Oh well, I guess I will have to settle for "Transformers 3: Revenge of The Fallen" and "New Moon" instead. (But wait, Im anxiously awaiting those too.) Oh, to be a movie fan. Whoa is me.

I just took a quick look at the Cannes website and nada - they haven't released their complete schedule yet. The festival starts May 13th so they have some time to torment us. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on amazon.com as well; they're usually pretty quick to take pre-orders when a fim goes straight to video. I can't imagine this one going that route but then again, its predecessor, J'Taime Paris, wasn't shown at my local multiplex either. I watched it on an international flight.

ETA: a few days ago I read two mentions of NYILY but I dismissed both of them as they gave a September 2009 release target. SInce one source was in the Mid-East, I shrugged it off, assuming that it would take that long to get there and thatthe other source was just parroting. Now I'm having seconds thoughts. C'mon, Cannes! Throw us a bone here! We're hungry.

This tidbit about Chris Cooper from The Hollywood Reporter on April 2, 2009:

<snip>The Paradigm-repped Cooper has "New York, I Love You" coming out in September.
:hmmm: Edited by HeySailor

Staten Island Live carried an interview with Rachel Bilson, who also is in NYILY. Here's what was said about the opening date:

Actress Rachel Bilson has been busy this past year working on a new movie, "New York, I Love You," out this fall, and teaming up with Jergens and The Skin Cancer Foundation for the "Glow in the Dark Campaign." She took a few minutes to speak with us about her two new projects.

MCT: Your movie, "New York, I Love You," is out this fall. What was it like working with such an extensive and talented cast?

Bilson: Well you know what, it's all short films that are complied together to make one movie, so I didn't actually work with (all of) them. It's really cool to be a part of it. I was really thrilled. I am surrounded by many talented actors and stories so I think it is an amazing project as a whole.<snip>

When asked about working on NYILU, out this fall, she didn't correct the interviewer.

Every Wednesday The Hollywood Reporter publishes the most recent decisions by the MPAA:

MPAA ratings: April 8, 2009. The following feature-length motion pictures have been reviewed and rated by the Classification and Rating Administration pursuant to the Motion Picture Classification and Rating program. Each of the designated ratings is defined as follows under the Motion Picture Classification and Rating program.

G -- GENERAL AUDIENCES. All ages admitted.

PG -- PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED. Some material may not be suitable for children.

PG -13 --PARENTS STRONGLY CAUTIONED. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

R -- RESTRICTED. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.

NC-17 -- NO ONE 17 AND UNDER ADMITTED.

NYILYrating200.jpg
This recent decision could have contributed to why the film did not come out in April. This is a re-rate; it originally was rated 8 weeks ago. It was a 'R' then and with changes, it's still 'R.' I'm only guessing but it is possible that they're trying to get enough sex and language out to earn a PG-13 - thus reaching a wider audience and more ticket sales.

ETA: I'm working on getting the rating explanation larger. Bear with me.

How's this?

NYILY400.jpgI give up! I made it 400% larger (and 500 pixels wide) and yet it's the same size when I add it in. :pout: Some old dogs are not meant to learn new tricks.

Here's what Bulletin No: 2064 Updated Wednesday April 8, 2009 says:

Reason: Rated for language and sexual content. NOTE: Re-rate. Content different from original R rated version. Bulletin No. 2052 (1/14/09). Rating and reason did not change.

The most recent date being bandied about for the US release is May 30th. We'll see. There's no solid confirmation so this may be another date that we watch come and go. February 13th, April, May 30th, etc.

HS, I was looking through the Cannes Product Listing that you linked to in the SfD thread and found this on page 31. I don't know what the notation "screening; returning" means - maybe that it will be screened at Cannes? :huh:

New York I Love You (U.S.A.) Producers:

Emmanuel Benbihy, Marina Grasic; directors:

Brett Ratner, Joshua Marston, Albert And Allen

Hughes, Fatih Akin, Natalie Portman, Yvan

Attal, Shekhar Kapur, Shunji Iwai, Mira Nair,

Jiang Wen; cast: Robin Wright Penn, Shia

Labeouf, Natalie Portman, Christina Ricci,

Hayden Christensen, Rachel Bilson, Ethan

Hawke, Julie Christie, Drea De Matteo, Bradley

Cooper, Chris Cooper, Cloris Leachman, Maggie

Q, Irrfan Khan, Shu Qi, Olivia Thirlby. Following

the box office smash feature film ‘Paris, je

t’aime’ that opened the 2006 ‘Un Certain

Regard’ section of the Cannes Film Festival,

we are thrilled to present ‘New York, I Love

You’. Twelve filmmakers have directed short

films illustrating the universal theme of

encountering love within the five boroughs of

New York City. Internationally acclaimed

actors and directors have signed on and created

another truly enjoyable and inspiring project.

(102 mins.; screening; returning)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/photos.ings_09_WEB.pdf

I see that some are listed as 'debuting'; maybe because it showed (albeit incomplete) in Toronto, it's considered 'returning'?

Thanks for the sharp eyes, Patty. :)

We have an official US release date. Hot off the Variety press:

Vivendi Entertainment has set Oct. 16 as the release date for anthology project "New York, I Love You."

The pic includes segments directed by Jian Wen, Mira Nair, Brett Ratner, Allen Hughes, Shekhar Khapur, Natalie Portman, Fatih Akin, Joshua Marston and Randy Balsmyer.

Cast is comprised of Bradley Cooper, Andy Garcia, Hayden Christensen, Rachel Bilson, Natalie Portman, Irrfan Khan, Emilie Ohana, Orlando Bloom, Christina Ricci, Maggie Q, Ethan Hawke, James Caan, Blake Lively, Drea de Matteo, John Hurt, Shia LaBeouf, Burt Young, Chris Cooper, Eli Wallach and Cloris Leachman. The project follows along the same lines as "Paris Je T'aime" as the second in a series of "Cities of Love" movies conceived by Emmanuel Benbihy, who produced this film with Marina Grasic ("Crash"). "Cities of Love" productions are being set up in Shanghai, Rio de Jainero, Berlin and Jerusalem.

October 16! Let the Countdown begin!

:timeout: If anyone is in the neighborhood, NYILU will be screened (for approved buyers only) at Cannes, gosh, right now. Starting Friday 1600 local time and finishing 102 minutes later.

It may end up being nothing but according to my on-air progamming guide, NYILY will be featured on Entertainment Tonight on Wednesday July 15th.

The two segments that were removed from NYILY (Johansson's and Andre Zvyagintev's contributions) premiered at the LA Short FIlm Festival last night (Thursday). The film festival runs through next Friday so they may appear scheduled for another screening or two.

Bad news for Japanese fans waiting for NYILU. ScreenDaily is reporting that the Japanese distributor, Xanadeux, has gone out of business and the president and founder has been missing since June. Xanadeux was to have distributed NYILY in Japan.

:yankchain: Just Jared.com saw an early screening of NYILY last week and all they had to comment on tied into their gossip item on some other stars. Not a word about the film itself, darnnit. Still, early reviews should be showing up soon.

Is it too soon to start a countdown to October 16th?

I was excited to see this first review of the film. Sounds like just my cup of tea. I'll just quote the section about Orlando's segment, but the entire review is well done and interesting.

New York, I Love You

by Tim Cogshell

Print Article posted September 3, 2009 2:11 PM

Love in various brushstrokes

. . .

A segment about a composer struggling with a score and a difficult director starring Orlando Bloom and a disembodied female voice is pure romanticism and is wonderful; Shunji Iwai directs.

. . .

http://boxoffice.com/reviews/2009/09/new-york-i-love-you.php

:cheer2: The publicity machine for NYILY is cranking up. Today on EXTRA, they promoted the film 15 minutes into the show- sadly they promoted Bradley Cooper's one night stand and flashed through the other segments, all of which looked like they were from the trailer. Their 'exclusive clip' was not Orlando's story. I captured the EXTRA segment if the PTB and PEFICs want a look. Or they can catch the West Coast Feed.

From Twitter - if any of you are interested:

'New York, I Love You' fans! You can now text nyilu to 30303 to receive movie news, updates, and prizes straight to your phone.

Does that mean I can get a phone call from Orlando? :teehee:

:cheer2: OMG! We didn't get the 2016 Olympics but we are getting NYILU. I checked with Fandango and NYILU IS being shown in the Chicago area - at the CineArts6 in Evanston (right across from the Evanston Davis Street Metra station for those who want to use mass transit), starting October 16 noon. 5 shows a day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday No listings after that.

We may have to start a Chicago-meet-up thread in the Members Only thread! Anybody game?! I'm clearing my calendar!