ka-Bloom.org Forum

Ka-Bloomie Reviews

Speaking of which, I have had a few hours to mull this over and I have to, once again, say how amazing Orlando is in this movie. Everything else aside, his performance makes this movie worth the price. He has scenes with almost every major character, intimate moments that are absolute pieces of genius. I wish I could be more specific but I can't without bringing in spoilers. Someone else mentioned it, that Orlando steals every scene he is in. It's true. The second half of the movie is all his. And he does it all with such understated elegance. He will break your heart. Don't ever EVER tell me this man can't act.

I will stand by your side ready to fight anyone who says he can't act!

By the way, I didn't have any trouble following the story line or the different pieces that were all woven together.

See my response in another reply.I totally agree with you.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potentially excedingly mild spoilers[i'm not totally sure it constitutes a spoiler]

I do want to ask a question? Wasn't it the sword Will made in P!1 that,... him?

I do believe it was, I only just realised as well. I think I was too shocked to notice at the time. The cruel irony of it is just another reason why the script writers are so brilliant. Sorry, I hope I haven't said too much! I'm going back to see it on Tuesday hopefully, if not then my friend and I are having a Pirates marathon on Friday. Looking forward to it! :cheer:

Deirdrex

... I do want to ask a question? Wasn't it the sword Will made in P!1 that,... him?

I think so . I began to follow that sword after the first time they highlighted it, thinking it would end up in Will's hand and how cool that would be . but I sort of lost it there in the confusion of the battles.

I am now ready to argue with anyone who thought the movie confusing.though I wouldn't have been able to do so after seeing AWE only once. I loved what MovieImp said about seeing many things from the first movies and how they were used in AWE.

I expected to be confused and was surprised that I wasn't . maybe I was paying really really good attention, instead of just gawping at Will,... ,.. ... nah. :lol: The return to familiar touches was something I enjoyed a lot in DMC and I was delighted to see that continue here. I also kept thinking all through the thing how brilliant the writers are and what a marvelous circle of completion they made of all the various arcs. I think these guys are two of the best writers in the business these days. Their dialogue is clever and on point and I just adore all the word-play. I sit there giggling like an idiot over stuff the characters say and clever use of the language from odd places. ("You will not like me." . say WHAT? :lol:)

The only part I would like to have seen done a different way was the release of Calsypo.my first thought was "the 100 foot woman." I have tons of other questions and comments, but will hold off until more ka-bloomies have had their first or second viewings. I'm hoping for my third tomorrow.

I was a bit disappointed with that, too, Nez . a goddess resuming her status should have been more powerful than just a great big towering broad with a booming voice (and you couldn't understand a thing she said with all the extraneous noise going on at the time). I thought the stone crabs were cheesy (reminded me of the skulls in the Paths of the Dead) . although she did drum up a hum-dinger of a storm and maelstrom.

My husband has just returned from a business trip early and has told me to go ahead and buy tickets for Sunday morning, so, I'm going again, I'm going again! :cheer:

In the meantime, I'll just sit around the house and replay in my head those gasp-worthy images of Will Turner, pirate . with the eyes to die in. Oh my hairy gods. :hott:

Speaking of which, I have had a few hours to mull this over and I have to, once again, say how amazing Orlando is in this movie. Everything else aside, his performance makes this movie worth the price. He has scenes with almost every major character, intimate moments that are absolute pieces of genius. I wish I could be more specific but I can't without bringing in spoilers. Someone else mentioned it, that Orlando steals every scene he is in. It's true. The second half of the movie is all his. And he does it all with such understated elegance. He will break your heart. Don't ever EVER tell me this man can't act.

I will stand by your side ready to fight anyone who says he can't act!

I am with you ladies, Orlando was the one that carried this movie and I am so proud of him. :throb: And I can still see his scenes playing out in my mind, that is how much he has effected me. I can already tell who I am going to be dreaming about tonight. :wub:

Kim

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say what everyone else was saying. this movie is AMAZING! We say the first show here yesterday where we live and it was fun and a great movie! I agree with everyone else Orlando did an fantastic job! WOW! What a movie! My son is ready to go again and we are going to go tomorrow! (If my son wants to watch it 4 more times it is my job to support him :2thumbs: )

As you all post your impressions, and relive a wonderful experience, I want to chime in again with a few thoughts, and a question.

Loved the link-ups with the first two movies, characters, animals, objects, music - all there (Great soundtrack too, I thought)

Must repeat that I found Orlando's performance a real pleasure to watch. His scenes with Keira were very sensitively acted, have such depth and are so memorable. Yes, don't let anyboody tell me he can't act, least of all those critics who don't know when down is up :lol:

Lady Nin Yes! from word-play, to fleeting scenes that cause a double-take, there was :lol: and for those highly emotional scenes :blow: in other words - a darn good movie experience.

I have seen LOTR so many times, I know all the dialogue - but would someone PLEASE tell me, what was Legolas' MONEY shot? I feel so embarrassed that I don't know. (or don't get the reference).

We're going away for the weekend, and I'm already panting to get back so that I can see the movie again.

Semmley

Just wanted to put a quick word in. I saw the eight o'clock showing last night. I took my mom with me, I nt to the midnight showing of Pirates last year so I prepared for all the costumes and inevitable cheering that would happen throughout the movie. I admit there was a lot to follow but that only gives me a reason to go back and watch it! Orlando and Johnny were amazing as expected. You could definitely see a difference from AWE Will and COTBP Will. Again, great movie, just pay real close attention to everything and make sure you buy a small soda and go to the bathroom BEFORE the movie starts because if you leave for two seconds you will get lost.

P.S. Even my mother agreed that Orlando's first bandana shot was money! :lol:

As you all post your impressions, and relive a wonderful experience, I want to chime in again with a few I have seen LOTR so many times, I know all the dialogue - but would someone PLEASE tell me, what was Legolas' MONEY shot? I feel so embarrassed that I don't know. (or don't get the reference).

What I have heard is that Legolas's "money" shot is the shot of him when he comes into Frodo's bedroom toward the end of ROTK, when Frodo wakes up after being rescued by the eagles, and the surviving members of the Fellowship come into the room one by one.

I cannot fathom why people like that shot so much, though. It's one of my least favorite shots of Legolas. It's blurry, and he looks funny in that outfit. I prefer him in action, with bow and arrow. Or soaking wet at Helm's Deep. Or pulling Boromir back from the abyss in Moria. Or climbing onto that Oliphaunt. Or holding back his fellow elves so that they won't start a fight at the Council of Elrond. Or congratulating Aragorn at the coronation. Or arguing in Elvish with Aragorn in the armory. Or making like a tour guide in the Paths of the Dead. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And Orlando's Troy money shot (frontal, naked, shown down to the point where if they went a centimeter lower, they would have lost the R rating) beats all of them.

I have seen LOTR so many times, I know all the dialogue - but would someone PLEASE tell me, what was Legolas' MONEY shot? I feel so embarrassed that I don't know. (or don't get the reference).

Semmley

I am right behind you, Semmley! There were lots of gorgeous shots of Legolas but the MONEY shot? Which one?

I have yet to see AWE and have it planned for tomorrow some time in the afternoon. I can't wait and if Kleenex are needed, then I had better take a few boxes for back-up.

:hug:

Charlie

P.S. Just had a quick thought - if the MONEY shot is a naughty reference, maybe someone could PM me . please.

The money shot from ROTK is indeed when Legolas enters Frodo's room. That smile with the backlighting was just amazing.

As far as in AWE, I was actually referring to the very last shot of him - in the coda.

After reading some explanations on KeepToTheCode.com, I actually feel a lot better about where the movie left off. I am hoping to see it again this weekend so I can catch some of what I missed.

Ok, if you haven't seen the movie yet, beware of my post it is filled with spoilers!

Ok, I went ot he midnight showing last night, where people dressed up and everyone cheered, laughed, cried, and even yelled at the screen at the appropriate times, making it an even more entertaining viewing. Here is my review.

IT WAS AMAZING!! Throughout the whole movie I was on the edge of my seat. It was brilliant writing, acting, and effects and music. I loved this one the best out of all 3, even though the first one still holds a special place in my heart. I thought at fisrt with was little hard to follow but then I went back and thought about stuff and it made sense.

I enjoyed the darker, sexier Will Turner turned pirate in this one and how he has definitely changed from the first one to this one. His whole story plot was amazing and I cried when he was... :blow: , well you get the picture, but it seemed to fit him becoming captain of the Flying Dutchman, I don't know why but I still had that tiny hope that his dad would take his place for him and he would be able to stay with Liz, but didn't happen.

Johnny and Keira and the rest of the cast were amazing and need to win the oscar for best cast performance in my opinion, all of them were amazing. That scene when Will and Liz got married while fighting was priceless! :lol: it was funny yet so romantic and one fo the most romantic kisses in any of Orlando's films. I loved how when she said "I do" Will went "Great!" with this huge smile on his face. But everyone played their characters really well and Keith did a very good job too.

I was very surprised at Disney with this film, especially at the beginning, I mean it really sucked you into the story but I was like " Oh my God, did they just do that?!" and also with the dead bodies in the water and dead in the boats. That scene with Elizabeth and her father had me crying along with the ending of the movie. But all in all it seemed to fit and so Disney took a risk and it was a good risk with what they did. The whole Malestrom scene and the fighting was amazing, I loved that! Also the Singapore fight was great too.

The thing I really didn't like was the handling of the Calypso, I was confused and dissappointed with that but it was Disney fantasy coming in.

Now onto my views of that ending scene we all have been :hott: and bothered with. That scene had me not being able to breathe and finding it utterly romantic and also made me believe this was definitely his most romantic film yet with the way you could ssee the passion and the love in the way they spoke and looked at each other and with their body language. I think throughout the film, their body language spoke volumes!

Also, that last scene at the end of the credits and the scene when he is on the Flying Dutchman after it comes out from under the water, were the scenes were I went "Errol Flynn has nothing on Orlando!".

All in all, I loved this movie and can't wait to see it again and again all summer long and I hope it beats all other movies at the box office this summer.

:heart:

~Kit-Kat~

Semmley

I am right behind you, Semmley! There were lots of gorgeous shots of Legolas but the MONEY shot? Which one?
I think the Money Shot in LOTR happened in FOTR, after the Fellowship left Rivendell. It was the scene in which they came up over the crest of a hill, one at a time, and looked around. That's the scene that was worth the admission cost - for me at least!

For AWE, I'd have to watch it again to pinpoint exactly when it happened but it was near the end of the film when he was looking over the side of the Flying Dutchman with his father nearby. The look in his eyes and the way the light played on the planes of his face.. :stretcher:

ETA: I've just read through a few pages of this thread and I have to comment on the sword that Will had made for Commodore Norrington in POTC:COTBP, without having any spoilage. Although I wish it hadn't happened at all, it was rather fitting that that particular sword was in the same scene when we saw the last of the Blacksmith Will Turner. He had left the blacksmith far behind and had turned pirate and then evolved some more.The sword at the beginning was the sword at the end - it had come full circle in the trilogy.

Jack and the Pearl also made a circle (rather crooked and lopsided). He ended up where he started in the first movie - without a ship or crew and on a mission to regain The Black Pearl.

Wasn't it the sword Will made in P!1 that,... him?
Yes, that was most definitely the same sword.

Spoiler alert!!

If you notice it was also the one that got Norrington as well.

Okay, I've been anxiously waiting to post. I have see it 3 times in the past 24 hours! Mind you those few "choice" scenes almost didn't allow me to come back from the land of dead to comment. :hott::giveup:

Geri, I agree with most of your comments but only in so far as my first viewing. I saw it last night and left emotionally drained and with mixed feelings. This from someone who not only adores Will Turner, but the entire POTC franchise. I had remarkably remained very spoiler free so a lot of what I saw was a total shock to me. Anar, ironically, despite my love of the do-rag shot on board the Dutchman, I had forgotten all about it. It took me completely by surprise when it happened and took my breath away. The cap we had suddenly all made sense. I spent last night and this morning trying to process through what I had been feeling. I felt hurt and not thrilled about the movie as I had hoped and anticipated I would be after finally seeing it. Hurt not because I had been disappointed in the film but hurt maybe because of all the different losses in the story lines.

That was based on the story. Regarding the acting.Orlando was fantastic and drop dead gorgeous! Both of which I fully expected and he delivered. I thought the development and progression of Will Turners' journey was beautifully brought to life. Johnny was fun as always and I thought Keira did a great job with growth of Elizabeth as well. All the actors were great and such fun to watch. Geoffrey as Barbossa was true to form. The effects, minus a huge Calypso, were great!! I could've done without that. I thought she should've been more ethereal and less giant-like. The music was wonderful as always! It does a really good job at conveying the emotion of the different scenes. I'm glad I bought the soundtrack.

So I went again today for my double viewing. I have to say that I totally loved it the second time around! I know it is supposed to require multiple viewings and I don't normally support that tactic in a film but I'd have seen this more than once regardless. :wink: My theory is I didn't have the shock factor I had last night and I could really get into the film the second time around. I knew what to expect, good and bad. My third viewing left me wanting to see it again. Thankfully I will in about a week and a half.

One more fun thing, did you notice that when Jack was with Gizelle and that other girl (forgot her name) at the end, he had dear old mum with him? :lol:

Finally, regarding the attendance. Last night was the 8:25 show and about 1/2 full. There was a line for the 11:50 show afer mine. I was speaking with the guy this morning when I went, it's a different theater from last night, and he said all 4 shows last night were packed.

Done rambling. Bring on the caps!!

I went today and I already have my ticket to go again tomorrow. In a word, I thought it was INCREDIBLE!

All of the acting was brilliant, it was funny, dramatic, suspenseful and touching. I cried 3 times over the whole Will and Elizabeth situation. I honestly didn't see that coming and was quite upset, until the end of the credits scene made me feel better about it. Thank GOD for that! I agree with those of you that equate that image with the Legolas ROTK money shot.

A few of the funny parts seemed overdone to the point of being ridiculous, (Jack's nose scene, for one) and I also was put off by the giant Calypso scene. Also, what was with all the licking of stuff? :sick: Did anyone else find it hard to understand the pirates speaking in Singapore? That bothered me, I like knowing exactly what was said.

I love that I recognized Saladin from KOH as one of the pirate lords. Anyone else catch that?

As far as Orlando's performance - amazing! THAT scene had me turning into a puddle, for sure! Leaving it up to the imagination is definitely best! I found myself liking the new "Frozen Will" in addition to our usual Wet Will. :wub: And I was so charmed by the teacup scene.

I love how the two guards from #1 turn into pirates.

All in all there's a lot to love about this movie. And it seemed to be left open for still more sequels.

Happy Pirate Viewing!!

Christa

I'm curious to know what everyone thought of the violence level. I found it to be particularly OTT (particularly the hangings and the two women who were killed in Singapore by gunshots at close range). I've talked to others who agree that it was really offensive. Did anyone else cringe as I did, having your kids sitting with you? The swashbuckling sort of violence just got chucked out the window for the more graphic, gory variety. Was that necessary?

I think we can safely say that this thread is now a spoiler zone.

The opening scene bothered me as well, Geri, and I didn't have my kids with me. They could have made their point by hanging the long line of men and women and reading all of the proclamations. There was no need to bring hanging children into the cruelty; we got the picture fine without it.

I would have like subtitles for the Jamacian dialogue. I feel that I missed something there. :blink:

I spotted 'Saladin.' Did anyone see 'Herbie Bush' at the Brethren Court?

Wow I definitely didn't catch Saladin in the movie.-. Now that I think back to it, I can figure out which one he was. Good eyes everyone! :shiny:

I just saw the movie today and I thought it was by far the best of the three. It was highly entertaining and kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. When it was over I was like "What? It's been nearly 3 hours already? No way! I want more!" -...

I agree with those of you who were upset about the Will and Elizabeth situation. I cried so much! My emotions are still raw over the whole thing. But I did enjoy the scene at the end of the credits.

Spoiler! Ok, someone help me out here. The scene after the credits.was the curse lifted from Will? A friend of mine told me that it was because Elizabeth kept the chest for 10 years. Can someone explain that more to me? I'd like to think the curse was lifted, but I don't know. Spoiler!

Anway, I thought the movie was a lot more dramatic and serious than Dead Man's Chest. I mean, yeah the many Jacks was pretty funny, but there was a lot more violence and tears and heartache with the third one. Did anyone else feel the same?

Well, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, you are in for a treat when you do! It really is an amazing movie and I will definitely be seeing it again several, several times!!

Oh and I think one of my fave scenes was the "Leg Scene." Those of you who've seen the movie know what I'm talking about. :hellyeah:

I agree with you Jill and Geri with the way the movie started with all those hangings but did they really have to show us that little kid? That did bother me.

And yes I did notice "Herbie Bush" at the Brethren Court! The actor's name is Omid Djalli. :)

Kim

I have been trying to decide all day whether or not to post in here (they've heard enough of me 'backstage'). And let me preface this by saying that I have been sick most of the week, and yesterday was not one of my better days. In fact, if it had been any film other than one with Orlando - in spite of how much money I spent on the tickets - I would have stayed home.

That said - I can't remember being this upset after leaving a theatre. I cried nearly all the way home.

The cinematography and the effects were amazing. The acting was terrific all around - and I was particularly impressed with how far Orlando has come from that first scene in the hallway of Governor Swan's mansion. He's never been an OTT actor, it's more about subtlety. Watching his facial expressions was like reading a book.

But I am feeling so emotionally manipulated that I want to scream. I could list the 'offenses', but I think many will understand what I'm talking about. KLSMom explained some things to me (that she picked up at Wordplay); I'm certainly not stupid, you don't have to draw a complete picture for me - but a BIT more indication of what the 'ending' was really all about would have helped.

For me, the ending wasn't bittersweeet; it was devastating. I honestly don't know when, or if, I will see it again. :blow:

(And I can't WAIT to get rid of the countdown button photo.)

I don't know where to begin with my review so just a couple quick thoughts. (with spoiliers)

I've seen it three times now and it definitely gets better. The first time it was like seeing a puzzle completed. All the clips and pictures that we've seen falling in order. I knew we'd see Will in a bandana at some point and that is the only thing that got me through the preceding scene. The second time everything was more emotional for me. All the times the camera lingered on Will or the sword would make me want to cry. I'm going to have a hard time watching that first scene with Will in P1. I think I'm more OK with the ending now than I was. It's still a strange feeling though, not having a totally happy ending. I've been listening to the soundtrack all week. I'm glad they didn't have spoilers (like "Qui Gon's Funeral" :rant:) but "One Day" now has meaning. :cry:

On a happier note: I loved when we first enter Davy Jones locker and the screen goes black and you hear noises from the ride. So cool. If they only had mist in theater. :lol:

Spoiler! Ok, someone help me out here. The scene after the credits.was the curse lifted from Will? A friend of mine told me that it was because Elizabeth kept the chest for 10 years. Can someone explain that more to me? I'd like to think the curse was lifted, but I don't know. Spoiler!

I was a bit disturbed by Will taking over the Flying Dutchman and leaving Elizabeth behind, so I did a little surfing. On the messageboards at KeepToTheCode.com, one of the posters used justification from the scriptwriters Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio (via their website wordplayer.com) that Will was not just coming back for one day then leaving for another 10 years. That he was, in fact, staying because the curse was broken. You can read the justification here:

http://www.keeptothecode.com/bboard/viewto.ghlight=#432440

The Cliff Notes version is that because Elizabeth stayed true to her love for Will, he was able to resign his captaincy after the 10 years were up. The way I understand it - and I only vaguely remember the dialogue from the scene with Tia and Davy in the brig, so bear with me - is that because Tia wasn't true to her love for Davy Jones that the curse remained with him. I am guessing that the heartbreak that this caused him was the reason he ruled the seas as he did without a care for his duties as captain of the Flying Dutchman. This in turn made him the monster he became.

There was also a significance to the green light. Somebody correct me if I interpreted it incorrectly, but it symbolized that a soul had returned from the netherworld.

I hope that makes sense.

At first, I wasn't certain that I would want to see the movie again, but I think that going in with this insight may help me in a second viewing. It was an emotionally draining movie.

Karen, I loved that nod to the ride as well. Barbossa's line just prior to the fade to black is a direct quote from the skeleton that use to greet guests before they did the recent rehab to add Jack.

Jan, I'm sorry to hear how you're feeing about it. :(

I did think it a tad violent but for some reason that wasn't what shocked and upset me.

Sherwood, thanks for the post. It does help some. Remember too that Jones had also betrayed Calypso. I'm just unclear on which betrayal came first.

One thing I don't understand about the green flash is that it appeared when Will first left on the Dutchman after the one day. I did notice it when he returned though as you said.

This is the one people refer to as the "money shot" ----> Money shot of Leggy . It's the moment when we all gasped, remember? :wink:

For AWE, I'd have to watch it again to pinpoint exactly when it happened but it was near the end of the film when he was looking over the side of the Flying Dutchman with his father nearby. The look in his eyes and the way the light played on the planes of his face.. :stretcher:

I remember that one . I'll vote for it, too . but there were several that just took my breath away. That bandanna over those long curls and the eyes, the eyes. This whole pirate look is just to die for. :ded:

I've just read through a few pages of this thread and I have to comment on the sword that Will had made for Commodore Norrington in POTC:COTBP, without having any spoilage. Although I wish it hadn't happened at all, it was rather fitting that that particular sword was in the same scene when we saw the last of the Blacksmith Will Turner. He had left the blacksmith far behind and had turned pirate and then evolved some more.The sword at the beginning was the sword at the end - it had come full circle in the trilogy.

YES! It was quite poetic. Will who, in spite of his innocence, had always had his hand in the business of violence . as in "he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"... created that weapon and it went on to kill some of our favorite characters, finally coming back at its maker. Hmmm. I loved the way T&T sent all those storylines flying in all directions and then skillfully wove them back together into a neat knit. (Especially since they didn't start out to write that long a tale!)

Jack and the Pearl also made a circle (rather crooked and lopsided). He ended up where he started in the first movie - without a ship or crew and on a mission to regain The Black Pearl.

Yep. But I still hope they stop at 3. It lets us all create our own further endings, and nobody's disappointed that way.

Jan . I'm sorry you were devastated by the way they ended it. See it again, when you are feeling better. That the whole saga had so many elements of myth and sea legend in it along with the comedy and sass has always been something I like about it. So many "sea tales" are about loss and longing and in the end, tragedy . it just felt okay to me. (But then, I'm your basic Celt and not particularly in need of happy sunshine endings.) The additional explanation to the ending makes it easier to bear. one wonders why, if that's what they intended, it was not somehow included. (They could have trimmed some of those endless "Jack's in Hell" scenes and had room for it somewhere.) But I'm sorry anyone is devastated by the way the movie closed. Orlando has made the comment that he appreciated that it wasn't dumbed down . perhaps the angsty ending is a part of that. And as far as his own role, I thought the darkness in Will and the tragedy aspect just enhanced his performance - he had some powerful moments with his wonderfully understated style and expressive face in this one. Maybe even better than the sensuality. ::stops and remembers:: .. nah! :nope:

There was also a significance to the green light. Somebody correct me if I interpreted it incorrectly, but it symbolized that a soul had returned from the netherworld.

Yes, Sherwood, I think that's right or very close. I'll watch for that explanation next time.