LenaLove

Rumour: Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle)

Orlando is rumoured to be in talks with Hong Kong director Johnny To for a starring role in a remake of the 1970 French movie Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle), which starred Alain Delon and Yves Montand. The rumour speculates that it is Delon's role that Orlando is looking into, that of a dashing and handsome master thief.

The original movie, a thriller, is available at Amazon and has the following synopsis:

Master thief Corey (Alain Delon) is fresh out of prison. But instead of toeing the line of law-abiding freedom, he finds his steps leading back to the shadowy world of crime, crossing paths with a notorious escapee (Gian Maria Volonté) and an alcoholic ex-cop (Yves Montand). As the unlikely trio plots a heist against impossible odds, their trail is pursued by a relentless inspector (André Bourvil), and fate begins to seal their destinies. Taking its title from Buddhist lore, Jean-Pierre Melville’s Le Cercle rouge combines honorable anti-heroes, coolly atmospheric cinematography, and breathtaking set pieces to create a masterpiece of crime cinema.

Rona XXX

Yes please! :w00t:

Not that I mind him taking off some well-deserved time, but.. I'm kind of starting to miss him!

Not that I mind him taking off some well-deserved time, but.. I'm kind of starting to miss him!
Kind of? Keep in mind that not everyone got to go to see a certain play this summer. I really miss him! :weep:

I want him to get some rest, especially if he needs it. I'm sure running from all those paps is exhausting, :eek: but I selfishly would love him to be making another movie. This one sounds interesting. :yess:

Thanks for letting us know of this exciting possibility, Rona.

:bellsholly: - Pam -

This one sounds interesting.

The more I read up on the original movie, the more I think "Yes, this is perfect for Orlando", Pam. It is classed as a thriller, but I found this comment from director John Woo, about the original motion picture worth mentioning:

"Le Cercle Rouge is a classic. Melville's (the original director) style moves with his actors as they deliver their soulful performances, and the romantic values of friendship expressed in this movie are hard to find today.”

There is no telling how To will interpret the screenplay, but I love the idea that the basic message of the film is around the friendship between the three central characters.

The title is a Buddhist reference, about honour and morality, friends sticking by one another and willing to do a little evil to do a greater good. Very deep. With or without Orlando, I have a feeling I am going to be seeing this movie.

:xmaswoof:

Thanks for this Rona. Of all the rumours we have seen these last few months Orlando's interest in this project seems credible. The original movie sounds excellent, and just the kind of project I would guess Orlando would like, so I hope this one comes to fruition.

I wonder if the writers' strike is affecting development of the screenplay.

Thanks again!

Thank you, Rona. Sounds exciting. :w00t: And yes, we do miss him, don't we? :)

:xmassidi: :xmaswoof:

I've seen at least the first half of the original and it was interesting. I remember something about a train.

Alain Delon is a great actor and I think I can see Orlando stepping into a role that he played once. Has anyone else seen Le Samourai? It's another great Alain Delon/Melville movie.

Yes, please!

I love the original movie and I can absolutely imagine Orlando taking over Alain Delon's role.

Yes, I wish him his well deserved rest, but if this was going to happen it would be fantastic.

:snowman5: ~Elisabeth~

Rona, thank you for the information. :iheart:

It would be great! :hohoho:

:advent: brigitte

Jan found this article at VarietyAsianOnline.com.

Studio Canal plans Johnnie To's English Breakout

Written by Patrick Frater

Tuesday, 13 February 2007

BERLIN -- Several of Asia's top helmers are getting Frenchified.

StudioCanal is tuning up a pic touted as Hong Kong helmer Johnnie To's English-language breakout, plus a three-picture thriller collection. All four are remakes of French properties in StudioCanal's library.

<snip>

Helming duties on "Red Circle" are now to be taken up by To, who is fine-tuning the screenplay.

"He is already a master. But we are confident that this truly international project is the movie that will take Johnnie To to a new level of awareness around the world," StudioCanal chief Frederic Sichler said.

"Red Circle" was set up by "Rush Hour" producer Arthur Sarkissian, who personally acquired remake rights from the Melville estate several years ago and previously envisaged "Rush Hour" helmer Brett Ratner as director.

Ratner will now take an exec producer credit on the To-helmed pic, which will lense this summer.

"We are going to make a man's film," Sarkissian said from the set of "Rush Hour 3." Casting will begin in a month or so.

Credited screenwriters for "Red Circle" are Jeff Pinkner and Chap Taylor.

<snip>

Alain Delon, iconic star of numerous French thrillers including "Le Cercle Rouge," recently announced on TV that he will appear in To's "Red Circle," but StudioCanal, Sarkissian and To's spokesman in Hong Kong all said that no commitment exists.

"Johnnie agreed that they would like to work together, but only when they have the right material," To's spokesman said. "If Alain comes on board it has to be a real role, not just some cameo," Sarkissian said.

Thank you, Faye and Jan. I must admit I have never heard of Johnny To until now, so I am going to have to familiarise myself with his work.

*crosses fingers*

This is terrific news ! Thanks for bringing it to us, Rona. :hug:

I love the idea of Orlando making a movie for To in Hong Cong. :wub:

In my opinion, Orlando doesn't need Hollywood -- he has established a world-wide fandom and it would be great to see him making movies in China, Japan, India, Asia and Europe.

I can't wait ! :cheer2:

Thanks for bringing this over.

I'm excited about the prospect. I've actually heard of John To's work. If the role comes to fruition it sounds like something Orlando would thoroughly enjoy sinking his teeth into.

*fingers crossed*

Thank you Rona, Faye and Jan for bringing this over! :iheart: I noticed StudioCanal is involved in this and I just watched Ned Kelly which StudioCanal was also involved in, I remember seeing their logo at the beginning of the movie. I am also hoping this rumor turns out to be true and it sounds like it would be shown here in the U.S. and if Orlando is in this I will definitely go see it! It will also be great to see him take on a role like this, something completely different that shows his talent. :cheer2:

Kim

I don't want to be the eternal negative minded person, but I am not sure I fancy remakes. Especially if the movie was really good. But I want to see Orlando in something not so Hollywood-like. And some of you said mr. To is a good director, didn't you? Well, my fingers are crossed for Orlando to be in that role. After all, who is to be a better replacement to mr. Delon but our very own mr. Bloom!

Thanks Rona for the info and Jan and CaliMom for the additional article!

On the Associated Press wire this morning:

HK director Johnnie To, Orlando Bloom discuss possible collaboration, assistant says

© AP

2007-12-13

HONG KONG (AP) - Famed Hong Kong director Johnnie To met with Lord of the Rings star Orlando Bloom recently to discuss a possible collaboration, To's assistant said Thursday.

The assistant, Ding Yuin-shan, said the British actor arrived in Hong Kong Tuesday and left Thursday.

Bloom met with To several times during his stay and the two discussed shooting a movie together, Ding said, declining to identify any specific projects. "They hope they can work on a project together", Ding said.

Hong Kong newspaper Apple Daily Thursday ran a photo of the two together, which the newspaper said was taken when To accompanied Bloom back to his hotel.

Publicists for Bloom didn't immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press seeking the actor's comment on the meetings with To.

To is known for his stylish gangster thrillers. His credits include Election, Election 2, Exiled and Mad Detective, which was shortlisted for the top Golden Lion Prize at the Venice Film Festival earlier this year.

Bloom's credits include the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.

Well, this all sounds really interesting. I will keep my fingers crossed that something comes to fruition.

Thanks, Rona, Faye and Jan!

Jules

Thank you for posting the article, Jan. I REALLY hope this comes to fruition. This is DEFINITELY a role Orlando can sink his teeth into! :hohoho:

:xmassidi: :xmaswoof:

I found this poster for the movie, Le Cercle Rouge, over on OL, posted by Mayfrayn, and couldn't get over the resemblance between Alain Delon and Orlando. :hott: It's scary.

th_71592_516AMYPH8BL__AA240__122_143lo.j

If looks were all that mattered, Orlando looks like a perfect fit for this role. :snoopy:

:santalight:

This sounds very promising. Thanks to all the enablers. :grouphug: We'll excitedly await developments.

Barbara

Oh I hope this is going to happen ! I've missed him so much. And, also, I've seen this movie ( a long time ago, I have to admit) and it's beautiful and captivating ! :ornsilver:

... After all, who is to be a better replacement to mr. Delon but our very own mr. Bloom!

Totally agree!

I grew up with Alain Delon. He was one of my favourite actors.

Thanks Rona, Jan and CaliMom!

:advent: brigitte

Thank you Jan for bringing over this article and Annabelle for sharing that poster from the original movie, the likeness between Alain Delon and Orlando is very eerie. :throb: Looking forward to future updates.

Kim

In my opinion, Orlando doesn't need Hollywood -- he has established a world-wide fandom and it would be great to see him making movies in China, Japan, India, Asia and Europe.
Annabelle, I totally agree with you and I always feel easier when Orlando is away from Hollywood. I can't really pinpoint why I think this way as my feelings on this are pretty complicated but words like respect, privacy and appreciation come to mind. I think this role would be a very interesting departure for Orlando as he certainly has the acting chops and charisma to carry this role.

I just checked out Alain Delon as I remember he was a very handsome man. Well, he is still very good looking at 72.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works out for our man! Don't we miss him?

:holly:

Charlie