Jan

The Red Circle

When I read that interview yesterday, I understood it to be with Johnny Halladay, who appeared in Johnnie To's Vengeance." Then I read it again and it said the interview was with "JAM!" Who's JAM!?

:doh: Hard to believe than English is my native tongue!

Jam! showbiz is just the name of the news agency or entertainment firm, I think. It said "To spoke with Jam!" after the TIFF premiere, so I took it to be an interview with To as opposed to with Hallyday.

Another interview with Johnnie To while at the TIFF. When I read this interview, it sounds like The Red Circle is already done?

Twitch Film Article

TB: (Laughs.) So did VENGEANCE begin before or after the involvement with THE RED CIRCLE? Was it around the same era?

JT: VENGEANCE happened first. We began to develop RED CIRCLE in the same year but it was about six or eight months later that RED CIRCLE came about. They were always independent projects.

He also notes that he has another movie in development, which has a temporary title of "Death of a Hostage".

It's a difficult read (the entire interview), so it's hard to say what he really means. :huh: I think a lot gets lost in the translation. So who knows?

Thanks for the article. I think.

If Liam Neeson's schedule is anything to go by, The Red Circle won't be filming in October, or probably November either. Neeson is currently filming The A-Team and Variety just reported that he has signed on to another film project - The Next Three Days - a Paul Haggis-directed thriller for Lionsgate. Shooting started on Friday in Pittsburgh, PA, USA for that one and is expected to end Dec.12. Neeson plays an ex-con and expert on prison escapes who becomes invoved in a husband's (Russell crowe) efforts to break his wife (Elizabeth Banks) out of jail, where she is awaiting trial for a gruesome murder she says she didn't commit. From that synopsis, it sounds like Liam's character is not a minor one so he might be involved in the shoot for weeks.

ETA: Nevermind. The Hollywood Reporter is stating that Liam's role is a cameo in nature. His character has writen a book on jail breaks and he gives Rusell Crowe's character advice.

I'm having serious doubts about this project. Too bad, because it looked like an interesting one when it first reared it's head. I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for the news, Jill.

Chow Yun Fat's involvement in another film, "a comedy western," was announced today in Variety. The film is already in production (after 9 re-writes and 10 different endings) and CHow had reserved the second half of 2009 for filming:

ZHENGZHOU -- Hong Kong action hero Chow Yun-fat is set to follow up his role as the ancient philosopher Confucius with a part in Chinese helmer Jiang Wen's $18 million period Western laffer "Let the Bullets Fly."

Hong Kong's Emperor Motion Pictures said Chow will co-star alongside Jiang, best known for arthouse pics such as "Devils on the Doorstep," and the popular Mainland Chinese comedian Ge You.

The script had undergone nine rewrites with 10 different endings before it was finalized on Monday.

Pic is co-produced by Emperor Motion Pictures, Beijing Buyilehu Film and other partners.

"Let the Bullets Fly" is in production and is slated for a fall 2010 release.

"This sets up a giant clash of the Chinese titans who will be appearing onscreen together for the first time and ended months of speculation about whether Chow would join the movie," shingle said in a statement. Producer Ma Ke said Chow had expressed his interest very early on and had reserved the second half of 2009 for the filming. "It was a matter of working out the script to everyone's satisfaction. We're very happy that he's finally on board," said Ma.

IMDB lists this film as "in development" on Orlando's page with a tentative release of 2011. It sounds a bit strange, and it wouldn't be the first time IMDB got their facts confused, but I'm still hoping that this is going to happen. For more information you have to have a IMDBPro membership, which I don't have, so if anyone here does, please go to IMDBPro and find out what else they saying about this project. I would really like to know.

I think that by 'In Development', they mean 'In Development HELL'. I'll be surprised if it gets made, at least with Orlando. I do wish it had happened, I loved the original and could definitely see him in the Alain Delon role.

No word if Orlando is still attached (I suspect not):

Another New John Hillcoat Project?

The Road director John Hillcoat has been in the news quite a bit recently. Last week we covered the news that Hillcoat would be directing a film called The Revenant next. He's also attached to a few other project, as revealed in a recent interview with NY Mag, but it was The Playlist who put two and two together and linked a Production Weekly listing for a remake of Jean-Pierre Melville's classic 1970 neo-noir Le Cercle Rouge (which translates to The Red Circle) to Hillcoat's statements about being attached to "another contemporary thriller, crime thriller, set in Hong Kong and Macao." Well, we can add another project to Hillcoat's line-up.

According to Prod Weekly, an offer is out to Hillcoat to direct The Red Circle remake and it sounds like he's accepted. I guess the locations have changed in the remake in Steve Knight's script, because Le Cercle Rouge is a heist film that takes place in Paris. This remake has been gestating for a while, one time with John Woo directing, then with Johnnie To, who even had Liam Neeson, Chow Yun-Fat, Orlando Bloom and Tim Roth attached to star. Obviously people move on from projects and it sounds like Le Cercle Rouge has ended up in Hillcoat's hands and it's something he'll direct down the line after The Revenant or whatever he does next.

For those unfamiliar with Melville's Le Cercle Rouge, the film is about an aristocratic thief who is released from prison the same day a murderer has escaped the custody of a police superintendent. The thief ends up robbing his mob boss and enlisting the help of the murderer and an ex-police sharpshooter for a jewel heist. Meanwhile, the mob boss persuades a nightclub owner and a pimp to help him trap the thieves, while the police officer is also looking to apprehend the convict. Sounds like a great, twisted heist film and I'd love to see a talented up-and-coming director like Hillcoat tackle this. We'll keep you updated on anything we hear.

I hope Orlando is still going to be in this film, although I still see it even if he's not in it. It sounds like a really fun film!

Sounds like there is reasonable doubt in the air about this project. Pity! I am really waiting for some Orlando screen time. It is summer (well, almost) and I need my Orlando fix. :unsure: Quickly, put that KoH DVD on.

Napasha

The Le Cercle Rouge remake is resurfacing with news of a new director - Jaume Collet-Serra.

Back in 2004 John Woo was attached to direct the remake of Jean-Pierre Melville's 1970 film Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle). Then Johnnie To was preparing to direct and even lined up Orlando Bloom to star and there was talk of Chow Yun-fat, Liam Neeson and one of the original film's stars, Alain Delon, to co-star. When that fell through it was John Hillcoat's (The Proposition, The Road) turn. Now it moves to the hands of Jaume Collet-Serra, director of this weekend's new release Unknown (my review here).

The action thriller is being scripted by Eastern Promises scribe Steven Knight. The story is centered on a thief who is released from prison the same day a murderer escapes police custody. The outlaws pair up and commit a heist as a relentless cop closes in. Word is the remake will be moved from the original film's France origins and be set in Hong Kong.<snip>

Other than the director and scribe, no other announcements.

The script is the same one that John Woo was working and the film is still at Working Title Films.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Orlando, Liam and Chow-Yon Fat are still attached to this because I would love to see them working together again. :)

Thank you Jill for the update. :hug:

Kim

Keeping my fingers crossed that Orlando, Liam and Chow-Yon Fat are still attached to this because I would love to see them working together again. :)

I agree with you Kim and keep my fingers crossed, too. Thank you so much, Jill, for the news update.

Me three on the crossed fingers for Orlando, Liam and Chow Yun-fat. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Jill.

Sorry to say I'm on the fence about this one. When I read the full article I see that the new director was the director of Paris Hilton's epic House Of Wax. I'm trying to not let this cloud my judgement, because Peter Jackson was noted for such things as Brain Dead, and Meet The Feebles before LOTR. It's just been in limbo so long, I don't have much hope of the original cast still being available.

While we're waiting for word on this remake, the original has been released on Blu-Ray. Might that spur on some interest in a remake?

Mention of The Red Circle today, buried in a Collider story about another film project. The director, Jaume , was mentioned as a potential director for the "300" sequel, Xerxes, and includes The Red Circle on his To Do list.

<snip>

Over on Collet-Serra's side of things, his attention from Warner Bros. can probably be attributed in large part to the solid box-office performance of Liam Neeson's mystery/thriller Unknown (which he directed for the studio). He is also attached to direct the reinterpreted Bram Stoker's Dracula pic, Harker, for WB and the Le Cercle Rouge remake, Red Circle, for Working Title and StudioCanal.

<snip>

Still in Development Hell then.

Still in Development Hell then.

Thank you for this news Jill. I live in hope, remembering that 'all good things come to those who wait.'