Sign in to follow this  
Kira

Knocked Up? Not Orlando!

From Starpulse (and several other outlets):

Director Shoots Mockumentary With Orlando Bloom & James Franco Getting Fired

Quirky moviemaker Judd Apatow shot a mockumentary, which features him firing Orlando Bloom and James Franco, while filming his new comedy Knocked Up. The 40-Year-Old Virgin director plans to release his 'Search For Seth' movie as part of the film's DVD release this Christmas.

The film suggests chubby 40-Year-Old Virgin star Seth Rogen wasn't the first choice to play the unlikely romantic lead in Knocked Up - and Apatow went through a string of top names before finding his man.

The director explains, "It's about how Seth Rogen was the 10th choice to play the lead. During our shoot we would have actors come and perform a scene and then I would fire them. We had Orlando Bloom auditioning and James Franco did it. There's a moment in the film where I thought I should be the lead as an actor/director. It was this whole documentary about how hard it was to find Seth."

I'll have to remember to rent it. The other day I saw the commercial for "Knocked Up" and was thinking it might be cool for Orlando to do a sort of regular-schmuck-guy comedy, only I'd rather it be one of those neat little British ones. "Knocked Up" looks like it's really funny.

~tf

Thanks for sharing Kira. This sounds very promising.

Going to add it to my netflix queue.

Aliza

That will be cute, I bet ! I'll be looking to rent it over the Holidays ! Thanks for the "heads up", Kira. :hug:

Thank you Kira for bringing this over! :hug: That should be really funny and I can't wait to see him do this! :cheer:

Kim

I love that Orlando is willing to send himself up so much.

(When I read the topic title, I thought for a second that Ellen had stuck to her word and got Orlando pregnant!)

(When I read the topic title, I thought for a second that Ellen had stuck to her word and got Orlando pregnant!)

Kat, too funny! :lmao:

~Mollie~

:lol:

Thanks, Mel. That's gonna be fun to watch.

:lol: Sounds like fun! Will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up Kira.

Ha, great topic title! :lol:

Now I just might have to rent that DVD when it comes out.

So, Orlando was one who auditioned for this role? What a change that would have been for our man. I do hope he breaks into comedy some day. I'd love to see him in a funny modern role.

Thanks for the heads up.

So, Orlando was one who auditioned for this role?

No. It's mockumentary - a spoof. A bit like Extras.

Oh I think Orlando is gonna be so funny in this. Those who've seen Calcium Kid know how funny he is. Although he's pretty good at showing his sence of humor in most interviews too. :2thumbs:

Thanks for the heads up Kira.:hug:

Hope we will be able to see this mockumentary. I also think Orlando would be best in a british comedy, a more refined humor would best match his appearance as an actor.

I get it now! I saw a little clip on Entertainment Tonight the other day where they were performing some scene from the movie and the actor was fired for various reasons. That was part of the mockumentary. I can't wait to see why Orlando gets fired.

Early this morning I was watching Ebert and Roeper, with Roeper hosting yet another substitute co-critic. They were rhapsodizing over the DVD release of "Knocked Up", specifically talking about the extensive extras, and there was Orlando for about 1 1/2 seconds, apparently arguing with someone. Even in that tiny snippet with no sound I got the same impression that I got from "Extras": he's really good at naturalistic acting. (As opposed to the grand or archaic stuff he's been doing, like LOTR, KOH and POTC.)

Anyway, for those who keep up with that show, it's the one that covers Brad Pitt's Jesse James movie. Wait to the very, very end and don't blink when they start talking about "Knocked Up".

~tf

Thanks for the heads up on this otherwise I wouldn't have rented it since it was a movie that just didn't catch my interest when it was released. Now it is on my must rent when released list.

Wow, thanks Ruth! I completely forgot about this, and CaliDad has been wanting the DVD. Now I have more incentive to go out and get it.

I'll check my TV listings to see when Ebert and Roeper is aired.

ETA: Darn it. That was last weekend's episode. Oh well.

Thank you for reminding us, Ruth. I too completely forgot about this.

ETA: Darn it. That was last weekend's episode. Oh well.

Darn it. :(

Edited by Suzie

I've set my tivo for tonight's showing, whatever ep it is. If Orlando is on it, we'll have it. Aren't back episods of the E&R show available on the web?

I think so, Jill. I am finding more and more episodes of TV shows I've missed (for whatever reason) on the web. I believe the E & R episodes are there as well. I'm not sure which site, though.

Thanks for telling us about that snippet, Ruth. That episode may be repeated this weekend, or sometime soon, and we will know what to watch for.

I am planning on renting the Knocked Up DVD when it becomes available and if the mockumentary is as funny as I think it will be, and has a decent amount of Orlando in it, I may just have to make a purchase. :wink:

- Pam -

I heard about the DVD coming out on the radio and remembered that Orlando was reportedly in one of the extras. I was wondering if that was still the case. I guess so. Cool, I'll have to check it out. I didn't get to see in the theaters, but wanted to.

It looks like their 'on-demand' site only shows DVD reviews after they are released, and it won't be out until Tuesday. (I checked YouTube, and couldn't find it. I think people post certain film reviews, not shows, which makes sense.)

I'll hit the video store Tuesday and see what's what. :wink: Not at all interested in seeing the film itself, so it'll be quick work. I hope.

ETA: Rut-roh. Looks like the extras are on the 'extended unrated version'. Please, God, have it available for rental - I do NOT want to have to buy this. :lol:

Edited by Jan

:lol: That's AWESOME!

I'd expect James Franco to be part of the mockumentary since he worked with Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen on Freaks and Geeks, but not Orlando! I saw a fake audition of Michael Cera (from Arrested Development and Superbad) trying out. Funny stuff.

A quick review of the Knocked Up DVD was on Ebert and Roeper this afternoon. They showed the ever so brief glimpse of Orlando's part and said that the extras are on the 2 disc version. I plan on checking the rental to see if they have this version. The rental is available this Tuesday (at least where I live).

Finally found this explanation at Best Buy - looks like it's only on the Extended 'Unrated' (though reviews say it's still an 'R', which it was in theatres) version.

Finding Ben Stone - The Story of the "Other" Actors Who Were Fired Before Seth Rogen Was Hired
I just called my Hollywood Video, and they say that they will have both versions available for rental :yess: - I may have to run out at lunch to make sure I get it, as once they're rented out tomorrow, it'll be the weekend before it's back in. After that, it's a crap shoot

I'll try to post it up tomorrow night. God willing and if the creek don't rise.