MovieImp

Rumour: Angels & Demons (aka DaVinci Code 2)

It would be a very good role for him to play, very different and very. well, "hot". Those of you who have read the book will know what I am talking about. Wink Wink.

Is this book slightly saucy Leia ? :hmmm:

Actually, I mean "hot" in the most literal way. Saucy? Sadly, no. He is - after all - a very religious man.

Personally Pam , I don't mid what he does. He should follow his heart. But if you want to know what I think he'll do then, I think he'll maybe take a break, possibly right until after Christmas, then I think he'll do another play, then maybe a movie after that. But that is just my opinion. :beatsme:

Besides I would love to see Orlando playing a part in Angels and Demons (which is a great book, by the way) I absolute agree with you Emily.

Firstly he should play a bad part in this story.

Secondly he really should take a long break for his own sake.

I'm not sure if a new play would be such a good choice then, after all the crazy attention he got about his actual play.

Maybe he should do the next movie first and after that another play.

Maybe.I guess we'll see soon. Whatever he does, I'm sure he'll be following his heart and his head. :2thumbs:

I've just finished re-reading Angels and Demons. I have this wonderful ability :blink: to be able to completely forget a plot after a year or so, and although I'd read A&D before DaVinci was made into a movie, I had forgotten most of it, true to form. Depending on how closely they keep to the book, the role of the "young" camerlengo, Carlo Ventresca, could be a very juicy one. I don't think the green eyes and sturdy build have a whole lot to do with the story, only that the character is younger than is "normal" for a man in his position. There's a challenging arc in that part and it's the most colorful in the whole story (providing it's not re-designed for the film, which happens a lot :( ). If that were a role offered to Orlando, it would be a lovely departure from what he's done and quite a feather in his cap to pull it off well. The only other part in the book that might remotely fit him is Gunther Glick, the young BBC reporter . I hope that's not what's on offer.

About DaVinci Code . I thought the book was fascinating - it's what lead me to read A&D the first time. The movie was different - disappointingly so for many people who had loved the book. I recently watched the film again and, further away from the riveting book, it wasn't so terrible, just different. It could have been better with someone else in the Langford role, I thought. Tom Hanks is a good actor, but I though he lacked the pizazz of someone with more . uh . sex appeal. My personal choice, as I "cast" the movie while reading the book, would have been Russell Crowe. I think he'd have been a better choice. Audrey Tatou had a lot of critics but I thought she was very good. I have a hard time imagining Gisele Bundchen as Vittoria, though. I thought she was a model - can she act?

With only a couple weeks left for In Celebration, perhaps we'll hear some news soon about Orlando's next project.

I've just finished reading A&D too - but I think I differ from most here, in that I really hope Orlando won't be in a film of it!

I just can't see this book making a good film - too much exposition, too many of the revelations come from internal character thought processes, and the plot is even more ludicrous than Da Vinci Code. And I just can't see Orlando in the role of the camerlengo.

That's just my opinion!

Kathryn.

I've just finished reading A&D too - but I think I differ from most here, in that I really hope Orlando won't be in a film of it!

I just can't see this book making a good film - too much exposition, too many of the revelations come from internal character thought processes, and the plot is even more ludicrous than Da Vinci Code. And I just can't see Orlando in the role of the camerlengo.

That's just my opinion!

Kathryn.

I see what you mean, Kathryn. I finished "Angels and Demons" a couple of weeks ago and really loved the book. Of course, the plot is completely far-fetched but I got over that quite easily and just went along for the ride.

I also was amused by the last-minute solving of each "clue." Each time Langdon has to come up with the location for the next "event"" (trying to remain spoiler-free here) it is as though a lightbulb goes on in his head, right at the last minute, of course. Once again, though, if you can get over that the book is still a great page-turner.

Whether it would make a good movie I just don't know. I need to see "The Da Vinci Code" to really understand what went wrong with that movie and how the book failed to translate to the big screen (according to the reviewers, of course). I can see how it is difficult, nigh on impossible, to convey the thought processes on screen and they are very much integral to the reader's enjoyment of the novel and to the progression of the plot. However, in the hands of the right director with a clever script, never say never I suppose.

I never have enough of Orlando. And seeing him in a new movie is something I can hardly wait for. On the other side, I would think that he needs to take some rest, preferably a long one, to recover from this hectic period he's just having.

I found the book very thrilling but I read it already some time ago and I can't really think about any character for Orlando. I guess I will have to reread it if this rumour is confirmed.

Any ways orlando is wise enough to make the right choice for himself.

Nath

I read this book a long time ago and did not care for the story. I really liked The DaVinci Code book, but was terribly disappointed in the movie. Usually if I like a book, I don't care for the movie because it doesn't live up to my expectations. I was surprised that I didn't like Angels and Demons because I liked the other book so much, but felt A & D was just too fantastical. Not sure that's the word I want but I just didn't buy into this story. If this is made into a movie, and if Orlando were offered a part and took it, of course I would go see it. But I'd rather see him in something that I don't have a preconceived idea about.

A&D has been fast-tracked and flying under the radar in its mad dash to beat the Writer's Guild Oct. 31 deadline. Variety had an update this morning. Briefly:

-Those involved are trying to finalize the script before that date and possible writer's strike.

-Columbia Pictures has announced a December 2008 release date.

-Filming is expected to start in Europe in February 2008.

-Casting has commenced. Tom Hanks will reprise his role. No other announcements yet.

-Akiva Goldsman, the screenwriter, turned A&D into a sequel for the studio deal after The DaVinci Code did so well at the Box Office(although it was written first-I didn't know that).

Thank you Jill for the update. :) The other day I just happen to catch the ending of the DaVinci Code and I couldn't help but think about the sequel and wondering what was happening with that and now I know.

I know there are some that didn't like the DaVinci Code but that ending when he finds the Holy Grail gets me every time I see it, I don't know why but it just does, the music, the way Tom Hanks acts that part out, it just makes me emotional. :quiver: You can call me nuts but that is what happens whenever that part comes on. :blush:

Kim

Thanks for the update!

Is it just me or is it a little weird to make a sequel movie of a prequel book? :blink:

I don't think I'd like Orlando in this movie, either. As much as I loved the books, I honestly didn't like the movie at all, althought Paul Bettany did a truly great job!

~Elisabeth~

Ooooh! very good news! Thank you for finding that for us! :hug:

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that Orlando is offered a role, any role would be great but the role of the camerlengo is by far the "hottest" AND he would get to play a mad, slightly psychotic bad guy!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the books, but wasn't too fond of the liberties taken with the first movie. Maybe the second movie will be better. In any event, if it has Orlando in it I will definitely be seeing it!

Thanks again!

:shiny:

JessiBear

Production of "Angels and Demons" has been postponed because of the writers' strike. From Variety:

Sony's "Angels & Demons" has become the first major casualty of the ongoing writers strike.

Studio said Friday that it is postponing production on the Tom Hanks starrer, which is a prequel to last year's megahit "The Da Vinci Code." Sources said the script, which was penned by "Da Vinci" scribe Akiva Goldsman, was rushed to meet the WGA's Nov. 1 deadline for reaching a new contract with producers, and came in with insurmountable problems. Furthermore, no cast had signed on beyond Hanks.

The Vatican-set thriller was scheduled to begin shooting in February, with Ron Howard at the helm. Studio had set a Christmas 2008 release date.

"While the filmmakers and the studio feel the screenplay is very strong, we do not believe it is the fully realized production draft required of this ambitious project," a Sony spokesperson said. "At this time, there is no new start date for 'Angels & Demons,' but we are setting a release date of May 15, 2009, and are hopeful to deliver the movie worldwide to theaters on that date. We do not expect any other film on our 2008 slate to be affected." Move is significant because it puts Hanks back in play to book one project before a potential SAG and DGA strike in June.

"No cast had signed on beyond Hanks."

"No cast had signed on beyond Hanks."

:hmmm: Wonder if that's good or bad news. I'd really love to see Orlando in another movie, and even more in a different role - as many of you said he would do a great camerlengo; and a bad boy is something quite different from all we've seen him play. And even more, I agree both The DaVinchi Code and A&D were great page turners (I haven't seen the DaVinchi movie), and they both seemed to me almost as if I read the narrator's description of a thriller. I mean there was just too much action in them. But that's just my opinion.

If I were to advise Orlando what to do next, I would tell him to play something small and unconventional, a role to make us wonder if it's really him. Like Colin Firth first looks playful in Valmont, and then the most proud and serious man ever as Mr Darsy. I want to see Orlando as a wacko, or gay, or a grug-dealer, or something that would really make him shine.

Sorry I talk too much, I still hope he'll do the camerlengo and soon!

I saw on teletext the other day that Ewan McGregor had signed on to "Angels and Demons" as an aide to the Pope. I can't see four lead roles in there, so if this is true and its often not, then it looks like this is another didn't work out or just a rumour for Orlando.

I have to say having tried to read "Angels and Demons" I'm relieved. My sister in law really loves these books and they are really popular so I know I'm the odd one out in not liking it. The heroine is a brilliant scientist, raised by a priest, looks like a supermodel, walks around in shorts and is a yoga expert? Has Dan Brown ever met a real woman do you think? The plot is preposterous, the twists are so weak they are barely plot bends and the characters have less depth than Snoopy. Its morally bankrupt, equivocation is the fastest route to hell as any Catholic priest would know! Its intellectually insulting, representing all that is glib and facile in todays Western Culture. On the whole I didn't like it.

Of course if it had been a film with Orlando in it, or if it turns out he does end up being in it, I would have to do a quick reappraisal. :shiny: I'm sure then I would have come to love it as a thumping good thriller, taking in wide range of scientific and ethical problems across breathtaking backdrops with fascinating and strange characters.

I am after all totally biased.

tatoola, that was a brilliant turn around!

The heroine is a brilliant scientist, raised by a priest, looks like a supermodel, walks around in shorts and is a yoga expert? Has Dan Brown ever met a real woman do you think?

Good question. Based on this alone I would have to think twice about reading the book.

I read the Da Vinci code and enjoyed it OK, and then tried one of his other books and couldn't get through it. I tend to be sympathetic to the people who claim Dan Brown stole their idea, though I have no basis for that opinion other than being underwhelmed by one of his books. I haven't tried to read Angels and Demons and I'm confirmed in that idea by your critique, Tatoola. Orlando seems to have better taste in his movie roles, but you never can tell.

Just my 2c.

Aliza