ka-Bloom.org Forum

ka-Bloomie reviews - In Celebration

rebecca

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew he'd be awesome! I'm proud of you Orlando! :clap:

Thanks Rebecca for calling Kat to get the gossip. He cries? Oh, no. I find it hard enough not to cry when I'm at the cinema and he cries, but being in the same room as him? I'm so screwed. Computer says 'no'. He, signed things for 15 minutes? :2thumbs:

Thanks Geri for relating what Kat, said. I'm glad everyone behaved well, and there was no silly shouting when he walked on stage. I'm so glad it was a good performance and Orlando and the rest of the cast and crew had a good time! :yahoo:

Kat and anyone else who went last night, I'm glad you had a ball! :hug: Thanks for your thoughts. I look forward to hearing more. It irritates me that someone felt the need to shout at Tim. Grrr. At least no one went totally bonkers.

Thanks MistressMayhem for your review too. He sings? Yes, I've always wanted to hear him sing!

Thanks Jupiter for your review! They have an upstairs on stage? Cool, I've never heard of that being done before. We'll look forward to your full review when you have the time and are at home.

MITM , thanks for your review.

Kathryn , thanks to you too. I had no idea so many of us were going on opening night. I'm sorry your program went walk abouts. It's good that you got another though.

Jan , I'm glad you had a good time. Thanks for your review. I bet that guy with the phone was irritating. I hope you have just as good a time Sunday.

Did, anyone notice anyone famous in the audience? His Mum, Sir Ian McKellen?

I'll catch up with the rest of you tomorrow. Sorry, if this post is a little all over the place I'm tired.

Orlando played every emotion very well. The audience seemed to enjoy themselves, and the cast came out twice to rounds of applause after the show. Well done!
I was anxious to hear what happened when the show ended and I can just imagine the smile on everyone's faces. Thank you for sharing that MistressMayhem.

I couldn't wait to get to this board today, and have been reading through all the posts. I am so grateful to all the ka-Bloomies who posted and shared their experiences with us. I am elated that everything went so well, especially for Orlando who, like most of you, has been in my thoughts for the last couple of days.

A few have mentioned Orlando's Yorkshire accent and how it "slipped" a bit. Not all Yorkshire accents are created equal and, as Jan mentioned in her posting, when one moves away from "home" and to other parts of the country, their accents are affected/influenced by their jobs and other cultures. Orlando, playing a schoolteacher would likely have developed a bit more of a cultured accent. I remember some of my teachers - they didn't have Yorkshire accents at all. As for me, I have a Yorkshire accent, certainly nowhere near Canadian (even after 20+ years of living here), yet when I go back to England certain relatives have commented that I have a phony American accent :lol: .

Anyway, keep those reviews coming. It's wonderful to get such positive vibes from you all. I would love to have been there but my plans were thwarted from the start.

:hug:

Charlie

:blink:

Did, anyone notice anyone famous in the audience? His Mum, Sir Ian McKellen?
I saw Clive Anderson! Does that count?

wanderlust: So, is there going to be another performance tonight as well (possibly with more ka-bloomies attending) ? How many nights are preview nights?
I think previews are until the 16th. The original thread in ka-Bloomie koordination has a list of dates and when everyone from here is going.

No problems with the autographs, I'll post a full account later on including an absolutely adorable little story that involves Orlando, myself and a poor little girl getting pushed back and crushed in the crowds. Let's just say the man once again showed his adorable mettle!

Can we enjoy story time sooner than later? *taps fingers in anticipation* :hug:

:oops: I´ve forgotten something in my first post.

When I read that Orlando had such a touching crying scene I remembered this lovely moviefone Unscripted interview Orlando did with Cameron Crowe to promote Elizabethtown.

In this interview he mentioned that he always relays to his favourite Jeff Buckley song whenever he needs it.

So I think he also does at the play to be able to show such emotions like he did.

This technique is called Method acting.

It is an acting technique in which actors try to replicate real life emotional conditions under which the character operates, in an effort to create a life-like, realistic performance.

"The Method" in Method acting typically refers to the generic practice of actors drawing on their own emotions, memories, and experiences to influence their portrayals of characters. (Source: Wikipedia).

Thinking of this made it clearer than ever to me that Orlando works with this technique.

I thought so many times before that he seems to use Method acting while watching his performances in the movies he has done until now.

Finally there is the proof in his stage debut, after his long absence from theater.

He´s such a brave man to choose this play for his return into the bright lights.

Bravo and break a leg, Orlando!!!

:wave:

:grouphug: to all that have posted your reviews. Wow has this thread grown, when I logged off last night it was three pages.

It is such a joy to read all about your experiences and how wonderful Orlando and the play was. Hopefully Orlando's talent will finally be recognized by the critics. I would hope that theater critics are not as narrow minded as film critics.

Please keep posting after all your viewings, as it has been stated, there are many of us enjoying the experience vicariously through all of you.

Debbi

Thank you so much Jan, Sam, Kat, Kathryn, Judi, Claire & Mistress of Mayheim for your reviews of the play last night. :hug: It feels like I was there and I just knew that he would do fantastic. :clap: I'm looking forward to the reviews that are to come.

I'm sitting here, grinning like an idiot. :shiny:

I'm so damn proud of our man, and so happy for him, I could cry. :blow:

And I'm thrilled (and a teensy bit jealous) for all of our wonderful ka-Bloomies that are able to see him in this role.

Thank you all for your reviews. :hug:

Reading your wonderful descriptions is as close as I'm going to get (dammit), so I'm hangin' on every word.

Y'all be ready for a thorough grilling in Seattle!

We are going to want to hear EVERY detail.

This play seems to have a cast of thousands: the actors on stage and the wonderful ka-Bloomies who are reporting all the luscious details!

Thank you ever so much for your reviews. :hug: Every little detail is like a drop of water to a person dying of thirst.

Jan, I hope your feet recover soon. I've been there-walked a 26 mile marathon in Germany many years ago. I dearly hope you are feeling better today. Gel soles can help. So will several martinis.

I wish I could be there, but thanks to all of your generous reports, it isn't so sad and lonely out here.

Keep up the good work, and I'll keep buying lottery tickets!

Beth 37

Thank you for the thoughtful reviews! I never really felt too nervous for Orlando - even after reading that he was indeed feeling very nervous himself (the comment from his mum and his own words in a couple interviews). I thought it endearing that he was :wub:, but I just had no doubt he'd do very well. That's because to me he's always been a fascinating actor to watch - his being so expressive. I can imagine how amazing it is for you all to see him acting on stage, right there, live in front of you.

I'm relieved to see there are others who thought the play sounded a bit dull. I haven't read the script but saw what people here wrote about it after they'd read it, and to me it sounded downright dismal. So good to know they did have some humor in the production, and that it proved to be truly engrossing. (On the other hand, makes me feel more bummed that I can't see it. :lol:) Thank you again, for sharing your experience with all of us! :notworthy:

I forgot to tell Gillian that we figured out as we were leaving the theatre that the woman we'd seen briefly a few rows in front of us was probably NOT his mother. Looked similar, but upon closer inspection, nope. False alarm, dang it.

We'll have some CEOKs from tonight (including pics and video) to post in the next few days. *Sigh* :wub:

Oh, and we had a scary sight tonight - Courtney Love. My God, it wasn't even death warmed over. It was just plain frightening. Three words: Don't.Do.Drugs.

Beth, I am joining you in the purchase of lottery tickets. Hey, you never know! I mean, somebody has to win. I keep rereading the reviews and reports and grinning like an idiot. Looking forward to more, since we have a host of ka-Bloomies who are seeing the play.

CEOKs, pictures and a video to anticipate over the next few days . thank you, Jan. The circle of friendship grows ever wider. Believe me, those of us at home are beyond grateful.

:hug::hug:

Barbara

I just can't tear myself away from this thread. How wonderful everyone's experience seems to have been. Thank you all for sharing your moments with us.

Karen (who needs to get a lottery ticket, or if there is anyone near me going I am happy in a suitcase! :2thumbs: )

Oh, and we had a scary sight tonight - Courtney Love. My God, it wasn't even death warmed over. It was just plain frightening. Three words: Don't.Do.Drugs.

:rofl:Jan, you should write the new ad campaigns for against drugs. I'm addicted to this thread and can't wait to hear about the CEOK's. :wub:

:heart:

~Kit-Kat~

This is definitely the most thrilling thread right now! Thanks so much to everyone for letting up see the play through your eyes. I am still toying with the idea of going.pauses, sighs, stares dreamily into space.

Several people mentioned that they forgot it was Orlando on stage. I bet he would consider that to be the highest praise of his work. That his obsessed faithful fans found themselves looking at Steven and not Orlando. :blow: Just makes me all teary!

Thank you all for making the time to share your experiences on openinig night :Cloud9: ! I do not think I would be able to type coherently after seeing Orlando in person!

As our lovely Barbara said: The circle of friendship grows ever wider. Believe me, those of us at home are beyond grateful. Eloquently said as always!

I look forward to reading all of our ka-Bloomie's reviews, and will be standing in line for that lottery ticket as well!

Congratulations to the entire cast and crew of In Celebration :cheer: ! I am so proud of Orlando for taking on such an emotional role :clap: , and I hope the critics will finally see what we ka-Bloomies have known all along: he is so much more than a pretty face! He has talent and skill, and I hope he will finally get the recognition he so richly deserves!

Thank you all again for brining us all to London with you, no matter where we may live!

:grouphug:

Thanks for the great reviews, ladies!! Like many of us, I will not be going and must experience it vicariously through those of you who can attend.

I read the play last night as my own celebration of opening night. (Along with sending good luck vibes and praying all day like all of us were!) I enjoyed it, I was able to picture Orlando and I could sort of hear him speaking Steven's lines. A couple things stand out:

- When he says "It wasn't my cup of tea" as he's drinking tea - how cute was that? Had me thinking of dear William's teacup scene with DJ.

- When they are singing and he chimes in - I thought to myself - "Oh, no! Can he sing?" Apparently, he can! :2thumbs:

- Colin and Andrew fighting over who gets the bed downstairs cracked me up. :lol:

I very much like the idea that onstage you can see the upstairs for the start of the whole crying scene. I didn't like that the characters disappeared whenever they went upstairs as I was reading it, I seemed to lose my connection with them.

Sounds like it was a smashing success, congratulations to all involved, have a great run!! :cheer:

Christa

Oh, I forgot to say how heartwrenching it must be to see Orlando cry in the scene. :quiver: Sounds like his performance makes you feel his character's emotion.

Can't wait to read the CEOKs and look at more pictures and watch a video when those are posted! One can never hear or see too much of Orlando's continuous kindness to fans. :heart:

Ha, my three words for Ms. Love would be, "Give Up Music."

It's an ear thang. Always despised her so-called talent.

The music critical Spanky :bat:

This is definitely the most thrilling thread right now! Thanks so much to everyone for letting up see the play through your eyes.

Several people mentioned that they forgot it was Orlando on stage. I bet he would consider that to be the highest praise of his work. That his obsessed faithful fans found themselves looking at Steven and not Orlando. :blow: Just makes me all teary!

pjfla You've said what I am feeling - very emotional after reading all these reviews by, and joyous praise of Orlando by our ka-Bloomie sistahs. He is something else, isn't he?

Thank you very, very much, one and all.

:hug:

Semmley

I saw Clive Anderson! Does that count?

:lol: It was so funny - he was in the row behind us with his daughter, just a few seats away. But we couldn't remember if he was Clive Anderson or Clive James! We kept having these little whispered debates - not just me and my friend, but the two girls sitting next to me and the couple behind us (the theatre people) aswell!

Hi, I have a question for the girls that already have been to see Orlando on stage.

I want to go to London to see the play, which is, in your opinion, the best seat in theatre to see the play?

And what is the difference between stalls and Royal circle and upper circle?

Thank you so much!

A few have mentioned Orlando's Yorkshire accent and how it "slipped" a bit. Not all Yorkshire accents are created equal and, as Jan mentioned in her posting, when one moves away from "home" and to other parts of the country, their accents are affected/influenced by their jobs and other cultures. Orlando, playing a schoolteacher would likely have developed a bit more of a cultured accent. I remember some of my teachers - they didn't have Yorkshire accents at all. As for me, I have a Yorkshire accent, certainly nowhere near Canadian (even after 20+ years of living here), yet when I go back to England certain relatives have commented that I have a phony American accent :lol: .

I don't mean to be argumentative about this (sorry if I am!) but I don't believe the intention was for Steven to speak with a more "toned down" accent from living away from home. I've lived this through in a similar way myself (moved from the North of England to the South myself years ago) and have heard how friends' accents have changed, if at all, and it's normally much more subtle than it was in this case and happens in phases. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it wasn't a big issue for me but I feel it is important to acknowledge that Orlando might want to work on the accent a little more. I'm guessing he would be the first to want to perfect it as much as possible.