ka-Bloom.org Forum

The Red Circle

Jan

Storming into Cannes with an ever-more muscular international slate and standout financial results, Gallic mini-major StudioCanal has announced that it will be teaming with Neal Moritz's L.A.-based Original Films to reboot "Cliffhanger."

StudioCanal has international production relationships with a slew of high-profile companies: Original, Montecito (on "Chloe"), Spyglass (the Charlize Theron-starrer "The Tourist"), John Woo and Terence Chang's Lion Rock Prods. (for Kim Jee-woon's "Max and the Junkmen") and Media Asia -- where it co-finances Johnnie To's $40 million "The Red Circle," from a script by "Eastern Promises" director Steve Knight.

"Circle" begins to shoot in early fall, Courson said

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=fe.003577&cs=1

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much Elena for the information! :hug: So I guess this means Orlando will be the doing The Red Circle right after The Cross. He has definitely been one very busy guy and it looks like that is going to continue. :cheer2:

Kim

Oh please, please! :timeout:. With all the on-set pictures we're having from him this year I can only imagine how it all will be when the movies get released (if that's the right concept, I'm just hopeless with all the media thing). My heart will stop for so much big screen Orlando, big screen bad boy Orlando will just finish me. But what sweet way to go.

Stardust.

(Sorry, my inner fan girl couldn't help herself :sigh:)

Director Johnnie To has given The Hollywood Reporter an interview/Q&A while in Cannes with his Vengeance film:

<snip>THR: You are also known for working on many projects at the same time. Yet quite recently there was a year when you didn't have a camera in your hands. What happened?

To: Reputations linger. I haven't really been like that in the past three years and I don't want to work on multiple projects. I will aim to set my schedule better in the future. Actually, after completing "Sparrow," there was a 12-month period before I started "Vengeance." In that time I was very busy developing the script for "Red Circle."

THR: Early preparations started on "Red Circle" and then stopped. Is the picture ever going to happen?

To: It needs time. I'm not satisfied with the script and if I'm not satisfied nobody else is going to be. But it is absolutely one of my priorities as you can see (points to the wall where script notes are plastered.) "Death of a Hostage," which is a Hong Kong production through Media Asia, is probably what I'll shoot next. Then, hopefully, "Red Circle." <snip>

Straight from Johnnie To's mouth.

Thank you Jill for the latest update! :hug:

I like the part about how he has the script for The Red Circle plastered all over his walls! So this movie will definitely happen eventually! :cheer2:

Kim

Great news! What about the cast Mr. To? :hmmm: I hope the cast stays the same and that we would hear from Orlando's camp if he truly is attached to this film. I'm glad to know that the project is still moving forward. Just imagine all the set pics we're getting so far this year. :smoke:

I'm not so worried about the "Then, hopefully, Red Circle" part as much as the hopefully Orlando will still be part of the project. It's good to hear that it's going to eventually happen, but it would be even better to hear that it will eventually happen with Orlando along for the ride. It sounds like such a good story.

Thanks for the news HS!

~Mae

Thanks for the news, HeySailor.

It's good to hear that this project is still in the works but, of course, there are no guarantees that Orlando will be still attached. I suppose it will depend on what else he has lined up around the same time, and also whether he still fits To's vision for the movie when casting and the script are finalised.

We shall see.

I'm not so worried about the "Then, hopefully, Red Circle" part as much as the hopefully Orlando will still be part of the project. It's good to hear that it's going to eventually happen, but it would be even better to hear that it will eventually happen with Orlando along for the ride. It sounds like such a good story.

I second that remark.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, HeySailor.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Netflix to add Le Circle Rouge to my queue, and found out it is now available to watch online! Guess I'll finish dinner then watch it.

Even if Orlando doesn't end up being associated with the remake, I really like the original.

Even if Orlando doesn't end up being associated with the remake, I really like the original.

I agree. Alain Delon is not bad either. He was probably in his middle 30's and so Orlando. :smoke:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Found this article: Canadian Press dated August 5th. Nothing new, just confirmation that script problems continue:

To also revealed that his earlier-announced English-language remake of the 1970 French crime thriller "The Red Circle" has been delayed because of differences with its producers over the script.

I think I'm going to be optimistic and take this as a good sign. If the director and producers are arguing about the direction of the script then they both care enough about the project to make sure it's done right. The director may win some battles and the producers may win some battles but I think the final script may end up being the real winner.

I'm whistling into the wind. Anyone care to join me? :whistle:

I think I will join you, Lovely Pride and say I agree with what you said. After all don't they say that great things come to those who wait and we have all been doing that including Orlando. I also hope it gets done because I would love to see Orlando take on this role and also get to see him work with Chow Yun-Fat and Liam Neeson again, that's if they are still a part of this project.

Thank you Jules for the update. :hug:

Kim

• 1 month later...

Johnnie To was interviewed at the TIFF. He makes no specific mention of The Red Circle and makes only a vague reference to wanting to work with Orlando, so this project really sounds on the back burner. I could easily be wrong though! :)

TIFF Interview with Johnny To

Q: Do you have a wish list of Hollywood actors you'd like to work with?

A: I like the classic actors like Jack Nicholson and Robert DeNiro. I recently met with Orlando Bloom and Clive Owen and I think that they're interesting actors and I would like to work with them.