ka-Bloom.org Forum

Orlando visits children in Nepal on UNICEF tour

rebecca

I just wanted to post in here that I have made a video about Orlando and his trip to UNICEF as well as the other charities he is actively involved in. I hope everyone goes over to my thread in the Music video section and see it. Feel free to leave comments.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some additional (absolutely darling) footage of Orlando's visit to Nepal at the Unicef Italia site. Here is a direct link to the QuickTime version. I'm sure we'll have it in other downloadable formats soon, once our video gurus are awake. Me? That's not my department. :lol:

Thank-you so much for that link, Geri. Maybe I'm just in a tender, vulnerable place tonight, but I found this incredibly moving. Playing with the baby, reading in the skit with the blind girls - God, I'm just a weepy mess. But a happy one! What a bright spirit he is. :heart:

ETA: I had to view it in Internet Explorer - it didn't show up in Firefox.

Thank you Geri for this wonderful, lovely, sweet, great video. :hug:

Orlando is so sweet. He is so noble. He is pure love.

A big heart, a pure soul, a marvellous and witty mind.

More beautiful inside than outside. That is why we love him so much! :throb:

Serenity, I think Mayfrayn will translate it better than I would do. If not, I'll do my best. :wink2: :high5:

:throb: brigitte

Serenity, here you are.

From November 30 to December 9, 2007, the actor Orlando Bloom was in Nepal visiting the project that Unicef finances in the West of the country.

Nepal is recovering from a 10 years civil war. This war caused 13.000 deaths, prevented the supply of basic essentials and slowed down the development of the country.

Malnutrition is the main cause of death for 60% of babies, 51% are undernourished and 48% underweight.

In the last 10 years, infant mortality has decreased: 281 deaths/100.000 newborn babies per day instead of 539.

This infant mortality reduction has given Nepal the possibility to be on the right track to reach the development aims for the millennium. (Infant and mother's mortality).

Italian Edition from Unicef Italia.

More or less. :blush:Mayfrayn, feel free to add, modify, etc. :wink2:

Serenity, here you are.

From November 30 to December 9, 2007, the actor Orlando Bloom was in Nepal visiting the project that Unicef finances in the west of the country.

Nepal is recovering from a 10 years civil war. This war caused 13.000 deaths, prevented the supply of basic essentials and slowed down the development of the country.

Malnutrition is the main cause of death for 60% of babies, 51% are undernourished and 48% underweight.

In the last 10 years, infant mortality has decreased: 281 deaths/100.000 newborn babies per day instead of 539.

This infant mortality reduction has given Nepal the possibility to be on the right track to reach the development aims for the millennium. (Infant and mother's mortality).

Italian Edition from Unicef Italia.

More or less. :blush:Mayfrayn, feel free to add, modify, etc. :wink2:

Goldi, your translate is perfect!!

You know Italian language very good!!

• 7 months later...

From UNICEF, with the full article here

KATHMANDU, Nepal, 23 September 2008 – ‘Saathi Sanga Manka Koora’ (Chatting with My Best Friend), a radio programme produced by a team of young professionals from the non-governmental organization Equal Access Nepal, has won the 2008 International Children's Day for Broadcasting (ICDB) regional award for South Asia.

Targeted at teenagers and young adults, the ‘edutainment’ programme was initiated by UNICEF in 2001 in Nepal and is now being broadcast every week over the national radio network and 45 other local FM stations with UNICEF and USAID support.

Listenership has grown enormously in the past seven years. Every week, about 6.5 million young people from Nepal and beyond tune in to listen to the hour-long programme of songs, drama and youthful banter, with a contemporary approach to serious issues such as HIV/AIDS.

The programme has liberated children and adolescents too shy to talk about such topics. It has also provided a forum for an exchange of information and knowledge among young people on issues that really interest them.

"Our winning entry was the programme that we aired in early December 2007," says co-host Sangita Budathoki. "The one-hour programme with its usual segments of chat, drama, songs, letters and information revolved around the ICDB theme of ‘The world we want’. The message ... was that young people can play a big role in ensuring that children get the world they wanted and deserved.”

The drama featured Hollywood star Orlando Bloom, who was then on a trip to see UNICEF's programmes in Nepal.

"The children wrote a play about their problems, and gave Orlando a role to give a tip to the children on how things could be solved if everyone worked together," said Sangita. "Orlando was also involved in a discussion programme with the children where he asked them what they envisioned for themselves in the future. The answers given by the boys and girls formed the bulk of the ICDB special programme."

This is not the first taste of international recognition for Equal Access and Saathi Sanga Manka Koora. In November 2007, the programme was also honoured with the Global Junior Challenge Award by Italian President Giorgio Napolitano at the Presidential Palace in Rome.

"Studies have repeatedly shown that 'Saathi Sanga Manka Koora' is the most popular radio programme for young people in the country today," says Country Director for Equal Access Nepal Nirmal Rijal. "What started as a programme to equip young people with life skills for adopting safe behaviour has expanded and grown to deal with a whole spectrum of issues that concern Nepali adolescents and youth."

Congrats. to the children for their efforts and winning the award. I think its terrific that they have their own weekly forum to cover issues important to them. It was great to hear that Orlando was involved in one of their episodes; I would love to hear the show. He is always so good interacting with kids. Thanks, Christine.

Thank you Christine for bringing this over! :hug: Congratulations to the children on winning that great award! :cheer2:

I definitely remember Orlando taking part in the play when he was there last year but I didn't know about the other programme he participated in, once again he shows how much he cares about children and wanting to make the world a better place for them. :wub:

Kim

• 5 months later...

And here is another pic of Orlando in Nepal, and a wonderful article about his visit:

2aaef41.jpg

With worldwide critically acclaimed film like the pirates of the Caribbean, lord of the rings, kingdom of heaven, Elizabethan town and more ; an ardent viewer of English movies will surely remember the Man who has graced the silver screen; popular among young people worldwide for his acting abilities and his looks, Orlando Bloom. Orlando bloom had come in a 4 days special visit to Nepal on the invitation of Unicef in Nepal on the first week of December in order to meet the children of Nepal and share his experiences with them. My happiness knew no bounds when I was informed that I too was going to Pokhra with the representative of Unicef to meet this famous Hollywood celebrity. My mind was bogged with questions I was going to ask and the anticipation of the experience i would have had really got on my nerves to sum it all I was ultra exited. The urge to meet the Hollywood celebrity was heightening with time as I stood with John Britain of Unicef as we chatted with the visually impaired children from the " ( Blind ) Saathi Sanga Man Ka Kura club " of Amar Singh Secondary School of Kaski, Pokhra. As I stood watching the preparations being done by the children's to welcome our special guest; I came to know that Bloom too was given a special part in a drama being written by the children's themselves. As I stood wondering whether Bloom would easily accept to play the part being given to him, Orlando bloom along with the representatives from Unicef walked in smeared in red color powder and heavily donned in garlands made of Marigold. As he listened to the welcome song sung by the children of the club with interest the politeness in which he presented himself made me feel that "Orlando Bloom was a good person, good at heart". In the interaction between the children and Orlando Bloom after the drama which centered on the issue of menstruation and the problems they had to face, Bloom answered the children's query stating that ' they had his full fledged support and he supported their cause and each and everyone had the right to speak about things which really concerned themselves'. As Orlando bloom listened to the children's who shared their experiences he seemed relaxed and overjoyed to be a part of the children's small world. When asked what type of world he would like to see for the children? Bloom answered by saying " a beautiful place filled with balloons, where there are majestic seas and beautiful waterfalls, a place where everyone's wish is fulfilled, a place where children's would be happy as the stars always sparking brightly" his answer made me cry simply because his simple answer reflected the needs and aspirations of today's children who really wanted " A life filled with happiness". When I finally got to talk to him I was in cloud nine simply because he was so interested to talk about me and my work. As he feel asleep on the table I watched his tired face; as innocent as a child. I looked at him and wondered "A famous celebrity could have such a kind heart ", I looked at Orlando blooms kind, patient face and smiled as I really admired Bloom who apart his status could so easily get along with ordinary people like us making everyone of us feel special. By Sangita Budhathoki

http://www.ssmk.org/node/157

This is Orlando. Nothing else to say

Elena, thank you so much for posting and finding this wonderful picture! :hug:

It is definitely one I have not seen before and he looks so happy there, you can tell he is in his element when he is helping children. :wub:

Kim