ka-Bloom.org Forum

Ka-Bloomie Reviews

I know TF didn't much like Beckett's demise, but I thought it was fantastic. Perfectly graphic in how his world literally fell to pieces. The look of disbelief in his face was a piece of fine acting.

Nice review, Elvira!! :clap: Thanks for jumping in!

I was rather disappointed in Hollander's Cutler Beckett character . I kept waiting for him to become really vile . instead of just cardboard, with that bland little moue that he probably thought was depicting "cold and vicious". I've seen him do better in other roles. (And I can't stop morphing his face with T.R Knight who plays George O'Malley on Grey's Anatomy! :lol:) I can't get past how much I wish Cutler Beckett had been played by Jason Isaacs, who can do one of the best period British villains - ever. He was probably off doing Lucius Malfoy at the time.

, just my own lunatic musings . sorry. :teehee:

Okay, I've got to stop this.

Me, too. :blink:

ETA - my deepest apologies for not chilling out here, but for a fascinating theory as to the question of restoring Will's heart, go here to the discussion on Wordplay.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krissy, thanks for your great explanation about Calypso returning to her Goddess form. I don't know what I was thinking when I asked if she died because I remember know when the maelstrom began, Davy Jones looked up to the clouds and whispered "Calypso". :doh:

Well this adds to the goodness of talking the movie through. I really enjoy visiting this thread every afternoon. I learn something new everytime. :)

~Mollie~

I had my second viewing yesterday and if it hadn't been for the noisy persons next to me, I would have enjoyed it sooo much more! I wasn't rude but they were and at the end when they got up to leave I suggested that they stay to see the "easter egg" at the end. It was not well received and they flounced out, loudly suggesting that I mind my own business and keep my opinions to myself!!!

So, even with the rude, loud persons next door, I really enjoyed the movie so much more than the first time. I will be returning as much as possible till it's out of the theatre as I soak up stuff much better with repeated applications.

I really didn't want the movie to end, I could live there forever, just like the LOTR trilogy. Escape is so necessary now-a-days that these movies make for a wonderful alter ego life! *sigh* if there was just a way to get there and stay there.

Love all the comments and reviews, lots to think about. I hold out high hopes for the DVD, that it will have all the scenes we want to see that were cut out. Anyone have an idea when that will be released?

Louise

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts. I wish that the storytelling had been clearer, as they are wonderful stories that deserved to be understood by everyone, not just the internet-savvy devotees.

I put off seeing the movie until Monday because, having loved Will for so long, I couldn't bear to see him die. It was absolutely heartbreaking, and I haven't cried in the theater since Frodo left Sam and Middle Earth forever. A smaller, emotionally detached part of me was in amazement at Orlando's acting in that scene. Without words or gestures, he conveys all of Will's pain and sorrow at leaving Elizabeth and leaving his promise to his father unfulfilled. Davy Jones doesn't even bother to ask if he fears death; it's clear that he doesn't, and the emotion of the moment was overwhelming.

I've thought a lot about the ending. It's fitting that they end the film as they did, with Jack in a boat similar to the one he arrives in back in COTBP, and with him closing the compass as the screen fades out as it did at the end of the first movie. I assume that that boat eventually takes on water and that he ends up sailing into another port, in the market again as it were, and his story goes on. If I were the editors, I would have put the "10 Years Later" scene just after the list of starring actors, and save the final bit after the credits for some nod back to the ride, maybe Captain Teague playing his guitar and singing the "Yo Ho" song.

I do feel sorry for everyone that left early since they missed one of the most beautiful images ever to grace the screen and one that will forever be imprinted on my heart. Captain Will Turner, in the white shirt we first came to know and love, older, wiser, bearing the scars of his quest, but still noble and true of heart (And one of the great questions of the trilogy is answered: we know now for sure that he is NOT a eunuch). A modern day Odysseus returning home, and a hero to admire for the ages.

Guest Brena
(And one of the great questions of the trilogy is answered: we know now for sure that he is NOT a eunuch).

:lol: That's just what I thought when I saw the boy. Well done, Will. :yess:

Just came in from seeing AWE for the third time -- and I loved it even more ! I would have loved it even if they left off the after-the-credits scene ! :tomato:

Will was wonderful, masterful and so romantic ! Those scenes after his "death" were awesome -- there is no one like our Will: brave, handsome, soulful -- I nearly died with longing ! :hott: If they had not added the final scene, I could have imagined him in forthcoming Pirates movies, coming to the aid of Jack Sparrow (or ships in distress) as the courageous Captain of the Flying Dutchman -- wet curls, bandana and open shirt blowing in the wind !

This time I also got so much more out of the movie: I saw "Saladin", loved Keith Richards, understood more of Tia Dalma, and really appreciated the outlandish Jack Sparrow. I was even better able to keep track of all the double-crosses (although it was difficult :lol: ). All the acting was terrific, with a special "hats off" to Kiera, Jeffrey, Stellan, Bill Nighy and the Chou Yun Fat. They all deserve special praise, together with Jack and Orlando they have made a thrilling, breathtaking visual treat of a movie ! :clap:

Kuddos to Disney for bringing us this awesome trilogy, as well as to the writers and producers, directors and cast. Job well done. We will miss you.

Anyone for a 4th ? :cheer:

If they had not added the final scene, I could have imagined him in forthcoming Pirates movies, coming to the aid of Jack Sparrow (or ships in distress) as the courageous Captain of the Flying Dutchman -- wet curls, bandana and open shirt blowing in the wind !

[Jack Sparrow mode]Ooo, I like the sound of that![/Jack Sparrow mode]

Nin, thanks for the link. I enjoyed it.

Captain Will Turner, in the white shirt we first came to know and love, older, wiser, bearing the scars of his quest, but still noble and true of heart. A modern day Odysseus returning home, and a hero to admire for the ages.

Beautifully put, Christine.

Davy Jones doesn't even bother to ask if he fears death; it's clear that he doesn't, and the emotion of the moment was overwhelming.

Those of noble heart never fear death.

(And one of the great questions of the trilogy is answered: we know now for sure that he is NOT a eunuch).

But we all knew that, didn't we? :wink:

You all knew I couldn't stay away right? :lol: I can't get enough of this movie or this discussion! I can't wait to go again next week and I'm trying to figure out how to go before then.

Elvira I thoroughly enjoyed your review. You had words you didn't think you had. :hug:

Adrianne, Nin and Annabelle as always I love your comments. Nin, thanks for all the links. I quickly looked at them while at work and look forward to reading them in detail.

KLSMom, I like your alternate ending. :2thumbs:

I saw the movie again and once again I loved it. The end (thanks to all of you) made me happy instead of sad since I did not realize the curse was lifted the first time. :2thumbs: I found myself really enjoying the last scene between Davy Jones and Tia Dalma where she asked him "What about you" and he says "My heart has always belonged to you" (Sorry the words may be wrong but it goes something like that) I thought that was beautiful. Made me smile each time I saw it since he tried to act like he didn't love her but he did. :wub: I really enjoy the scene where Will and Elizabeth are inside the boat and he confesses to her what he thought was going on with her and Jack. :hott: His eyes! Like it has been said here before a lot of the acting comes from his eyes. I still have no complaints and I am looking forward to my next viewing!

If they had not added the final scene, I could have imagined him in forthcoming Pirates movies, coming to the aid of Jack Sparrow (or ships in distress) as the courageous Captain of the Flying Dutchman -- wet curls, bandana and open shirt blowing in the wind !

Annabelle - He can still do that. He'll be out there roaming around for 10 years. That's plenty of time to come to Jack's rescue again. :)

Krissy

(And one of the great questions of the trilogy is answered: we know now for sure that he is NOT a eunuch). A modern day Odysseus returning home, and a hero to admire for the ages.

:rofl:KLSMom, thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Thank you for making me laugh like I haven't for a while.

I hold out high hopes for the DVD, that it will have all the scenes we want to see that were cut out. Anyone have an idea when that will be released?
December 4, 2007 in the US.

Nicccce. I haven't looked this forward to December since 'The Lord of the Rings' films. I'll get to hit the replay button to watch Captain Turner again and again and again and again.

Krissy I very much like the idea of Captain Turner coming to Captain Jack's rescue.

Guest Babs

Yes, he played it very good. But at the moment Will died I was so sad.

All actors were good and did a damn good job. Thats why I like the POTC movies and I´m looking forward to POTC 4.

Greetings Babs

I hold out high hopes for the DVD, that it will have all the scenes we want to see that were cut out. Anyone have an idea when that will be released?
December 4, 2007 in the US.

December 4th? WOW? I already can't wait for the DVD. Thanks, Jill.

Oh goodie!!! December 4th for the DVD release! I think I can wait that long, if I get enough viewings in between now and then. As I remember it, the local theatre had POTC 2 for about 4 months, maybe into 5 months.I should have it well memorized by then if I go at least once a week.I think I can do this.hmmmm! Hubby always takes a nap in the afternoon.hmmmm!

I am sure I will be seeing this movie many, many, many more times! I LOVE IT! :cheer:

Louise

Oh goodie!!! December 4th for the DVD release! I think I can wait that long, if I get enough viewings in between now and then. As I remember it, the local theatre had POTC 2 for about 4 months, maybe into 5 months.I should have it well memorized by then if I go at least once a week.I think I can do this.hmmmm! Hubby always takes a nap in the afternoon.hmmmm!

I am sure I will be seeing this movie many, many, many more times! I LOVE IT! :cheer:

Louise

Computer says 'no'. You sound like me. My goal is twice a week though. :2thumbs:

I went to my 5th viewing today. But I slept through a lot of it, so I don't know if that counts. :doh:

I couldn't help it! I had worked a 12 hour shift, then got 4 hours sleep, then went back for an 11 hour shift, then came home and paced around the living room for 2 hours so I wouldn't miss the FedEx guy (he was bringing my new iPod, that has now been named Calypso!). And then running downstairs and putting it charging and loading music on it, then taking a quick shower, changing, and grabbing the iPod and practically running to the theater to catch the 1:50 showing.

:hott:

My vote for the "money shot" is a tie between the first time you see Will after the Flying Dutchman falls into the maelstrom, and the scene after he tells his father to take the wheel (helm?) where he's looking out over the ocean, at Elizabeth.

I can't get away from this discussion! I am so bad!

Nicccce. I haven't looked this forward to December since 'The Lord of the Rings' films. I'll get to hit the replay button to watch Captain Turner again and again and again and again.

Adrianne, I agree with you, once I get the DVD I can watch Captain Turner over and over again. And a few other scenes over and over again. :naughty:

Anyways, ok, does anyone know for sure if there is no 4th one, because I have been hearing rumors that they left that credits scene to the end because they (the writers, Jerry, and Gore) said in a year they might make a fourth one with the whole original cast. The plot I heard would be Elizabeth looking for the fountain of youth with Jack so she can be on the Flying Dutchman with Will forever. While, Will is helping them as Captain of the Flying Dutchman. That's just what I've heard, but I was wondering if any of you had heard if it is official that there is or isn't a fourth one.

:heart:

~Kit-Kat~

So, is there a shot of him after the credits? I remember the ones Zayra just talked about, but I don't remember any shot after the credits. Did I faint, blackout, or just have an Oldtimers moment?

Help.

MBailey53 :hug: