ka-Bloom.org Forum

The Red Circle

Jan

That is good news! I also have a question, what is Orlando doing now?

Kim

Aside from shaving off his curls, well, being handsome comes to mind .Such a hardship for him, poor lad. :naughty:

But yeah, what is going on?

The answer to this is over in the "Fools Rush In" thread. The question is, with both Liam and Orlando commited to both films, how are they going to work out the scheduling and is The Red Circle still on?

Unless the press got the dates for the beginning of productions on both pictures wrong. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time they released flawed information, would it?

:nope::teehee:

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

From twitchfilm.net

Ah, Johnnie, You Sly Devil … To Reunited With Lau For LOOK!

Posted by Todd Brown at 9:29am.

Posted in Film News , Drama, Asia.

Oh, Johnnie To ... when you told people you planned to slow down and make fewer films I actually believed you. With big budget international project The Red Circle due to shoot in December I figured you’d be kind of busy preparing and would give up your two-or-three films simultaneously working methods. Nope. I was wrong.

Johnnie To has reunited with Mad Detective actor Lau Ching-Wan on a picture titled Look, which To is obviously planning on sneaking through production before The Red Circle ramps up. I say obviously because it’s shooting right now and The Oriental Daily has set photos to prove it. Other than that it exists, however, I know nothing because To has snuck this one into production quietly and I have yet to see any English language info on it.

Well, the good news is that the above states that "The Red Circle" is due to shoot in December. The less good news is that there appear to be rumours floating around that "The Red Circle" is to be delayed for another 2 years (allegedly hinted at by Johnny To at the Venice Film Festival). I can't find anything remotely official looking about this but maybe more news will surface from JT at the TIFF.

We shall see.

Delayed for two years?? Oh, I seriously hope not. I guess we'll just have to await developments. Thanks, caz, for bringing this over. I'm going to think positively about the "shooting in December" part of the article and try to disregard the rumors. *fingers crossed* for December.

Barbara

I hope its not true either but seeing how Orlando is getting busy with other projects I wonder if the rumors are true. :hmmm: Isn't it at the end of the year that Orlando hopes to start production for the Fools Rush In project? And then there is Liam Neeson who has also signed on for a supporting role for the Fools Rush In project who was also suppose to be in the Red Circle. :blink:

Well like I said before only time will tell what will happen with The Red Circle.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

The Red Circle is no longer available at Rotten Tomatoes. I was checking there fairly often to see if there was news. Should I worry? I mean, has anything hopeful emerged from the silence lately. I could live with a delay until December. But two years in the film industry is almost as good as never (great gnashing of teeth).

Molly

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The UCLA Asia Institute had a brief mention of Johnnie To in their recent newsletter. It would appear that work on The Red Circle will not commence in the next 60 days - he's currently filming Vengeance in Hong Kong:

To Ready For Vengeance

Acclaimed Hong Kong film director and producer Johnnie To has asked French rocker Johnny Hallyday and French actress Sylvie Testud to star in his new Hong Kong crime thriller Vengeance. The film is about a French assassin-turned-chef who journeys to Hong Kong in order to avenge a murder. According to Media Asia, Vengeance has begun filming and is scheduled to finish its 60-day shoot in Hong Kong. The film also stars Anthony Wong, Simon Yam, Lam Suet and Lam Ka Tung, all of whom are regulars in To's work. The $11.5 million film is taking primary focus of To's work. His other projects have been halted as he shifts his focus solely on Vengeance.

We're in for a bit of a wait. There won't be a December start.

Thank you Jill for bringing this over, even though its not news I wanted to hear.

Wasn't it almost a year ago that we saw those pictures of Orlando meeting with Johnny To in Hong Kong to discuss the Red Circle? :hmmm:

Well, maybe now Orlando will be able to move on to other projects and focus more on Fools Rush In and the Rory Stewart biopic.

Kim

• 1 month later...

Wait! I see a light at the end of the tunnel. If this San Fransisco Chronicle staffer has it right (by interviewing the director and not repeating internet 'facts'), The Red Circle is still on Johnnie To's plate. This was hidden inside an article promoting To's Sparrow:

<snip>It's rare to see such joyful filmmaking, where the objective is the thing itself. To, 53, has been gradually working toward his vision of pure cinema, often making movies based on one cinematic idea or sequence ("Exiled," "PTU," for starters). He is currently taking a brief detour to make his first English-language film, a remake of Jean-Pierre Melville's "The Red Circle" with Liam Neeson, Orlando Bloom and Chow Yun-Fat. For the past decade, To has been working at a furious pace, making two to three movies a year for his independent company, Milkyway Image, mostly action films and comedies.<snip>

That sounds very promising! I also can't wait to see filming get started and to see Orlando working with Liam Neeson and Chow Yun-Fat again! :cheer2:

I just watched POTC3 on New Year's Eve and whenever I see Chow Yun-Fat I immediately think of the Red Circle and wonder if and when this will finally get off the ground.

Thank you Jill for this exciting news! :hug:

Kim

I was just looking at the pictures of the Troy red carpet in Cannes and feeling nostalgic for the days when Orlando was showing up in public more regularly. I know it's best for him to have this time to regenerate and rethink but I miss him. Rumors of new projects are delightful.

I :heart: Orlando.

Aliza