ka-Bloom.org Forum

Orlando visits children in Nepal on UNICEF tour

rebecca

From UNICEF

Orlando Bloom visits UNICEF programmes for children in Nepal

UNICEF_Nepal120307-01.jpg

© UNICEF/HQ07-2007/Sokol

Orlando Bloom greets a young child on his visit to a village in Nepal.

By Rupa Joshi

KASKI AND CHITWAN DISTRICTS, Nepal, 10 January 2008 – Another Hollywood movie star might feel strange in a remote and impoverished area of Nepal, yet actor Orlando Bloom seemed perfectly at ease.

A recent UNICEF-supported visit to Nepal took Mr. Bloom on a four-day journey to various programme sites in the western districts of Kaski and Chitwan.

Accompanying Mr. Bloom on the trip were UNICEF Regional Director Dan Toole and UNICEF Representative in Nepal Gillian Mellsop. Besides touring UNICEF programmes, he visited Chitwan National Park and Lumbini, the birthplace of Lord Buddha.

UNICEF_Nepal120307-02.jpg

© UNICEF/HQ07-2007/Sokol

Women in Kalika Village welcomed Mr. Bloom by smearing his forehead with red ‘tika’ and putting garlands of flowers around his neck.

A village shares success stories

In Kalika Village, Mr. Bloom’s forehead was smeared red with the ‘tika’ with which local women had welcomed him, and he wore garlands of flowers they had given him upon his arrival with the other guests from UNICEF.

“There was a time when we could not walk alone on that hillside, where the villagers used to throw their dead babies,” one village resident told the visitors. “They said their spirits used to haunt the hills. Not any more. Over the years, with improved health, there are no dead babies being thrown over the ridge. And no more spirits wandering these hillsides.”

“Look at the comparative indicators of the last six years,” added village facilitator Chali Subedi. “Things have taken a turn for the better since the men and women got organized.”

Mr. Subedi directed the guests’ attention to a chart on the wall of a village home. “Six years ago only 84 per cent of school-going age children were enrolled in schools,” he said. “Now every boy and girl goes to school. Previously only 25 per cent of the households were taking iodized salt [to prevent iodine deficiency disorder]. The figure now has increased to 38 per cent. Similarly women's workload has decreased from 17 hours per day to 14 hours a day.”

UNICEF_Nepal120307-03.jpg

© UNICEF/HQ07-2007/Sokol

Mr. Bloom visited a school in the Himalayan Mountains of Nepal, where he got involved in a friendly battle of balloons and bubbles.

‘Talk about your problems’

The members of a children’s club at a local school in the hills of Pumdi Bhumdi had a different success story to narrate to Mr. Bloom. As the children explained, they have been instrumental in promoting safe hygiene and sanitation practices in their village.

In Pokhara Village, Mr. Bloom mingled with over three dozen blind girls and boys. He also played a small role in a mini-drama the children were recording that day for the UNICEF-supported radio programme ‘Saathi Sanga Manka Kura’ (Chatting with My Best Friend).

The drama dealt with the plight faced by girls in a hostel without a female warden. Mr. Bloom played the role of a guest who tries to offer the girls advice. “Talk about your problems,” he said, consulting the script provided by the children. “There’s no need to feel shy. It’s always good to talk about issues that concern you.”

Later, sitting cross-legged in the yard with children surrounding him, Mr. Bloom learned more about their studies, their ambitions and their world. “I may be disabled, and might need assistance from others for everything I do,” 10th-grader Sujan Dhakal told him. “Yet the world I see for myself is one where I can be of assistance to others and work for the betterment of my society and my country.

(Formatting and picture placement by Jan)

Original article here.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the article and saw the wonderful pictures of Orlando from his UNICEF tour in Nepal and I am so proud of him and full emotion right now. :throb: He is so wonderful with the children and reading the different stories brought tears to my eyes. :quiver:

Thank you so much Jane for bringing this over, once again he has proven to us just how big his heart is and how he cares about the world around him, he is truly an inspiration! :iheart:

Kim

Thank you for this, Jane.

That last picture of him especially with the bubblegun and balloons just melts my heart, but the article itself breaks my heart. Once again, Orlando strives to highlight the poverty and hardships that go on in this unbalanced world.

Rona XXX

I can't wait to see an upsized version of the picture of Orlando kissing the baby. It already has me giddy, as does his natural compassion and the energy of heart, soul and body he expends to bring light to the world and share the light of others.

Thanks, Jane, for this wonderful article.

In our ongoing efforts to bring you all the news, we posted it twice! From Jan's post:

You'd have to be living under a rock (as an Orlando fan) to not know that Orlando was in Nepal in December with UNICEF. Hold on to your heart. :iheart:

I'm all farklempt. :blow: Talk amongst yourselves.

God bless him. :myuah: That's the cutest, sweetest thing ever. Aside from the fact that he's doing something good for someone else again, I love the fact that he looks like the younger, more free and uninhibited Orlando in these pictures - like a little kid again from the LotR days. :sigh:

Thanks, Jane!

It's wonderful to see Orlando looking positively radient and healthy laughing and playing with the children in the Nepal village. Thank you, Jane, for bringing this article to our attention. :wub:

With no publicity and no fanfare (unlike some "stars" we won't name) Orlando continues on his charitable efforts around the world to bring joy and hope-- this time via UNICEF -- to children in poverty. God bless him. :hug:

:blow::cry: This really touches my heart, I've been one who has always been interested in UNICEF and I love hearing about all the great things people do with it too. To see Orlando taking a part in this organization really warms my heart and makes me love him even more. Thanks for bringing this over Jane. :hug:

:heart:

~Kit-Kat~

In Pokhara Village, Mr. Bloom mingled with over three dozen blind girls and boys.
You know they had to have felt his warmth, even without seeing his face. It's just the vibe he gives off. I like the comment at the beginning of the article saying that Orlando 'seemed perfectly at ease'. :wub:

Many thanks for this wonderful article!

I knew he had been to Nepal, but I had no idea he was doing all this. He looks so much happier here than he has in many of his "public" appearances. It comes as no surprise that he lends more than just his name to organizations such as this. My prayer for him has always been stay true to himself and don't let the "suits" change who he is. I don't think there's any fear of that after reading these articles. Go Orlando! You never disappoint us. :iheart:

Thank you Geri for the link to the Getty Images pictures. :iheart: I sure hope someone will be able to get these. I love the ones with him walking with the little girl and playing with the children. :wub: I also noticed at the top of the article it says International Ambassador for UNICEF! They couldn't have gotten a better one!

Kim

Oh, my gosh! These images are some of the best I have ever seen of Orlando. Seeing him interacting with the children is so beautiful. Orlando seems totally engrossed in the little ones activities. I "want" the Getty image of him walking and holding the little boy's hand. Thank you so much for bringing them to us!

God bless him. :myuah: That's the cutest, sweetest thing ever. Aside from the fact that he's doing something good for someone else again, I love the fact that he looks like the younger, more free and uninhibited Orlando in these pictures - like a little kid again from the LotR days. :sigh:

Thanks, Jane!

I had the same thought as I looked at the pictures, Sparkles.

What a great experience it must have been for him. I know I say it often, but Orlando has such a generous and loving spirt. :iheart:

Thanks for bringing this over!