TithenFeredir

PJ is Back On for the Hobbit!

Sorry if I boo-boo by posting this.

I went a-lurking over at TORn and found some guardedly good news.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...adlines-entnews

Eager to move ahead with "The Hobbit," New Line has quietly been trying to mend fences with "Rings" filmmaker Peter Jackson, who has sued the company over his share of profits from the first "Rings" films. When asked if it was true that company insiders had been in talks with Jackson's reps, Shaye replied, "Yes, that's a fair statement. Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way in 'The Hobbit.' "

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/1287702

Asked how hopeful he was of returning to New Zealand to play Gandalf in The Hobbit, Sir Ian was tactful.

"Oh, I think that's a question for another occasion but I'm seeing Fran and Peter Jackson this evening and no doubt we will talk about that and other matters.

"But I have no news for you."

A spat earlier this year resulted in New Line Cinema boss Bob Shaye saying Jackson would never direct The Hobbit.

But it seems relations may be thawing - the director himself is still keen, and so is the wizard.

"I'm a generally optimistic person," says Sir Ian.

For now he says he is just "thrilled" to be back in New Zealand.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4160162a1860.html

Peter Jackson may make The Hobbit after all, despite a financial battle with the studio that commissioned him to film The Lord of the Rings.

Bob Shaye, head of New Line Cinema, has told The Los Angeles Times that the studio - which Jackson has sued for profits from The Lord of the Rings trilogy - has been in talks with Jackson's representatives in a bid to mend fences and get him to direct The Hobbit.

"Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way in The Hobbit," Mr Shaye said.

He had previously labelled Jackson as "arrogant", while Jackson and partner Fran Walsh took the unusual step of issuing a long statement on the internet last year declaring that because of clashes with New Line they had "no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go".

British actor Sir Ian McKellen, who played the wizard Gandalf in the trilogy, is in Wellington to perform with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

At a news conference on Thursday, he said there was no doubt that a rumoured reprisal of his Gandalf role in a film version of The Hobbit would be discussed with Jackson and Walsh.

Jackson's spokesman said last night: "Peter and Fran have always wanted to do The Hobbit but whether that happens is yet to be decided."

One can hope.

~TF

Yes one certainly can. Thanks for bringing it over, Ruth.

Thanks, TF, for finding and posting. I won't get my hopes too high, but this is certainly promising news. *crossing my fingers*

Barbara

I am going to be cautiously optimistic. Peter has such a feel for Tolkien's characters and places, that any other director would have some huge shoes to fill. Especially after three hugely successful and amazing LoTR movies.

Promising development but I won't be holding my breath. It ain't over until the Fat Lady sings and The Hobbit has its premiere.

I'll certainly be among the hopeful. There just isn't anyone else capable of bringing the story to the screen in a way that will bring justice to the LotR films already done. Period.

Count me in too. I simply can't imagine anyone else making this film.

I'm of the opionion that no one but Peter Jackson could bring to the Hobbit Tolkiens world! After LOTR it just wouldn't work. Also, Sir Ian McKellen IS Gandalf, enough said!

I'm of the opionion that no one but Peter Jackson could bring to the Hobbit Tolkiens world! After LOTR it just wouldn't work. Also, Sir Ian McKellen IS Gandalf, enough said!

I have to agree with you Nezisme. There is no one else who could fill those shoes.

I also agree with you. No one else could to The Hobbit and do it right except Peter Jackson and no one else could play Gandalf like Sir Ian McKellen. I also want to take this a little further and say that no one can play Legolas except Orlando! And if New Line Cinema does the Hobbit without these three involved I probably won't go see it.

Kim

Thanks so much for providing us with this little piece of hope! I honestly think PJ is the best person to make The Hobbit and to give it to anyone else is insanity. Lets hope New Line see sense and get PJ on board as quickly as possible!

Deirdre x

Nezisme, you said exactly what I was thinking. Thank you!

Thanks, Ruth, for posting this. It made my day. :yahoo:

Beth 37

I have to agree with all of you! Peter Jackson IS the only director who could successfully bring the Hobbit book to the screen in the way it should be done. And, of course, Sir Ian Kellan IS Gandalf, no substitutes will do. I am sure hoping and praying that they can settle their dispute and get on with the project! Fans Await!!

Louise

Thanks TF for posting. I'm also in total agreement that the Hobbit should only be done with Peter Jackson directing and Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this happens.

Debbi

:2thumbs: Cool. Thank for the info TF . I'm with the others. I have my fingers crossed. If Peter and the original actors aren't involved there really isn't any point in doing it.

I haven't read The Hobbits yet, but from the way you all are talking, the story includes most of the characters from LOTR's - right ? Only earlier versions - right ?

If so, then of course Ian should play Gandalf, and Orlando, Legolas (or a predecessor of Legolas), and the original LOTR hobbits could easily play earlier versions of their ancestors. Maybe Viggo could appear in some form, along with Liv. Oh, now I am really getting carried away ! :teehee:

And count me as one with my fingers crossed for all of them to get together again under the direction of Peter Jackson ! :2thumbs:

I haven't read The Hobbits yet, but from the way you all are talking, the story includes most of the characters from LOTR's - right ? Only earlier versions - right ?

The Hobbit is actually a children's book, A LOT shorter that LOTR and much easier to read. You could probably finish it in a weekend. Chronologically it is the prequel to LOTR though I don't think the word "prequel" or even the idea of it existed when the book was written. Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins are major characters in it. Many of the other characters in LOTR would have been living at the time of the story, but are not included. Gimli's father, Gloin, is in The Hobbit, as is Legolas' father, Thranduil. (I hope that information is not considered spoilerish.)

Anyway, it's a really good story. If you read it you'll understand why so many people want to see PJ make the movie.

Cheers,

~TF

Adding to the intrigue, the head of New Line's Marketing Russell Schwartz was let go last week, replaced by someone from Fox TV marketing. When a studio is struggling, the marketing guy is the first to go. Next they take a look at their list of duds, their studio identity and audience niche. Until Hairspray, New Line's last big hit was the 2005 The Wedding Crashers. (The Last Mimsey was directed by Bob Shaye :zip: ).

Given NLs recent relationship with PJ, it sure ticked me off when I saw the trailer for the upcoming "The Golden Compass" and it was being pushed as the next LOTR. Sure, the trilogy potential is there in the book series but from what I saw of the trailer, I wasn't buying their alternate universe at all.

:hmmm: Did I mention that both Bob Shaye and co-chairman Michael Lynne's contracts are up for renewel next September? This gets more intersting by the month. New Line is owned by Time Warner, who may have some ideas of their own for the direction to be taken by NL. A change in the winds, sez I.

Thanks for the information, HS. I'm wondering how this scenario will ultimately play out. I'll be keeping a weather eye on the NL horizon.

As for "The Golden Compass," I was not overly impressed with the trailer. Daniel Craig is the only reason I'll be seeing it.

Barbara

Amen and double amen! I am also being cautiously hopeful. The Hobbit is what got me started into the Middle Earth. It was my English class reading assignment, and when I was done with it, wow. Pete is the only one who can bring Middle Earth to screen the way he did in LOTR films. This man has a unique understanding and passion for all things Middle Earth that no one else has.

Thanks for the info HS . I'll certainly be seeing the Golden Compass, as I not only adore the books, and am very attached to the main character Lyra. But I auditioned to play her.

Personally, I feel that NL would be blowing their biggest franchise if they let the Hobbit slip through their fingers. Hopefully they have a little more on the ball than that. But if they do, and the rights revert back to Saul Zaentz (isn't that right? He's the one that gets them next?) couldn't he hire PJ to make the movie? Or sell the rights to PJ to make the movie on his own? Or would it get too complicated?

Aliza (fingers crossed)

The Hollywood Reporter interviewed Robert Shaye and Michael Lynne at the gala celebrating 40 years of New Line. The "PJ" and "H" words never crossed their lips but here are their LOTR-related comments:

THR: Where do you see New Line's next big "Lord of the Rings"-type success story coming from?

Shaye: You shouldn't look in that direction. Every movie is sui generis. Obviously we have some big-budget tentpole pictures that are ready to be released like "The Golden Compass," or in our development pipeline, but we haven't shifted our business philosophy to start looking for more "Lord of the Rings." That was a once-in-a-lifetime situation, and the only thing we are proud of is that we've shown to the entertainment world and to our colleagues that the company is strong enough and broadly based enough and savvy enough to be able to produce and release three pictures of that magnitude and have the success that they had. If something comes up, we're ready to do it again.

Lynne: It's not a situation you can will to happen. Obviously, there's a financial legacy, but the other legacy is the capability that's been built up in this organization to undertake a project of that scale and to bring it to market in the way that our organization did. That's something that pays dividends for years and years.

THR: Are you still seeing benefits in terms of revenue from "Lord of the Rings?"

Lynne: It's one of the most important library pieces any company could have.

THR: So are you looking for more franchise packages? Clearly, "Compass" is a trilogy.

Shaye: It crosses our mind, but I wouldn't say that we're on a big game hunt to find more franchises. That's a dangerous and almost endgame kind of business plan. For a film that costs $150 million, it has to have the prospects to be a really big success just to justify the investment in it.

thanks you all for the news!

I've been waiting "The Hobbit" since 2003!! I hope NL will finnally give this project to Peter Jackson. He is the only director who could bring The Hobbit to screen. I've read the Hobbit and in my opinion it isn't so easy to bring it to screen(many battles, strange characters.etc)

While the New Liners didn't mention the "H" word at their anniversary bash, an update on The Hobbit is EW's cover story this week. Read at all at ew.com. Be sure to hit NEXT as this story is 5 pages long.